IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Likely future ISF owner (?s) (former WRX/EVO owners step in)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 04:30 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Likely future ISF owner (?s) (former WRX/EVO owners step in)

It is very likely that I'll be buying a 2012-2014 ISF in the near future. I currently drive a 2012 WRX Limited hatchback with a Stage 1 tune, a very pricey Bilstein shock/spring setup, sway bars, fancy larger/wider rims, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, plus a handful of other mods to improve driveability, turbo spool, and creature comfort.

I've eyed the ISF ever since they came out and the improvements to the 2011+ cars sweetened the deal. I've owned my WRX for almost 3.5 years now and it's been bulletproof. The thing is amusingly raw, quite quick with the Stage 1 tune (low low 13s@104mph), and with the suspension and wheels/tires, the handling is bonkers compared to stock (which wasn't bad at all to start with). However, the interior quality is lacking, specifically the car is a rattle trap. I've spent countless hours removing nearly every interior panel and using well over 100 linear feet of black felt tape to quell the rattles. The car now is quite solid and is nearly rattle proof. It's fine for what it is, a souped up economy car (paid $28,200). However, the hollowness of the doors, the plastic fantastic interior (hardly any soft touch materials), and general cheapness of the car was worn on me a bit and I think I'm ready to get back into a sport luxury car again. I had owned a modded G35 sedan for 7 years prior to the WRX. To me, the ISF seems to represent both the qualities of my old G and the WRX.

So, now you know my lengthy story. I'd like to get some opinions from those, especially that owned WRXs and EVOs prior, regarding their feelings of the ISF after owning it for a while. Specifically:

1) Do these cars rattle and creak much, especially in the winter? I do live an area that experiences sub 30 degree temps for weeks on end.

2) Prior WRX/EVO owners: Are you bored with driving a more refined sports/muscle sedan? Do you miss the rawness, point/shoot capability, and nutty launch potential of an AWD turbo car?

3) Does driving the automatic get old? My G was an auto. I'd likely use the manual mode in the ISF fairly often, but I'm worried that may get boring.

4) What are people seeing 50% city and 50% highway driving? My WRX sees about 21-22 in this type of driving and I'm not exactly soft on the throttle when given the change. Fuel costs aren't a big deal to me, I just want to make sure I'm not having to fill this thing weekly and only get 250 miles to the tank.
Old 10-12-15, 04:41 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I daily a 2008 Evo X.
I'm excited to drive the ISF every time. I'm also excited to the drive the Evo most of the time as well.
If you don't get a loud exhaust, your car shouldn't creak much. I have no cats from the exhaust manifolds down and the car doesn't like to keep quiet. However, all of that has been mitigated with foam tape.
I can't comment on winter driving.
The exhaust note of the F is incredible, especially when paired with an exhaust. The tranny upshifts virtually as fast as a dct. I find that a mix of manual from the evo and paddles from the F offers the perfect balance--but it's a given that too much of one thing does get annoying. I miss the clutch pedal in the F sometimes, and I even try to ghost-paddle shift in the Evo. You won't be disappointed with the tranny, but members on here do yearn for a manual.
You'll probably get around the same gas mileage (8 gears). Most I've gotten on the highway continuously was 29mpg.
ISFs trap in the mid teens so you'll definitely enjoy the power bump. Only gripe I have is the lack of aftermarket, but that's surely being looked at by dedicated vendors on here
Good luck in your search. The F is sensational!
Old 10-12-15, 05:07 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Good post JDMV8 you are correct. There are some plus and minus, its a very solid car and don't have any creaks of vibrations. Aftermarket is terrible, not many will spend the time and money to create a product for such a small pool of potential buyers. You'll surely miss the sound of a turbo in the exhaust, but the F can deliver a deep powerful note you'll forget about. Manual shift is extemely quick, paddles or shift ****, would love a manual just for the leisure of being "one" with the car, but the auto in traffic is definitely nice. Can't really go wrong, its a rare car, especially in kansas. Whatever your choice is, good luck!
Old 10-12-15, 05:16 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

The ISF is one of a kind. I love the way it is a sleeper. Not a lot of people know about these. I hate it when people think it's a "F Sport"
Old 10-12-15, 09:41 PM
XutvJet
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Turbos are fun and the surge is amusing. I've never gotten quite used to the lag though, especially at throtten tip-in. It would be nice to have a strong NA motor again. The ISF would be the quickest and fastest car I've ever owned. Also the nicest.

I'm not too worried about the aftermarket. It's plenty for me and the car appears to be fast enough. My goal is to have a newer Cayman S manual in the stable in another 3 to 4 years. The ISF would stay for a very long time. The reliability factor is huge for me. I know an M3 is arguably the better performer, but I want something that will last. I'm willing to trade a few tenths of a second here and there for the peace of mind.
Old 10-13-15, 08:13 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 07 STI new, drove it daily for 7 years and in the past year of owning the ISF, I don't miss the STI at all.
Old 10-13-15, 08:19 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't miss my lightly modded WRX at all. I kind of miss shifting, but the auto does a better job shifting than I could and is surprisingly quick for what it is. All in all I don't regret moving on and not having a manual isn't killing me.
Old 10-13-15, 08:39 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
Fuel costs aren't a big deal to me, I just want to make sure I'm not having to fill this thing weekly and only get 250 miles to the tank.
I average about 270 a tank and fill up probably once a week........... so don't know you'd fare but more than likely it'll be under 300 miles a tank depending on your foot and weekly fill ups.
Old 10-13-15, 09:44 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by XutvJet
Turbos are fun and the surge is amusing. I've never gotten quite used to the lag though, especially at throtten tip-in. It would be nice to have a strong NA motor again. The ISF would be the quickest and fastest car I've ever owned. Also the nicest.

I'm not too worried about the aftermarket. It's plenty for me and the car appears to be fast enough. My goal is to have a newer Cayman S manual in the stable in another 3 to 4 years. The ISF would stay for a very long time. The reliability factor is huge for me. I know an M3 is arguably the better performer, but I want something that will last. I'm willing to trade a few tenths of a second here and there for the peace of mind.
Actually, at least at VIR, a 2011 has better performance than an m3.
Old 10-13-15, 09:45 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I had a pretty heavily modded Legacy Spec B (bigger turbo, injectors, FMIC, E85 tune, coilovers, sway bars etc,). It was a very fast but very raw car. 0-60 and 1/4 mile in a heavily modded suby will probably always be slightly faster - but after 60 mph, even in stock form, the F is relative beast compared to my Suby. IMO, highway speed stability and acceleration is at a completely different level with the F.

Some answers to your specific questions.

1 - My F is rattle free - and it is incredibly refined (compared to the suby).

2 - I miss the AWD - the F needs to be handled gently in the rain, no more flooring out of a corner in the wet. At the same time, its nice to be able to launch hard in the dry and not need to worry about your clutch.

3 - I love the auto - it shift incredibly quickly in sport mode and is much quicker than shifting manually. With that said - I miss "feel" of the manual. I am not sure any auto or dual clutch tranny can ever give you that feel tho.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-13-15, 09:58 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a heavily modded 04 STi. I got tired of the unreliable 400whp thing. I went through one block at 25k and then it was on its way out at around 65k after being built. I dumped it and got my 08 isf. I miss the fact that I didn't much care if the the STi got dirty when i took it on trips or camping or out in the field. That's about all I miss from it. Driving the ISF never gets boring. It's a solid car.
Old 10-13-15, 11:43 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What everyone else has said, very reliable solid car - really does feel like a quality luxury car inside. Side note I drove the M3 and ISF back to back (both 08) and the performance gap between them is so close to nonexistent it doesn't matter, and the '11 is apparently faster than an M
Old 10-13-15, 11:49 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
2 - I miss the AWD - the F needs to be handled gently in the rain, no more flooring out of a corner in the wet. At the same time, its nice to be able to launch hard in the dry and not need to worry about your clutch.
That was a lesson I learned quickly. I had RWD before the F, but not nearly at the same power level...rain is a completely different experience now.
Old 10-13-15, 11:59 AM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my 08 ISF after owning an 07 STI for 5 years.

1) Do these cars rattle and creak much, especially in the winter? I haven't noticed anything but I also drive on stiff suspension and low.

2) Prior WRX/EVO owners: yes and no. I love the sound of a v8 but I do miss having boost at times.

3) Does driving the automatic get old? the paddle shifters are fun and shift very fast but I do wish it came in a manual like the M3.

4) What are people seeing 50% city and 50% highway driving? I'm averaging about 18-20mpg but my commute is only 10 miles each way so its mostly city driving.

To be honest I do miss the STI but would never get rid of my F for another one. I don't miss the cheap interior, ringlands, or always getting pulled over. I also love being able to run a staggered wheel setup.
Old 10-13-15, 12:02 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 02 WRX, 13 STI, and 04 WRX wagon. They can't hold a candle to the ISF. They're slow, laggy, feel cheap, and you constantly worry about blowing a ringland or the tranny.

The ISF is better built, more grown up, and an absolute beast. Just drive one! I haven't looked back at any of my Subarus for a second after I got this.

Quick Reply: Likely future ISF owner (?s) (former WRX/EVO owners step in)