IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 vs 2011 IS F Worth the Premium?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 06:48 PM
Ezeien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 vs 2011 IS F Worth the Premium?

Hey there clublexus. This is my first post on the site and after doing some extensive research I've boiled down to what the title says. I know the differences between all of the model years for the most part but my main concern is it worth the extra cash to obtain the updated LSD from the 2010+ models and the updated ride quality from the 2011 model? I don't have either model year in my area unfortunately, so I cannot drive either but I am certain this is the car I want to purchase. Because of this fact, I am really relying on what you guys have to say about this issue. Any information and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I am in my mid 20s, so the rougher ride quality in a 08 probably won't kill me necessarily, but a smoother ride is always a nice thing and I don't want to have a "what if" thought when I purchase my car. Also, this car will be used as a DD in Houston. Thanks for reading the post and all of the future comments!
Old 10-11-15, 06:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

in short............YES !!!!!!
Old 10-11-15, 07:03 PM
Ezeien
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
in short............YES !!!!!!
Haha thanks, I figured the answer would be yes. This could be a long shot, but do you know what a typical spread between the two would be? Thanks again!
Old 10-11-15, 07:47 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 08, but no matter which year I bought it was going to get slammed on coilovers quickly! I do wish I had the upgraded headlights and lsd though.
Good luck
Old 10-11-15, 08:00 PM
Ezeien
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blckbrd
I've got an 08, but no matter which year I bought it was going to get slammed on coilovers quickly! I do wish I had the upgraded headlights and lsd though.
Good luck
Another thought I had if I were to go with an 08 was to just get coilovers. Would this be comparable with the 2011 suspension?
Old 10-11-15, 09:09 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 09 and went with coilovers since it was rough, honestly the 11 is a much better buy. I like the 11 wheels to the point I wouldn't get aftermarket the cluster is nice the seats are nicer and the LSD is well worth the money so yes 11+ is worth the extra cash.
Old 10-11-15, 09:23 PM
Ezeien
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I have an 09 and went with coilovers since it was rough, honestly the 11 is a much better buy. I like the 11 wheels to the point I wouldn't get aftermarket the cluster is nice the seats are nicer and the LSD is well worth the money so yes 11+ is worth the extra cash.
Thanks for the input. Funny, I prefer the wheels on the older models over the newer although both look great and that isn't a deal breaker. It does seem like the 2011 is the better choice though
Old 10-11-15, 09:40 PM
V8Lex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got 2011 just for the LED DRLs
Old 10-11-15, 09:49 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you're happy to mod I'd go for the 08. You could easily put coilovers and and lsd if you wanted..and swap headlights should you desire.

When I was shopping I decided I wanted to mod as little as possible; I ended up going with the 2011 for that reason.

I haven't driven the 08-09's so I can't comment on how firm the ride is. From all the research I did the 2010/2011+ suspension changes really changed the F ride...almost handling like another vehicle.
Old 10-11-15, 10:12 PM
Tapangb
Driver

It is worth it. I test drove a couple MY2009s before I decided to go with my 2012 ISF. The upgraded suspension, rims, usb outlet, gauge cluster, LSD, headlights, thicker steering wheel, and seats were more than enough to help with that decision. I paid about $5k more for the 2012 than the price they wanted for the 2009s. Good luck and hope this helps!
Old 10-11-15, 10:27 PM
EyeSF
Rookie

2012 is $5K more than 09? Around here it's more like around $10K. Maybe I should search harder.
Old 10-11-15, 10:32 PM
Tapangb
Driver

Just depends. I was on the search for one for a long time and got lucky. I even test drove a 2011 that was selling for $36k with 30k miles but it had been in an accident and had a history of being stolen with a lot of body work needed done to it. Had to expand my search out of my area and got the one I wanted with 40k miles.
Old 10-12-15, 12:01 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I can see it from both perspectives, but I currently own a 2008 and have been asked why I don't get a newer F.

MY 2008
*Tachometer: some prefer the standard look with the MPH/KMH on one side and the RPMs on the other

*non-LED strip headlights: it does come with AFS, which might not mean much, but for those who've done the swap know the issue with an AFS warning light on

*suspension: definitely stiffer than later MYs, but not that stiff (in my opinion)

*wheels: arguably the best between the two sets of wheels with a 8J/9J width (before Lexus added an extra 1/2 in in MY2012)

MY2011
*LED headlights with strip: newer look, refreshed, and looks current with the rest of the Lexus lineup

*LSD: one of the most sought after items on the forums classifieds, as the Torsen stock unit truly transforms the ride, as seen in comparable lap times documented

*HDD navigation and bluetooth streaming: an item that I wish was included in the earlier years, but added starting from this MY

*programmable Smart Key Wallet Card: a novelty item, yes, but it is definitely a space saver in the pants pocket

I have seen members sell their older Fs only to get into a newer one (2010+). I have also read and heard that those with coilovers on an older F have a better ride quality than a stock newer one with revised suspension. Of course, older F owners, like myself and a few others on the board, have chosen to go with an aftermarket LSD since all we have are the open diffs. Wheels can be swapped out to something that fits one's taste. The newer headlights are technically plug and play, but with older Fs, the AFS light will be on, unless one decides to cover it up or pop a fuse.

I, too, am in my mid 20s, and honestly I didn't mind the ride quality when I was driving stock. I only switched to coilovers because I wanted to control the ride height and add stiffer springs to a front-heavy car. I get asked about why I don't make the change to a newer F, and outside of the LSD, it doesn't have anything that I would want; maybe bluetooth streaming, but I have something else in mind for that.

It comes down to you and what you prefer. I know, being that you're unable to test drive the vehicles, it will be hard to judge solely based on the comments, but definitely keep researching on the forums and hopefully you'll find one at the dealer to at least get a feel for it before you purchase it.

Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see you in your F soon!

Last edited by bnizzle87; 10-12-15 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 06:12 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded an 08 for an 11 when they made me a trade offer I couldn't refuse. The 11 is an upgrade in ride quality and has a few things different but it's not like it's night and day better than an 08. I will say that on the bumpy brick streets around my house my wife's breasts bounced quite a bit more in the 08 compared to the 11. Maybe I should have kept the 08 for this reason alone. But all is well as far as her bouncing breasts go, I now have a 6 speed manual CTS-V and can really make those babies bounce at will now.
The following users liked this post:
Desecate (11-27-20)
Old 10-12-15, 08:45 AM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I can see it from both perspectives, but I currently own a 2008 and have been asked why I don't get a newer F.

MY 2008
*Tachometer: some prefer the standard look with the MPH/KMH on one side and the RPMs on the other

*non-LED strip headlights: it does come with AFS, which might not mean much, but for those who've done the swap know the issue with an AFS warning light on

*suspension: definitely stiffer than later MYs, but not that stiff (in my opinion)

*wheels: arguably the best between the two sets of wheels with a 8J/9J width (before Lexus added an extra 1/2 in in MY2012)

MY2011
*LED headlights with strip: newer look, refreshed, and looks current with the rest of the Lexus lineup

*LSD: one of the most sought after items on the forums classifieds, as the Torsen stock unit truly transforms the ride, as seen in comparable lap times documented

*HDD navigation and bluetooth streaming: an item that I wish was included in the earlier years, but added starting from this MY

*programmable Smart Key Wallet Card: a novelty item, yes, but it is definitely a space saver in the pants pocket

I have seen members sell their older Fs only to get into a newer one (2010+). I have also read and heard that those with coilovers on an older F have a better ride quality than a stock newer one with revised suspension. Of course, older F owners, like myself and a few others on the board, have chosen to go with an aftermarket LSD since all we have are the open diffs. Wheels can be swapped out to something that fits one's taste. The newer headlights are technically plug and play, but with older Fs, the AFS light will be on, unless one decides to cover it up or pop a fuse.

I, too, am in my mid 20s, and honestly I didn't mind the ride quality when I was driving stock. I only switched to coilovers because I wanted to control the ride height and add stiffer springs to a front-heavy car. I get asked about why I don't make the change to a newer F, and outside of the LSD, it doesn't have anything that I would want; maybe bluetooth streaming, but I have something else in mind for that.

It comes down to you and what you prefer. I know, being that you're unable to test drive the vehicles, it will be hard to judge solely based on the comments, but definitely keep researching on the forums and hopefully you'll find one at the dealer to at least get a feel for it before you purchase it.

Best of luck, and hopefully we'll see you in your F soon!
You can get the credit card key for an 08, I have it for mine. Have to use the 08 LX570 version.

Quick Reply: 2008 vs 2011 IS F Worth the Premium?