IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust Idea Need Opinion

Old 09-29-15, 11:28 PM
Travis8523
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Idea Need Opinion

First post on here and couldn't find my answer in previous threads. Other than a Takeda intake installed by the previous owner, my 08 IS-F is completely stock. I've been researching which exhaust system to get, and while the catback systems I've found (borla, HKS, ISS) look great, I am seeking something with no cats or resonators For a more aggressive sound. I am trying to stay away from any welding in case I ever go back to stock. I have read great things about Borla, and from what I have seen they only have two options: catback (has cats and resonator) and they also have an axle back available. In my research I found ONE and only one mid-pipe/cat delete for the car and it is on eBay. See the link below: http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261875578761
I am considering using this in conjunction with the Borla axle back exhaust (link below)
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/301747095623

Does this seem like it will turn out well? Should I just get the catback instead?
Input is greatly appreciated! Also, does borla exhaust use the stock tips? If not, how do the tips look?
Please give any suggestions of better ideas if you have them! ...I'm trying to keep part cost under $1500 but we all know how that goes haha. Thanks!!
Old 09-30-15, 12:12 AM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the price and quality I'd recommend the joe z pts exhaust. Can't go wrong. I got that on mine and I love the sound. If you have deep pockets get the ppe exhaust with dual mode. My buddy has that on his F. Sounds great as well and you have the option to switch on how loud you want it.
Old 09-30-15, 04:48 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The borla cat back doesn't come with any cats. Actually, to my knowledge, no cat back exhaust available for the ISF comes with cats. They all delete the secondary cats. The borla also uses the stock tips.
Old 09-30-15, 08:01 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

ISS Forged QES FTW
Old 09-30-15, 11:54 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Travis,
Welcome to the board.
Our cars come equipped (stock) with 4 cats. 2 of the cats are built into the exhaust manifolds (actually, they're "shorty headers"), then there are 2 more cats downstream in the actual exhaust system. If you want to eliminate the cats altogether (which causes a gassy smell, from what I've read), you need to purchase both headers and a cat-back exhaust.
Dennis
Old 09-30-15, 02:18 PM
PololoISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tas02
Hi Travis,
Welcome to the board.
Our cars come equipped (stock) with 4 cats. 2 of the cats are built into the exhaust manifolds (actually, they're "shorty headers"), then there are 2 more cats downstream in the actual exhaust system. If you want to eliminate the cats altogether (which causes a gassy smell, from what I've read), you need to purchase both headers and a cat-back exhaust.
Dennis
I have the Borla exhaust with the ppe headers and sounds awesome!! No drone at all. However, I have been thinking on adding hi flow cats after the headers... Where would you place the hi flow cats? Would you need 2 or 1 will suffice (in place of the midpipe)?

To the OP, Borla with stock headers is an awesome way to go by the way.
Old 09-30-15, 02:47 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Ask the person welding the cats into your borla where they think they should go.
As for me, I'm going with the PPE headers & PPE exhaust with their option of having the high-flow cats already welded in.

To the OP, the borla is def. the best bang for the buck for around $1500. RR-Racing sells a cat back borla with a muffler delete option, check out their sound clips.

Dennis

Last edited by tas02; 09-30-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 05:08 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by tas02
Ask the person welding the cats into your borla where they think they should go.
As for me, I'm going with the PPE headers & PPE exhaust with their option of having the high-flow cats already welded in.

To the OP, the borla is def. the best bang for the buck for around $1500. RR-Racing sells a cat back borla with a muffler delete option, check out their sound clips.

Dennis
$1500 for a borla is way too much. Most places sell them for around $1000 give or take.
Old 09-30-15, 05:20 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by PololoISF
I have the Borla exhaust with the ppe headers and sounds awesome!! No drone at all. However, I have been thinking on adding hi flow cats after the headers... Where would you place the hi flow cats? Would you need 2 or 1 will suffice (in place of the midpipe)?

To the OP, Borla with stock headers is an awesome way to go by the way.
High flow cats are usually welded right after the headers on the exhaust. You'll need two. There are some pictures in the forum showing their position.
Old 09-30-15, 06:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Joe Z is pretty solid. I still think its the best bang for your buck in the group and sounds pretty damn mean.

btw the Borla runs closer to 1300 . It depends on where and what time of the year you will be buying it
Old 10-01-15, 04:17 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

For what the OP is looking for (very aggressive sound + easy to go back to stock), the Borla set-up from RR Racing does seem like most bang for the buck.

Their quad tip bazooka upgrade can now be purchased with the rest of a Borla system (excluding mufflers) for only $1250.00.

-Mike

Old 10-01-15, 07:17 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikersoft
For what the OP is looking for (very aggressive sound + easy to go back to stock), the Borla set-up from RR Racing does seem like most bang for the buck.

Their quad tip bazooka upgrade can now be purchased with the rest of a Borla system (excluding mufflers) for only $1250.00.

-Mike
I can vouch that this sounds pretty nasty (in a good way)

I bought the bazooka tips and had them welded up to fit a Joe Z midpipe. Basically did the same thing they did for Borla for a Joe Z, so I could swap the mufflers on or off if I wanted
Old 10-01-15, 12:44 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,361 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
$1500 for a borla is way too much. Most places sell them for around $1000 give or take.

Hi, I don't think you understand what we are selling, and there seems to be some confusion out there, so I will try to clarify (thank you Mike for your efforts!).

We use Borla's X-pipe and dual exhaust setup from the headers back to the differential. We make our own back end. Price is $1250 for a Bazooka System, which is a quad tip system (twin double wall 3.5" tips on both sides) that does not have back end mufflers, and $1450 is a Quad Tip system that uses two Magnaflow wide open mufflers and quad 3.5" double wall slash cut tips.

Regarding Borla... it is as good a quality as any system out there. We sell regular Borla Systems (with out our Quad Tip back ends) for $1231. We are not allowed to sell under that price, and no one else is allowed to sell under that price. If someone is offering you an Borla for $1000, they are not a legitimate dealer, and I am willing to bet they don't have them in stock for the ISF. They are listing as many part numbers they can and trolling the internet hoping someone buys it... then they contact there distributor and hope its in stock:-)

RR Racing Quad Tip Muffled System $1450 complete

RR Racing Quad Tip Bazooka (unmuffled) system $1250 complete
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 10-02-15 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 01:31 PM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the Borla catback from Jeggs almost exactly a year ago for $977.

I really like the RR Racing muffler deletes, but $550 is sort of killing it for me. That's more than 1/2 of what I paid for the complete exhaust.
Old 10-01-15, 01:45 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Hi, I don't think you understand what we are selling, and there seems to be some confusion out there, so I will try to clarify (thank you Mike for your efforts!).

We use Borla's X-pipe and dual exhaust setup from the headers back to the differential. We make our own back end. Price is $1250 for a Bazooka System, which is a quad tip system (twin double wall 3.5" tips on both sides) that does not have back end mufflers, and $1500 is a Quad Tip system that uses two Magnaflow wide open mufflers and quad 3.5" double wall slash cut tips.

Regarding Borla... it is as good a quality as any system out there. We sell regular Borla Systems (with out our Quad Tip back ends) for $1231. We are not allowed to sell under that price, and no one else is allowed to sell under that price. If someone is offering you an Borla for $1000, they are not a legitimate dealer, and I am willing to bet they don't have them in stock for the ISF. They are listing as many part numbers they can and trolling the internet hoping someone buys it... then they contact there distributor and hope its in stock:-)

RR Racing Quad Tip Muffled System $1500 complete

RR Racing Quad Tip Bazooka (unmuffled) system $1250 complete
I completely understand what you're selling and all your products. I was just referring to a regular borla exhaust and it's current price. I just didn't realize how much prices have gone up since I got mine three years ago and I apologize for that. Still, even with current prices, $1500 for a regular borla is a bit much. Three years ago you could get the borla for less than $1000 shipped from an authorized dealer.

Originally Posted by Kojak77
I picked up the Borla catback from Jeggs almost exactly a year ago for $977.

I really like the RR Racing muffler deletes, but $550 is sort of killing it for me. That's more than 1/2 of what I paid for the complete exhaust.
I got it for almost the same price three years ago but from summit.

Last edited by jat0223; 10-01-15 at 02:02 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Idea Need Opinion