IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help!!! ISF is redlining @7200rpm!?!?

Old 10-03-15, 11:47 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in as well, group buy!

but it's probably impossible to know the long term effects of the higher REV...i mean this is now reving higher than the RCF which lexus tuned further....will there be gradual long term damage to the engine internals...? head gaskets etc. Lexus obviously know what they are doing to design things to run reliable....just wondering on the side
Old 10-03-15, 11:50 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So you have a JDM ECM in your US car. Have you tested all functionality to be sure it works?

We have all wondered if this would work, but the real question is does it do all the same things the US model does? The other hard question is, what does it tell Techstream when you connect to it?

I am all for the mods, and these are the ones I would request if I were able to ask for changes to the standard code, but it would be very important to understand what limitations there are with a JDM ECM in a US model vehicle.

Also, it might be necessary for those of us in smog control areas to swap the US ECM back into the car for smog testing. If it fails to report the car's VIN to the test software, you would fail your smog immediately regardless of the state.
Umm NO, I DONT HAVE A JDM ECU, it's USDM! Did you not read?

Yes you can swap back and forth no problem between stock and Novel ECU. It's plug and play one box is tied to your VIN (the stick one). The other is NOT.

You could try to tech stream your. VIN into the moded ECU but I'd be afraid of corrupting the tune somehow. PLUS, if you DID DO THAT, it could not be resold because it would now be locked to your VIN Exclusively.

You wanna pass emissions testing? run the stock ECU
You wants go REALLY FAST? Run the one from Novel.

Swap back and forth at your leisure? Sure it's trivial , remove left side engine cover , remove 3 bolts on ECU housing , use screwdriver to slip off the large multiple plug housing, unplug the SIX ECU connectors , remove two nuts securing ECU , remove two screws from each side of ECU that secure mounting straps. Get NEW ECU and reverse process 1 hr if your really slow the first time, after you know what you are doing it's a 15 min job , if that.
Old 10-03-15, 11:53 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I haven't already said it, in for a GB, also emailed novel already. He's going to have a full inbox when they start waking up over there!
Old 10-03-15, 11:57 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

For me to be interested in a group buy I would need the following things to be clarified

1. I have the same concerns that lobuxracer has because it is obvious the part numbers are different (89661-53F10 USDM vs 89661-53F30 NOVEL) Are all functions the same? I know the 2JZ usdm and jdm ecus differ, why wouldn't the ISF's?

2. I definitely want to see numbers from a real dyno. Preferably comparing both ecus in the same car on the same dyno on the same day.

if those concerns can be answered and the gains are close to the same gains we see from headers I am definitely in for a group buy.
Old 10-03-15, 12:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by IredSF
Umm NO, I DONT HAVE A JDM ECU, it's USDM! Did you not read?

Yes you can swap back and forth no problem between stock and Novel ECU. It's plug and play one box is tied to your VIN (the stick one). The other is NOT.

You could try to tech stream your. VIN into the moded ECU but I'd be afraid of corrupting the tune somehow. PLUS, if you DID DO THAT, it could not be resold because it would now be locked to your VIN Exclusively.

You wants go REALLY FAST? Run the one from Novel.

Swap back and forth at your leisure? Sure it's trivial , remove left side engine cover , remove 3 bolts on ECU housing , use screwdriver to slip off the large multiple plug housing, unplug the SIX ECU connectors , remove two nuts securing ECU , remove two screws from each side of ECU that secure mounting straps. Get NEW ECU and reverse process 1 hr if your really slow the first time, after you know what you are doing it's a 15 min job , if that.
I did read. I read the part number from your ECM and looked it up. It's a JDM part. I'm glad you're excited, but it won't pass smog and it won't get serviced at any Lexus dealer as soon as they plug in and see the JDM ECM in it.

You're wasting your time telling me how "easy" it is to swap ECMs. When you do the valve lash inspection yourself, then we can talk about how easy or hard something is.

Keep in mind, you'll need to do this a couple of days before testing to complete the drive cycle and be test ready. And you'll have to do this every time you go to Lexus for service. Sounds like a lot of hassle. It would be way better to have the US ECM reflashed for most.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-03-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 12:25 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Isn't it possible to take the JDM ECU and wipe it to create the appropriate maps for a USDM? I'd bet it's easier to source the JDM part and change it vs having a us spec ecu shipped. I would relate it to wiping a hard drive clean and reinstalling the operating system. Keep in mind I know nothing about this, just thinking out loud.
Old 10-03-15, 12:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Isn't it possible to take the JDM ECU and wipe it to create the appropriate maps for a USDM? I'd bet it's easier to source the JDM part and change it vs having a us spec ecu shipped. I would relate it to wiping a hard drive clean and reinstalling the operating system. Keep in mind I know nothing about this, just thinking out loud.
Not even the smallest chance. I have a small view into their architecture and the base code that runs the engine cannot be altered. They load it, then burn fusible links to ensure it can never be altered. The maps available to be altered meet the absolute minimum requirements set by NHTSA and EPA. Not one byte more.
Old 10-03-15, 12:35 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I did read. I read the part number from your ECM and looked it up. It's a JDM part. I'm glad you're excited, but it won't pass smog and it won't get serviced at any Lexus dealer as soon as they plug in and see the JDM ECM in it.

You're wasting your time telling me how "easy" it is to swap ECMs. When you do the valve lash inspection yourself, then we can talk about how easy or hard something is.

Keep in mind, you'll need to do this a couple of days before testing to complete the drive cycle and be test ready. And you'll have to do this every time you go to Lexus for service. Sounds like a lot of hassle. It would be way better to have the US ECM reflashed for most.
Dude part# ain't the ECU image in storage , and second I ain't selling , don't work for novel , get no kick backs . Just showing what I have done . What you want to do is up to you and may you get answers to all questions you need to make an informed secure decision. I would contact directly , they WERE EXTREMELY generous and patient. Answered every question I had.

Drop them a line , worst outcome you find its not workable for you. ( and there is of course BEST case)

I did this because I was interested in there being other tuning options available that were vetted, and frankly it was headers or this , so took a risk on something new and was happily surprised at how well things turned out . That's MY story and I was just trying to share it with all of you.
Old 10-03-15, 12:36 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

I'm glad you're excited, but it won't pass smog
OP, have you tried smogging the car with the new ecu just to see if it would pass or not?
Old 10-03-15, 12:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If there is no VIN in the ECM, it will not pass smog with any available OBDII tester. The first check is "does the VIN in the ECM match the registration."
Old 10-03-15, 12:38 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Not even the smallest chance. I have a small view into their architecture and the base code that runs the engine cannot be altered. The maps available to be altered meet the absolute minimum requirements set by NHTSA and EPA. Not one byte more.
Ahh. Well, I'll tell you what, since we are neighbors-ish, if I end up with one we can meet up and you can plug techstream and get a full diagnostic on it. I'm sure that everyone values your opinion and knowledge, I know I do, and would be appreciative of your analysis.
Old 10-03-15, 12:39 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

If there is no VIN in the ECM, it will not pass smog with any available OBDII tester. The first check is "does the VIN in the ECM match the registration."
Ok, gotcha. That part slipped my mind. Lol.
Old 10-03-15, 12:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Dude part# ain't the ECU image in storage , and second I ain't selling , don't work for novel , get no kick backs . Just showing what I have done . What you want to do is up to you and may you get answers to all questions you need to make an informed secure decision. I would contact directly , they WERE EXTREMELY generous and patient. Answered every question I had.

Drop them a line , worst outcome you find its not workable for you. ( and there is of course BEST case)

I did this because I was interested in there being other tuning options available that were vetted, and frankly it was headers or this , so took a risk on something new and was happily surprised at how well things turned out . That's MY story and I was just trying to share it with all of you.
Sure. I know nothing about these things. What you are saying is, you did it, and it runs today and works today.

We've known about SARD, Novel, and iCode ECM mods for years. There is a reason no one has been successful delivering them to the US market. It would be very interesting for those who have tried this in the past to chime in and tell us why they didn't pursue selling one of these here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...crackable.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...breakdown.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ger-build.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...torsports.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...er-needed.html

And so many others. I am now wondering very loudly why Nigel has not discussed the SARD CUVU yet. It fits in this thread.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-03-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 01:08 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Kody,

We are a vendor of Novel, we met with the international sales rep and had a nice conversation. I'll send him an email and hopefully he would be interested in doing the group buy. You guys are going to have to expect to wait a while though! Production + Shipping. I'll send an email to Novel right now!

(Just to get an idea of how many people are REALLY considering this option, please PM us)

-Josh (jlee@modinjapan.com)
U BETTER , IF NOT I'LL HAVE IT MY MAIL IN 2 WEEKS LOLZ
Old 10-03-15, 01:28 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us all know, Josh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! ISF is redlining @7200rpm!?!?