IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Are there many who work on their own ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 06:56 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It really just depends on my work schedule and whether or not I have the tools to do the job. If I have the time and it's not too terribly complicated, then I'll do the work...oil changes, suspension, brakes, exhaust...nothing too crazy.
Old 11-09-15, 07:23 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've done almost all of my mod installs, but regular maintenance is at the dealer, but only because I get a great deal on service.
Old 11-09-15, 07:35 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
So far, in the year that I've had the ISF:
- 2 oil changes done myself
- wiper blades replaced
- 4 wheel brake pads changed
- 4 wheel brake rotors changed
- Borla exhaust installed
- 2 downstream O2 sensors replaced (seized in exhaust)
- Summer / winter wheels swaps
Just curious what the O2 sensors socket did you use when installing the Borla exhaust ?
Old 11-09-15, 08:04 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only replaced the exhaust tips myself (removed bumper) in the 4 1/2 months I've had my F. Took it to the dealer for my 55k oil change as an excuse to start a relationship there, the first time I've ever had anyone else change my oil in 40 yrs of car ownership.
I'm gonna have a local shop install the PPE headers & exhaust, a place listed on PPE's website who have a great rep. on the MR2 board (I'm a long time Mr2 owner), they've done over a dozen header installs & have it down. Think I'll have them put the USRS at the same time, since they'll be doing an alignment after dropping the subframe.
Old 11-09-15, 10:16 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I know owning a car comes with a responsibility, and I take pride in being a good owner by tackling some of the jobs myself. But for things that I have not done prior, such as spark plug changes, I know that I am able to utilize CL as a solid resource, as well as contact those who are more mechanically-inclined with prior experience, for help and guide. It's not all about having a car that looks sexy- gotta put in the time to make her such, and it goes beyond just doing a thorough detail. And for things that I'm not too familiar with, I am fortunate to have a nearby shop with great guys who are always willing to lend a hand.
Old 11-10-15, 12:27 AM
H60Driver
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pat1
I do everything to all my vehicles. No one but me lays a finger on my cars.
+1 here too
Old 11-10-15, 02:28 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a mixed bag for me as well.

Servicing is done by Lexus to keep the service history all stamped up by the dealers, should I ever wish to sell the car on.

My coilovers and USRS were fitted by a very reputable Supra tuning shop, all the other aftermarket parts I installed with some help from a mate.

He also works at a bodyshop his Dad owns. so any paintwork is given to them to do.

I'll also get a local ICE shop to do any electrical work. Just for peace of mind more than anything.
Old 11-10-15, 05:20 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

I do everything to all my vehicles. No one but me lays a finger on my cars.
You do body work? It's pretty rare to find someone who can rebuild an engine and get panels straight or lay down a nice coat of paint. I suck at body work. Anything else, including machine work, porting, valve modification, no worries, but don't tell me to fix a dent and make it look like factory. Not going to happen.

Oh yeah, I don't do tires because I don't have the machine. I do alignments because I am hovering over the tech and if he doesn't do it the way I want it, I take the wrenches and fix it myself.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-10-15 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 05:54 AM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You do body work? It's pretty rare to find someone who can rebuild an engine and get panels straight or lay down a nice coat of paint. I suck at body work. Anything else, including machine work, porting, valve modification, no worries, but don't tell me to fix a dent and make it look like factory. Not going to happen.

Oh yeah, I don't do tires because I don't have the machine. I do alignments because I am hovering over the tech and if he doesn't do it the way I want it, I take the wrenches and fix it myself.

I do everything from top to bottom. Bodywork,paint work, engine and transmission work. Let's not for get about suspension and brakes and steering.

I built this Datsun 280 z with a 1jz 446hp @16 psi. I did everything but the tune and I mean everything.

Name:  image_zpspkg8cbfl.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  167.0 KB

Name:  image_zps2w0rn7dq.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  199.8 KB

Name:  image_zpshw8tpfwd.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  139.5 KB
Attached Thumbnails Are there many who work on their own ISF?-image.jpg  
Old 11-10-15, 06:04 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I built this Datsun 280 z with a 1jz 446hp @16 psi. I did everything but the tune and I mean everything.
Very nice 280 Z!

-Mike
Old 11-10-15, 06:11 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I do everything from top to bottom. Bodywork,paint work, engine and transmission work. Let's not for get about suspension and brakes and steering.

Holy smokes Pat! Why didn't you bring this to the house when you picked up the exhaust?! The F is nice and all...but daaaaamn!
Old 11-10-15, 07:08 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shyguyF
Just curious what the O2 sensors socket did you use when installing the Borla exhaust ?
I have a kit with about 8 different O2 socket styles.
The O2 didn't want to come out when the exhaust was on the car, so I removed the exhaust with the O2 sensors still in it.. The attempted to remove the sensors.. Even cut the shield off of one and used a pipe wrench after heating it up with a small torch.. No dice. Gave up.
8 year old car that was driven in the salted roads of the Canadian winters = exhaust parts are never easy
Old 11-10-15, 09:00 AM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Granted I don't own an ISF yet, but researching over the past few months had led me to believe that working on the ISF is generally easy and very much like my old G35 in terms of chassis arrangement. If you have a DIY interest, it's downright shocking how much money you can save doing your own work. Yes, you have to spend money on tools, but $500 in decent tools will let you save thousands in easy maintenance and repairs. It's really not that hard at all, especially if you have a decent impact gun, good socket set, a few good jacks and jack stands, panel removal tools, breaker bar, etc. There's no doubt in my mind I could have the rotors and pads replaced on all four axles in less than 2 hours on an ISF. Shock and/or spring install? 3-4 hours, maybe less. This is doing it in my garage with basic tools and an electric 350lb impact gun.

I probably have $3,000 in tools acquired over the years and have saved well in excess of $20,000 in repairs/maintenance doing my own work since the late 1990s.
Old 11-10-15, 10:40 AM
alnug
Driver School Candidate

Good to know there are a fair few who still get their hands dirty

Speaking of recalls. I had the radiator one done at dealers and ended up needing a new radiator because they cracked the plastic join to the hose when inspecting! All sorted amicably and not really anyone's fault but just beware when doing that recall to look out for leaks after.
Old 11-10-15, 10:43 AM
alnug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XutvJet
Granted I don't own an ISF yet, but researching over the past few months had led me to believe that working on the ISF is generally easy and very much like my old G35 in terms of chassis arrangement. If you have a DIY interest, it's downright shocking how much money you can save doing your own work. Yes, you have to spend money on tools, but $500 in decent tools will let you save thousands in easy maintenance and repairs. It's really not that hard at all, especially if you have a decent impact gun, good socket set, a few good jacks and jack stands, panel removal tools, breaker bar, etc. There's no doubt in my mind I could have the rotors and pads replaced on all four axles in less than 2 hours on an ISF. Shock and/or spring install? 3-4 hours, maybe less. This is doing it in my garage with basic tools and an electric 350lb impact gun.

I probably have $3,000 in tools acquired over the years and have saved well in excess of $20,000 in repairs/maintenance doing my own work since the late 1990s.
Totally agree with this, spent money on tools installed suspension twice regained back any cost associated already plus the tools are mine to use.

Quick Reply: Are there many who work on their own ISF?