IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Are the 2011+ ISFs suffering from the front inner tire wear too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 05:53 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Are the 2011+ ISFs suffering from the front inner tire wear too?

I'm looking to buy an ISF and now I'm reading about the 2IS chassis suffering from front inner tire wear with many attributing it to the soft LCA bushing (see FIG fix) and the factory alignment. Most of the reports seem to be focused on the 2008-2010 ISFs and I see little about 2011+ owners reporting this issue. It's my understanding that the 2011+ front springs are slightly taller/higher and a different rate. Did this possibility help (inadvertently) correct the front inner tire wear issue?

I had a 2003 G35 and front inner tire wear plagued that car too and it was annoying and no real fix available. It had the same exact suspension setup on ALL components. We didn't smoke through the inner rubber tread, but rather it feathered like a ***** and if you didn't stay on top of it, your G/Z would sound and feel like a dump truck after about 10-15K miles because of the feathering.

I'm looking at 2012-2014 ISFs and I would check and correct the alignment if necessary. I know FIG makes a replacement bushing, but it's urethane and after about 20 years of modding cars, I've learned that urethane is best left to race cars. After about 5K miles, urethane needs regreasing and almost always leads to squeaking/clunking as the urethane loosens up after a year or two.
Old 10-21-15, 06:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

RR Racing also makes an LCA, with a thrust plate . Worst case there is a fix in this situation and its only a few hundred bucks. And that if you even need it . I think they did change bushings a little in the later model years but I am not sure
Old 10-21-15, 06:12 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

If you don't want to go aftermarket bushings, the RC-F bushings fit the IS-F and they are harder as well...
Old 10-21-15, 06:25 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the figs bushing along with an install done and am still experiencing inner front tire wear pretty fast. I had the bushing put on and an alignment done in in april probably a week or 2 after getting new tires. I had to flip the fronts in july and am noticing pretty quick inner tire wear. I think the toe might be off although the alignment sheet I have said its zeroed. I'm guessing that the tires might have had some toe wear prior to the alignment and it was not aligned properely. I only put 100-200 miles a week on the car too. When its time for new tires i'll get an alignment at a different spot and see if it fixes it. My STi had -7 degrees of camber and didn't wear nearly as fast on cheap nankang tires.
Old 10-21-15, 07:39 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No issues before or after my Figs bushings were installed. MY12
Old 10-21-15, 09:06 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
I'm looking to buy an ISF and now I'm reading about the 2IS chassis suffering from front inner tire wear with many attributing it to the soft LCA bushing (see FIG fix) and the factory alignment. Most of the reports seem to be focused on the 2008-2010 ISFs and I see little about 2011+ owners reporting this issue. It's my understanding that the 2011+ front springs are slightly taller/higher and a different rate. Did this possibility help (inadvertently) correct the front inner tire wear issue?

I had a 2003 G35 and front inner tire wear plagued that car too and it was annoying and no real fix available. It had the same exact suspension setup on ALL components. We didn't smoke through the inner rubber tread, but rather it feathered like a ***** and if you didn't stay on top of it, your G/Z would sound and feel like a dump truck after about 10-15K miles because of the feathering.

I'm looking at 2012-2014 ISFs and I would check and correct the alignment if necessary. I know FIG makes a replacement bushing, but it's urethane and after about 20 years of modding cars, I've learned that urethane is best left to race cars. After about 5K miles, urethane needs regreasing and almost always leads to squeaking/clunking as the urethane loosens up after a year or two.
All years can experience premature tire wear, none are impervious to it. My car had it to a certain degree at 7k miles. Currently 5600 miles on the Figs LCA. Not a peep out of them like old school urethane leaf eye bushings.
Old 10-21-15, 09:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

my issue was I had the tires installed and then had the alignment done 5 k later forgetting that they only last 6-8k if you are lucky ( I still truly have no ISFing idea how people say they can get 25k out of a set of PSS. NO WAY IN HELL ......even with no track days in my experience.....at least not the way I drive my car )
Old 10-21-15, 10:19 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FIGs bushings and have no issues for almost 10k miles. What part would you even grease on these bushings?

I have noticed no premature tire wear on the fronts. The tires have about 15k miles on them. The slop when braking is also gone.
Old 10-22-15, 05:31 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie
I have the FIGs bushings and have no issues for almost 10k miles. What part would you even grease on these bushings?

I have noticed no premature tire wear on the fronts. The tires have about 15k miles on them. The slop when braking is also gone.
The metal sleeve on the inside pops out and is grooved.
Old 10-22-15, 08:39 AM
Pie
Driver

Originally Posted by Lmood
The metal sleeve on the inside pops out and is grooved.
Ahh thanks. I didn't do the install on these because I don't have a shop press. I don't think it'll be too much work to remove them and regrease if needed. Probably easier than spark plugs
Old 10-22-15, 08:46 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie
Ahh thanks. I didn't do the install on these because I don't have a shop press. I don't think it'll be too much work to remove them and regrease if needed. Probably easier than spark plugs
Get the ones pre-installed on the factory brackets. No press needed and you get $60 back when you return the old brackets to Figs.
Old 10-22-15, 08:47 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie
Yup, just take a socket big enough to make contact and tap it out with a hammer. Not sure if you can get them out with a punch while they are on the car though.
Old 10-22-15, 09:02 AM
Pie
Driver

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Get the ones pre-installed on the factory brackets. No press needed and you get $60 back when you return the old brackets to Figs.
I wanted the pre-installed ones, but they were unavailable with no ETA at the time
Old 11-18-15, 09:13 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Got the Figs front LCA bushings installed about 1.5 years ago, and with CA weather turning "cold" recently, the bushings are groaning/squeaking badly. (Front tire wear is definitely a non-issue now.)

How does one "easily" reapply the grease?

I don't see how one can just remove the LCA nut and push out the inner sleeve to clean and regrease the bushings "inner crosshatches?"

Won't the weight of the car on the LCA Spindle prevent the inner sleeve to move?

And even if one is able to "push out the inner sleeve," won't the LCA spindle be in the way of accessing the inner crosshatches?

Thanks for anyone's input.

****And read through all the pages at this forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-duro-hp.html
Old 11-18-15, 09:33 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

RR Racing is sending out lube for there bushings if there is noise. RR racing is awesome. Great parts and great service. I will admit though , if my bushings get noisy and its not resolvable with a little grease I will remove them. I am extremely **** about rattle and noise with my cars. Plus my tires never last with all the track time I do. So inner tire wear doesnt really pop up because the tires go so damn fast

Quick Reply: Are the 2011+ ISFs suffering from the front inner tire wear too?