IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F ECU remap in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 02:45 PM
pilsner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F ECU remap in Europe

Now we have a tuning company in Europe that can remap also Lexus IS-F ECU-s (and also other Toyota and Lexus models) The company said that the theoretical gains are 423@440 hp and 505@555 nm (so +17hp and +50nm from engine). Looks like im going to be the IS-F from Estonia to test that tune.

And oh..i forgot. The price is 400 € = 450 $.

Stay tuned for more information...soon And this is not a joke
Old 10-06-15, 02:50 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

I find it hard to believe, I thought our ECUs hadn't been cracked.
Old 10-06-15, 02:55 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

USDM ECU's have not been cracked. European and Middle Eastern ECU's are supposedly more similar to the JDM ECU's and if so are easier to crack.
Old 10-06-15, 04:08 PM
CPN83
Driver School Candidate

Old 10-06-15, 08:30 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have info for said company?
Old 10-06-15, 09:08 PM
myspec15
Driver

why is the USDM is hard to remap or flash
Old 10-06-15, 09:30 PM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this an ECU or a dongle that you have to connect to OBD and upload a file?
Old 10-06-15, 11:32 PM
pilsner
Driver School Candidate

The company name is HERS Tuning www.herstuning.eu. They also have FB page. Soon im going to have a go (dyno before and after the tuning).
Old 10-07-15, 12:27 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds interesting,let us know what happens
Old 10-07-15, 04:21 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to get excited about this time since we been burn before , but I am crossing my finger and hope that this option works.

Last edited by juanmedina; 10-07-15 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 06:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Very skeptical. If they have a connection to Gazoo Racing, maybe, but without it, I'm betting this ends up a lot like the MHP thread.
Old 10-07-15, 06:56 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree with everyone that has their doubts on this.

Had someone here in the UK that said they new a company that could remap the F.

When I followed up, they said they didn't have any options for our cars, but would happily take a look if I wanted to be a guinea pig.

Pretty sure the solutions are not permanent. Namely the ECU will re-learn and revert to the OEM settings after a period of time. Hopefully that's not the case with this option, but I'll wait and see how the op gets on with his first!
Old 10-07-15, 07:01 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Interested

Please keep us posted on update would love a tune hope it's not bs
Old 10-07-15, 07:34 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought I had at least a general idea of how a reflash/tune worked, but now I am not sure. Just a question to help me understand why these efforts go nowhere (so far). If the ECU "reverts" back to OEM settings, then what are the programmers/tuners actually tuning or programming? My understanding, up until now, was that tuners basically told (programmed with codes and values) what the ECU was to recognize as the "new stock" run parameters. If this changed, then no record of "original stock" or OEM values should remain because they would have been overwritten by the new values. How then would a car go back to stock if stock is no longer in the ECU? Does the ECU learn these values from attached sensor/system input?
Old 10-07-15, 07:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,332 Posts

There are many tables in the Toyota ECM. Some are base parameters like A/F ratio and ignition timing. Other tables contain target values for sensor readings under specific conditions to ensure the engine is operating as designed. Some of the tables are required to be "open" for updates by EPA and DOT/NHTSA. Toyota only allows access to the tables required by law and burns hard values into the rest of the parameters. So changing something like cam timing is impossible because once the tables are loaded, the ability to reprogram them is severed physically on the CPU. The Denso processor is full custom including the instruction set, and there is no documentation available to the public to understand what is going on with which pins and how to address any change to the system. Add to this all the memory is physically resident on the CPU die, and you have set a pretty high bar for anyone who would like to directly access the device.

Years ago, it was possible to purchase the CPUs and install a daughterboard with a separate CPU and memory. A company called G-Force in SoCal was doing this for Supras a long time ago. G-Force is now Technosquare. Their top tech at the time, a guy they called Tadashi, had the ability to see the maps, but because no one outside of Toyota had access to the source code or instruction set, it was nearly impossible to decode most of the engine operating parameters. Fuel and timing maps, rev limits, and speed limits were relatively simple to fix. Anything outside that was a much bigger challenge, and in fact, they weren't able to remove the speed limiter, only adjust it to a value the system was unlikely to ever see. Toyota's code has become far more complex in the last 22 years with drive by wire throttles, VVTi, and ECTi, deeper integration with VDIM, and a small host of other features intended to reduce parts count and harness weight.

The original Supra ECMs didn't allow any reflashing at all, and if Toyota had their way, it would be no different today. Write once memory (ROM) is common in embedded systems, and including EEPROM/flash capability is something Toyota did only by force of law.

To ice the cake, they have physically removed the normal routes of access to their CPU, and used an encryption scheme built on its own standard since they have no compelling reason to follow any conventional scheme in applying encryption.

Quick Reply: IS-F ECU remap in Europe