Traded 2010 ISF for 1989 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 08:06 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Traded 2010 ISF for 1989 4runner

Well, not exactly!

Actually, throttle lag on turns has pissed me off so much that I stuck the car in storage where it will remain until I find something to trade it in on.

Enter corner, wot..................... literally complete the corner before ecu gives me any throttle. Trac/vsc off/on, same story. Feel like I have a good chance of getting ran over as 6 out of ten times the delay in throttle response is so slow I may as well toss it into neutral.

Feels like if it senses any yaw rate at all, throttle is neutered.

Going to drive my 89 4Runner now. It may have 300 less horsepower but the throttle works
Old 10-06-15, 08:10 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

You my friend need a throttle controller
Old 10-06-15, 08:17 PM
INTMD8
Driver

^^ I will read up on it.

In the meantime let me go move the car from the train tracks I parked it on
Old 10-06-15, 08:45 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
^^ I will read up on it.

In the meantime let me go move the car from the train tracks I parked it on

I'm calling child protective services on you how you going to leave a baby on a train track
lol yea you should look not it if thats your problem there a few options i personally have a apexi throttle controller and it made a big difference easy install to 25-30 mins max and you don't have to be an automotive genius to install it
Old 10-06-15, 08:56 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Is it the transmission lag your talking about? I could see that happening in auto mode.. if so then yeah, you're out of luck unless you put it into manual.

If it's the motor, that sounds really strange. I punch it out of corners all day with vsc off and it's like a bat out of hell.
Old 10-06-15, 09:23 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Though the trans in auto mode isn't brilliant, what I'm experiencing is throttle.

Tried it in manual mode as well several times. Approach corner, downshift with paddles, 2nd gear, release brake and transfer to throttle at corner entry............nothing

halfway through corner I have throttle to the floor? Still nothing, until I straighten out the steering wheel and I feel the ecu open the throttle blade.

This again is with trac/vsc off (or on) and usually relates to a corner. Have not noticed any real problems in a straight line or slight steering input.
Old 10-06-15, 09:36 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Here we go, just jam that back in the corner....

Old 10-06-15, 09:37 PM
INTMD8
Driver

And pull out the trusty 4Runner

Old 10-06-15, 10:00 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if it could possibly be an issue with your torsen/rear diff; besides a fluid change they are usually maintenence free though.

And your 4runner looks like it just rolled out of the showroom back in 89! Nice..
Old 10-06-15, 11:32 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks like you're talking about the dead zone between the top of the pedal down a few centimeters until the throttle engages. Sport mode eliminates almost all of this dead zone. A throttle controller like Apexi completely eliminates it, especially if used concurrently with sport mode.
You are funny!
Old 10-07-15, 06:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

There is something wrong with your car. Mine never does this. Ever. I can cross it up with the throttle any time I want to with VSC off. VSC almost never limits throttle. It actuates brakes. AMHIK.
Old 10-07-15, 08:12 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this makes me sad.. haha
Old 10-07-15, 08:13 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also think there may be something wrong with your car.

I winter drive my F, and with VSC off, in the snow, I can get crazy yaw angle with zero throttle cut.

With VSC on, even accelerating in a straight line, if there is no traction, the throttle sometimes gets cut completely, and I'm sitting there pumping the gas pedal with the engine doing nothing, and it can be annoying sometimes.

Are you holding the Trac button down for 5 seconds while the car is stopped? If you just push the button, VSC doesn't disable
Old 10-07-15, 08:45 AM
INTMD8
Driver

Makes me sad too! ^^

Yes I'm holding the button with the car stopped, dash is lit up with trac off vsc off.

I can drift the car from a dead stop rolling into the throttle and mid corner it will accept more throttle and is easily controllable.

The problem I'm having is coming into a corner quickly while braking, turn in and use aggressive throttle (off the brake, I'm not braking with my left foot) and there is literally -zero- throttle. I just about fall into the steering wheel as I'm expecting acceleration and the car just coasts through the turn.

Then as my foot is still to the floor and I start to exit the corner you can hear the induction roar as the throttle body starts to open. This sometimes happens without braking at slower speeds. Usually not an issue from a steady speed above 40mph.

I've been doing some reading and I've seen some mention similar driving characteristics after getting the gas pedal recall. I will check to see if that has been done.

The more I think about it I don't think a throttle controller will fix this, I'm already at wide open throttle with no response from the car, not talking about tip in/part throttle.
Old 10-07-15, 09:00 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never had this problem, even with VSC still on. i have no clue what your issue might be but it does not sound normal to me. Also is that a 355 i see in that shot? you have quite the collection

Last edited by nks979; 10-07-15 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Traded 2010 ISF for 1989 4runner