IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help!!! ISF is redlining @7200rpm!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 07:28 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't express this enough, go to the drag strip!!!!! All you will need is a helmet. Just take a look at this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ce-thread.html

this is the only way to actually tell if the ecu is making any difference. I for one would love to see what happens.
Old 10-08-15, 07:34 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BS ISF
I can't express this enough, go to the drag strip!!!!! All you will need is a helmet. Just take a look at this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ce-thread.html

this is the only way to actually tell if the ecu is making any difference. I for one would love to see what happens.
I think I just might.

And who knows, if it's flatter than this , I might have better results.
Old 10-08-15, 09:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci
Toyota ECUs even on factory n/a cars WILL see afrs drop to close to 10:1 at WOT... Certainly under 11:1. I've dynoed enough to know this.
Also, I've run the same car on the same dyno (an SC400) with the factory ECU and then with an aftermarket one and picked up over 15% increase in power. That is with NO hardware/mechanical changes at all, just far better ignition and afr maps. So the gains are there, especially on very conservative Toyota maps.

I can also vouch for rpm increases being of little performance value in an otherwise standard engine, with the SC400 the engine could Rev to 7000 all day long (and sound fantastic doing it!) but on the track it was actually marginally slower because the stock cams were all out of puff by 6000 or so...

I personally will hold my judgement on these IS F ECUs until better back-to-back testing can be done, I do not think it is in the interests of any company to deliberately sell expensive products that don't work, especially when they have gone to the lengths of development that Novell appear to have. Word will quickly spread as it has here when products don't work, sure you might get a few unwise buyers but ultimately you won't make money in a reasonably savvy, small market like this.

Let's just see what happens.....
This is 100% consistent with my experience. I could not agree more - raising the redline alone will not bring any advantage to you. The engine needs different cams and possibly some very careful port work to breath effectively at higher rpm. Remember the RC F has completely different heads and cams to make peak power higher in the rpm range than the IS F.

Having spent a lot of time looking down ports on Japanese engines, especially Yamaha four and five valve per cylinder designs, I'd bet it would be possible to move the powerband up a few hundred rpm even with the existing heads, but it won't be easy or cheap if you are paying someone to do it. FWIW, I normally charge $3k for a 2JZ-GTE head and $3.5k for a 2JZ-GE head (and one of my GE heads runs on an 8 second car), so having someone talented rework these heads will be serious money.

If I had one of these ECMs, the first thing I would try is RC F cams. It might make enough of a difference to choose not to do the full on port work necessary to really gain high rpm torque.
Old 10-08-15, 03:15 PM
USB_F
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IredSF
I think I just might.

And who knows, if it's flatter than this , I might have better results.
Of course it's flatter than that. lol

Sent you a PM and text.
Old 10-08-15, 07:44 PM
v8sedan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it me or maybe just the fact that it's shifting at 400 rpm higher is gonna get the car at higher rpm in the next gear and be more in the powerband each gear afterwards. Maybe the improvement is just there and that's why he feel the car is faster, and it should be even if he has no (peak) power improvement.
Old 10-08-15, 07:56 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by v8sedan
Is it me or maybe just the fact that it's shifting at 400 rpm higher is gonna get the car at higher rpm in the next gear and be more in the powerband each gear afterwards. Maybe the improvement is just there and that's why he feel the car is faster, and it should be even if he has no (peak) power improvement.
Could be but what you point out would actually be the definition of more power because...

F=ma
W=FD

P=W/T

P=FD/T

V=D/T

So...

P is really equal to FV

Same force delivered at a higher speed= more power
Old 10-09-15, 05:45 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IredSF
Could be but what you point out would actually be the definition of more power because...

F=ma
W=FD

P=W/T

P=FD/T

V=D/T

So...

P is really equal to FV

Same force delivered at a higher speed= more power
Got a response from novel that the ECU was tested on dynopac vs dyno jet, +30Whp gain (that's from novel not me).

Still that would be more than a 10% variance in WHP, I've heard of as high as 3% differential between the two , so I don't think dyno differences are the culprit.

I found out that DC is using the velocity formula for hp calc and accelerometer data for torque. You can get HUGE Torque spikes in the data (I just junk those results when i see them ) but the hp, because it is based off of gps vehicle velocity data is MUCH more stable. Because it delivers instantaneous hp it must be using delta-V for calcs because you can get derived vehicle performance (hp) at any time, not just at the end of a 1/4 mile run like you would if you were using the trap speed vehicle weight formula to calc horsepower.

Last edited by IredSF; 10-09-15 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 07:20 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Track day! Track day! Track day!
Old 10-09-15, 08:04 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

What is the app you are using? Is it free? I'm curious now what the app would report on my car.......
Old 10-09-15, 08:13 AM
KLexus50
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
What is the app you are using? Is it free? I'm curious now what the app would report on my car.......
The title in his screen shots say DashCommand. A quick search on the app store confirms this.
Old 10-09-15, 08:51 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Thx appreciate it
Old 10-09-15, 09:02 AM
v8sedan
Driver

And about the over revv (redline being higher) does anybody think it could be risky on a dd? I did that on my previous bimmer no problem but the engine could be found at 800$, I would imagine a titanium valve dropping in the motor to cost a little more than that, like a left arm or something
Old 10-09-15, 09:43 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sedan
And about the over revv (redline being higher) does anybody think it could be risky on a dd? I did that on my previous bimmer no problem but the engine could be found at 800$, I would imagine a titanium valve dropping in the motor to cost a little more than that, like a left arm or something
P/N for the short block assembly and longblock do exist. $10K and $20K respectively.
Old 10-09-15, 10:12 AM
v8sedan
Driver

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
P/N for the short block assembly and longblock do exist. $10K and $20K respectively.
Lol, ain't gonna see them at 800 for some time :-)
Old 10-09-15, 12:00 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
You need an OBDII adapter hardware piece too. Not just phone and app

Mine is wi-fi (iPhone) works great
From Amazon

If you are looking for one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PFF...gol+obdii+wifi

Quick Reply: Help!!! ISF is redlining @7200rpm!?!?