IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Questions about Swift Springs......

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 12:07 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
Default Questions about Swift Springs......

Since you can choose your spring rates for the swift upgrade when doing the BC coilovers, I was curious if you buy them as stand alone units can you still choose which spring rate you want (ex..14/10k...16/12k...18/14k etc....)??

Also for the guys who have installed swift springs on the stock shocks, have you seen an increase in performance (better cornering, better control etc..)? Or are they purely cosmetic for the slight drop that they give the F??

Thx guys
Old 10-29-15, 12:37 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I am running the front springs only on stock shocks and I love them - handling/performance are about the same IMO. I did not notice any degradation in performance nor did I notice a dramatic increase.

Comfort also stayed about the same on my 2011. My observations are purely street driving, I have not tracked the car.
Old 10-29-15, 12:47 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I am running the front springs only on stock shocks and I love them - handling/performance are about the same IMO. I did not notice any degradation in performance nor did I notice a dramatic increase.

Comfort also stayed about the same on my 2011. My observations are purely street driving, I have not tracked the car.
Any issues with camber and/or alignment?
Old 10-29-15, 12:50 PM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. I've had the Swifts on the front only for about a year. No complaints.

Originally Posted by msgs350
Any issues with camber and/or alignment?
None.
Old 10-29-15, 12:56 PM
Vervish
Racer

Front camber is out of spec (more negative than recommended) but not bad enough to cause tire wear issues. I also purchased and installed the Figs LCA bushings to be extra safe.
Old 10-29-15, 01:10 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Had it for a little over a year and its good, not that low but rides quality is great as well. I've taken my car to the track and its pretty stable.
Old 10-29-15, 02:01 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

You decided to just do the fronts only? So in essence you have different spring rates for the front and rear?

Front camber is out of spec (more negative than recommended) but not bad enough to cause tire wear issues. I also purchased and installed the Figs LCA bushings to be extra safe.
Yea I hope the camber won't be affected too much, I have the USRS from RR installed.
Originally Posted by chris07is
Had it for a little over a year and its good, not that low but rides quality is great as well. I've taken my car to the track and its pretty stable.
That's good to hear

Did you guys have an option to choose spring rates for the Swift springs like you can with coilovers?

I found the spring rates for the Swift springs:
Attached screen shot shows 8k rear & 9k front........... Why are they so soft? Not a suspension guru by any means but most guys are getting 14/10k on the swift springs when they order BC coil overs and even more maybe are going with 16k/12k spring rates......... what am I missing here??

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 10-29-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 02:20 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Here is the screenshot:

Old 10-29-15, 02:39 PM
Vervish
Racer

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
You decided to just do the fronts only? So in essence you have different spring rates for the front and rear?

Did you guys have an option to choose spring rates for the Swift springs like you can with coilovers?

I found the spring rates for the Swift springs:
Attached screen shot shows 8k rear & 9k front........... Why are they so soft? Not a suspension guru by any means but most guys are getting 14/10k on the swift springs when they order BC coil overs and even more maybe are going with 16k/12k spring rates......... what am I missing here??
I do not know what the stock spring rates are vs the swifts - but I was looking to have a slightly raked look. I made the change for aesthetics, but the good news is handling was not noticeably effected either way.

Not a suspension guru either, but I I think the low spring rate is a result of them being designed to work with stock shocks. Too high of a rate and the stock shocks would be overwhelmed and you would have a bouncy ride. This is not the case with coil overs - which in theory, have stiffer (and adjustable) valving.
Old 10-29-15, 03:00 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I concur with the others. I installed them on my 2008 this summer, there really isnt any noticable difference from stock, which is what i like, because i like the stock feeling. My only complaint is i wish the back springs lowered the car a full inch like the front.

Old 10-29-15, 03:31 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I do not know what the stock spring rates are vs the swifts - but I was looking to have a slightly raked look. I made the change for aesthetics, but the good news is handling was not noticeably effected either way.

Not a suspension guru either, but I I think the low spring rate is a result of them being designed to work with stock shocks. Too high of a rate and the stock shocks would be overwhelmed and you would have a bouncy ride. This is not the case with coil overs - which in theory, have stiffer (and adjustable) valving.
That makes sense on what you said about them being designed to work with stock shocks. Maybe you can only specify what spring rate you want with coil overs?

Curious is anybody knows what the stock spring rates are? And if they are similar to what swift put theirs at?
Old 10-29-15, 05:00 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

From my observations the springs were nearly identical in height from stock to swift. But the swift were much easily compressed than the stock springs, hence it sits lower with the weight on it. As far as performance i would say no change, lowered the center of gravity a hair but nothing durastic. Bumps seem to be absorbed well in the road hence the softer shock. Havent had any issues with speedbumps or bottoming out, cheap alternative and essentially problem free to erase that wheel gap. I know you've heard this from me gabe, but just wanted to chime in on it. You pose some good questions on factory spring rates, ill check back in, i could use some knowledge in suspension.