IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Extended warranty on a 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 07:14 AM
tna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty on a 2011?

Anyone have recent experiences in purchasing a factory extended warranty for our car? Are there known issues with our car that appear after the original bumper-to-bumper warranty expires? I understand we still have a powertrain that's covered for 7 years, but there are so many things that an go wrong...like my rear shocks that were recently replaced (after two weeks of troubleshooting) because of unusual clicking/tapping noises.

It appears that some Lexus or Toyota dealers in Massachusetts and Louisiana sell the Lexus Platinum warranties for thousands less than the local dealers.
Old 11-12-15, 11:33 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

i recently purchased an extended warranty for my 2011 for $2400. I mostly did it for piece of mind.
Old 11-12-15, 12:17 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unless the car was rough when you bought it or something appears sketchy, I wouldn't do it.

1) It's a Lexus. Nuf said.

2) Lexus seems to be pretty good about "good willing" out of warranty repairs and covering some or all the cost.

3) These cars seem pretty dang reliable. I really can't find any real common issues with these cars. In some the earlier years, it sounds like some starters have failed. The labor to replace the unit is quite pricey due to where the starter is located. I believe the 2008s had some dashboard issues and there have been a few instances of noisy fuel pumps and shocks failing.

If this was a German, Korean, US, or English built car we were talking about, then yeah, get an extended warranty.
Old 11-12-15, 02:24 PM
tna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Isflamez
i recently purchased an extended warranty for my 2011 for $2400. I mostly did it for piece of mind.
What were the terms of the warranty?

It appears that the Platinum 8 year 75k warranty is about $1850. 100k is $2600. 125K is $3700.
Old 11-12-15, 02:26 PM
tna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XutvJet
Unless the car was rough when you bought it or something appears sketchy, I wouldn't do it.

1) It's a Lexus. Nuf said.

2) Lexus seems to be pretty good about "good willing" out of warranty repairs and covering some or all the cost.

3) These cars seem pretty dang reliable. I really can't find any real common issues with these cars. In some the earlier years, it sounds like some starters have failed. The labor to replace the unit is quite pricey due to where the starter is located. I believe the 2008s had some dashboard issues and there have been a few instances of noisy fuel pumps and shocks failing.

If this was a German, Korean, US, or English built car we were talking about, then yeah, get an extended warranty.
Normally, I am against extended warranties, but that rear suspension repair took way too long, and I was without my car for even longer. So, I'm a bit worried about the next four years
Old 11-12-15, 02:44 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Lexus warranty is 4yr/6yr or 50K/70K. I went with a warranty extension to 7yr/7yr when I bought my 2011. Worth it to have powertrain coverage for the expected ownership time of this vehicle (3 years)...longblock is $20K, bottom half is $10K. However, I did notice the 3 year bumper-to-bumper extension doesn't really cover much, just some more electronics basically - no panels and no interior stuff IIRC.
Old 11-13-15, 08:16 AM
Isflamez
Rookie

Originally Posted by tna
What were the terms of the warranty?

It appears that the Platinum 8 year 75k warranty is about $1850. 100k is $2600. 125K is $3700.

I got 75k or 2019
Old 11-13-15, 12:21 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're going to do it, hold off until the last few weeks or last 1,000 miles of the factory warranty. The extended warranty costs are negotiable. You can go to your Lexus dealer or call Lexus and buy it. I'd suggest this approach just in case you decide to sell prior to the extended warranty kicking in.

Also:

1) Pay close attention to the mileage of the extended warranty. For example, if you get an extended powertrain warranty for 3 years/100K miles, that means the powertrain warranty is extended from 6 years to 9 years and from 70K miles to 100K. Way too many people think it's an additional 100K miles. Nope.

2) Look at the extended warranty coverage very closely, especially any bumper to bumper extended warranties.

3) Only buy an extended warranty from Lexus, never a 3rd party company. Never.
Old 11-13-15, 12:33 PM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3) Only buy an extended warranty from Lexus, never a 3rd party company. Never.
Curious what your basis is on this? For reference, my third party warranty has already paid for itself when I had my drivers side a/f sensor and water pump replaced.
Old 11-13-15, 06:04 PM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Are you guys having success buying the warranties after the original warranty expires? I'm still trying to find a Lexus dealer to sell me a warranty but all the contacts that have been posted up here, I haven't gotten anywhere with getting in touch with them. Of the three one guy told me my car had too many miles to give me a warranty.
Old 11-13-15, 08:25 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KLexus50
Curious what your basis is on this? For reference, my third party warranty has already paid for itself when I had my drivers side a/f sensor and water pump replaced.
Spoken for truth!!! I purchased an extended warranty from the dealership (not Lexus) and it's paid for itself twice now. I had a water pump replaced (found during a recall) and radiator had to be replaced because the cooling fans broke. Funny thing is they knew about the cooling fans and the radiator broke when they had it in the shop.

I do agree that a Lexus is a Lexus, but sometimes the peace of mind is worth it. If you do get a 3rd party warranty make sure you read the fine print. Mine said that if I lived within 50 miles of the dealership I had to get the work done at their shop. After they screwed up the radiator I insisted I take it to my local Lexus dealership and I paid the difference between the two labor rates. The warranty paid $95/hr and Lexus charged $110/hr. It was done right and I was happy to pay the difference.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-14-15, 07:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

There is a recall for the cooling fan bolts, and if the radiator breaks in the repair process, it is covered by Lexus regardless of mileage. If you paid a dime out of pocket, you lost money.
Old 11-15-15, 09:36 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is a recall for the cooling fan bolts, and if the radiator breaks in the repair process, it is covered by Lexus regardless of mileage. If you paid a dime out of pocket, you lost money.
This pretty much was the case for my ISF during the pre-purchase inspection. Lexus replaced it with no questions due to the cooling fan recall work.

Still would not mind a Lexus warranty.. just need to keep searching..
Old 11-16-15, 05:19 AM
tna
Driver School Candidate

If you're going to do it, hold off until the last few weeks or last 1,000 miles of the factory warranty. The extended warranty costs are negotiable. You can go to your Lexus dealer or call Lexus and buy it. I'd suggest this approach just in case you decide to sell prior to the extended warranty kicking in.
Warrany is up this month. Still haven't decided. $1,900 for four extra years seems like a lot of money for Lexus's Platinum warranty, which doesn't cover the interior. People have said that the Platinum is just like the factory bumper-to-bumper. It is certainly not.
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w/#planning_center/vehicle_protection/vehicle_service_agreements/platinum_plan
Old 11-16-15, 09:55 AM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It would seem that I did. Funny how Lexus didn't mention this when they did the repair. Ooh well, it wasn't too much of a difference. I even took the car in for the 60k mile maintenance before all this happened. They did bring up one other recall, but nothing on the cooling fan bolts.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty on a 2011?