IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF track day photo gallery and video thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 12:58 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What sought of tyres are you using ????

I've noticed a lot of you guys on here just use wider road rubber.

Are semi's or a fult on race slick out of the question or just prefer not to use???

I did prettymuch the same with my Supra when I first started tracking 15 years ago started with a wide road setup went to a Yokohamma AO48 AO32 set up before going to a square Dunlop 265 setup on all 4 corners the timed difference between the road and the slicks was upto 5 sec.s a over a 3.5 km lap.

I was just wondering why a lot of you F track-guys don't go down a similar route is all.

As the F is plenty capable of handling being gripped upand the driving characteristic after watching you guys is plenty stable enough.To be honest with youat some tracks with more gripI can see seconds to be had in some of the video footage you guys put up..
Old 08-28-16, 05:49 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Atlanta Motorsports Park

Finally made it out to AMP yesterday for my first track session. It was brutally hot and humid. Track temps hit 140+ by mid afternoon but the car performed flawlessly - even when the driver didn't . Juanmedina came along as well and did a great job. I think the Fs were well represented. Special thanks for Piston1047 for riding along and giving me some great advice. My lines steadily improved throughout the day and so did the smile on my face.. Even when the rain came. Ha. Still lots to work on but getting the first day under my belt was Fn awesome! Thanks to ZaxF, Piston and Torxuvin for answering the thousands of questions I had leading up to this. Add another addict to the group!

Heres a few laps from the last session I ran.
Old 08-28-16, 06:37 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Forgot to post this photo (courtesy of Juanmedina)

Old 08-28-16, 07:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Finally made it out to AMP yesterday for my first track session. It was brutally hot and humid. Track temps hit 140+ by mid afternoon but the car performed flawlessly - even when the driver didn't . Juanmedina came along as well and did a great job. I think the Fs were well represented. Special thanks for Piston1047 for riding along and giving me some great advice. My lines steadily improved throughout the day and so did the smile on my face.. Even when the rain came. Ha. Still lots to work on but getting the first day under my belt was Fn awesome! Thanks to ZaxF, Piston and Torxuvin for answering the thousands of questions I had leading up to this. Add another addict to the group!

RIGHT ON!!! Congrats man . Welcome to the track F'ers ! This time of the year sucks for tracking the car. Glad you got your fix .
Old 08-30-16, 01:19 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus ISF at Atlanta Motorsports Park 8-27-16 - YouTubeFinally made it out to AMP yesterday for my first track session. It was brutally hot and humid. Track temps hit 140+ by mid afternoon but the car performed flawlessly - even when the driver didn't . Juanmedina came along as well and did a great job. I think the Fs were well represented. Special thanks for Piston1047 for riding along and giving me some great advice. My lines steadily improved throughout the day and so did the smile on my face.. Even when the rain came. Ha. Still lots to work on but getting the first day under my belt was Fn awesome! Thanks to ZaxF, Piston and Torxuvin for answering the thousands of questions I had leading up to this. Add another addict to the group!

Hey Todd, thanks for the shout-out. It was fun doing a little instruction with you and Jaun. I think with some more track time and good instruction you can both drop some time and smooth out. For the first time out both of you where at a VERY good pace. AMP is a challenging track for the F due to how narrow and technical it is, but it also keeps you at a speed where errors are more manageable. Maybe next time I can join with my car. Sorry for the delayed response, but I can't let the track thread drop off the front page
Old 08-30-16, 02:23 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Lexus ISF at Atlanta Motorsports Park 8-27-16 - YouTubeFinally made it out to AMP yesterday for my first track session. It was brutally hot and humid. Track temps hit 140+ by mid afternoon but the car performed flawlessly - even when the driver didn't . Juanmedina came along as well and did a great job. I think the Fs were well represented. Special thanks for Piston1047 for riding along and giving me some great advice. My lines steadily improved throughout the day and so did the smile on my face.. Even when the rain came. Ha. Still lots to work on but getting the first day under my belt was Fn awesome! Thanks to ZaxF, Piston and Torxuvin for answering the thousands of questions I had leading up to this. Add another addict to the group!

F yeah! Congrats on your first track day... I'm sure there will be more to follow.. That turn 11 dip sounded brutal on a couple of those laps.. Did it seem that bad in the car?

-Mike
Old 08-31-16, 12:11 AM
sasostyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to 2:40 to see me 2 years ago at byron dragway in illinois with my cousins supercharged viper and porsche 911 twin turbo
Old 08-31-16, 05:53 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft
F yeah! Congrats on your first track day... I'm sure there will be more to follow.. That turn 11 dip sounded brutal on a couple of those laps.. Did it seem that bad in the car?

-Mike
Definitely - planning to do Road Atlanta next. My front left was rubbing hard on T11. Actually rubbed through the liner... Guess I need more compression next time. It did sound worse on the video than in car though. Saw the damage changing back to daily pads.
Old 09-01-16, 11:00 AM
flawless
Driver

Looking to get my car track prepped for some upcoming track days. I have KW V3's and stock wheels. Looking for tire size recommendations from those experienced at the track. I was already recommended the AD08R in 245/35 and 275/30 which are wider and a bit shorter than factory sizes.

Also looking for anyone running KW V3 and their experience overall.
Old 09-01-16, 11:57 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by autoz4me
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What sought of tyres are you using ????

I've noticed a lot of you guys on here just use wider road rubber.

Are semi's or a fult on race slick out of the question or just prefer not to use???

I did prettymuch the same with my Supra when I first started tracking 15 years ago started with a wide road setup went to a Yokohamma AO48 AO32 set up before going to a square Dunlop 265 setup on all 4 corners the timed difference between the road and the slicks was upto 5 sec.s a over a 3.5 km lap.

I was just wondering why a lot of you F track-guys don't go down a similar route is all.

As the F is plenty capable of handling being gripped upand the driving characteristic after watching you guys is plenty stable enough.To be honest with youat some tracks with more gripI can see seconds to be had in some of the video footage you guys put up..
I would assume most of us run street tires because of cost or flexibility (extra set of wheels, tow rig,trailer). Unless we are running in advanced group with a bunch of fast r-comp equipped cars ,something like the AD08R, RE-11s, RS3s are plenty sticky. I wouldn't recommend a street performance summer like a PSS or Conti DW though, unless you are in a slower HPDE group or just learning, if so the audible feedback of those tires is a good learning tool.
Old 09-01-16, 12:10 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flawless
Looking to get my car track prepped for some upcoming track days. I have KW V3's and stock wheels. Looking for tire size recommendations from those experienced at the track. I was already recommended the AD08R in 245/35 and 275/30 which are wider and a bit shorter than factory sizes.

Also looking for anyone running KW V3 and their experience overall.
I think that is a good recommendation, based on the F's stock wheels setup the AD08Rs are currently the best street/track tire if you want to keep ratios close. The RE-11s also come in those sizes but they are being phased out, so they might be hard to find. If you get a extra set of wheels at 18" your choices expand greatly and you can run RE-71s,RS3's, AD08s and other extreme performance tires. You experience and what you want out of the car really determines your width. As we all know staggered set-ups naturally under steer at the limit, although some find this to be a disadvantage, I have discovered this is usually due to overdriving the car or reading to much C&D articles. A staggered set-up it will provide you with a greater margin of safety and allow you to work on becoming smoother. If you are experienced and have been doing track weekends for a couple of years or some other sort of road racing then a square setup of 265 all the way around seems to be a way to go with the ISF.

I don't have any experience with V3's but from the spring rate specs and dampening curves you are looking at a softer set-up more for a lowered street car than track. BUT sometimes softer can be better if tuned right, so maybe they will perform great. They are probably better damped than a OEM 08-10 suspension but not much better than a 11+ suspension.
Old 09-01-16, 12:18 PM
flawless
Driver

Thank you Piston1047. I also have the stock suspension available, so it could be worth a conversation to determine if I am benefitting from the KW V3 or I should just switch them out and sell. My car came with a bunch of show pieces that aren't what I need for track time.
Old 09-01-16, 12:31 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flawless
Thank you Piston1047. I also have the stock suspension available, so it could be worth a conversation to determine if I am benefitting from the KW V3 or I should just switch them out and sell. My car came with a bunch of show pieces that aren't what I need for track time.
You could do that to free up some money but the V3s might perform fine, like I said, I have never driven on them in the F. The V3's do offer the advantage of dual adjustment (compression and rebound) which could be useful for track if you want to tune at that level. I would try them out and see how they work for you. If you really fell you need a stiffer set-up you could always run stiffer springs and have KW do a re-valve. My recommendation is sell the show stuff and buy a good set of 18" track wheels with one of the tire brands I recommended above.
Old 09-01-16, 01:02 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-01-16, 01:50 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I would assume most of us run street tires because of cost or flexibility (extra set of wheels, tow rig,trailer). Unless we are running in advanced group with a bunch of fast r-comp equipped cars ,something like the AD08R, RE-11s, RS3s are plenty sticky. I wouldn't recommend a street performance summer like a PSS or Conti DW though, unless you are in a slower HPDE group or just learning, if so the audible feedback of those tires is a good learning tool.
I've noticed this from a lot of you guys.

I'm just wondering because I went through the exact same dilemma once upon a time.

I did the street to semi to full race slick and as mentioned I think the grip you guys are experiencing now the further you go the more you get.

To me a full race slick has just tonnes more grip than any semi or road tyre and in my experience it was 3-5 seconds in a 3.5 km lap.

The only down side outside of carting a extra set of wheels to the track was with the Slicks your a lot harder on the car brakes and front end suspension joints bushes take an absolute hiding.

But the speed yyyooowwwzzzaaaa it as night and day and opened up a whole new level of performance.

Quick Reply: ISF track day photo gallery and video thread!