IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 06:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??

Hey guys. I have been looking for wheels for weeks. I have been looking at sizes, offsets, finishes, fitment charts, etc and finally decided to order a set of Forgestar wheels in my 19.9.5 and 19x11 . Literally right before I picked up my cell phone to call the wheel dealer I decided to google Forgestar and DAMN !!!! There were pages of posts from 2009-2014 filled with people claiming they have had vibration from out of round wheels, cracks, bends, wheels that dont match in color, poor production standards.

These wheels are wildly popular because they are made or order for the car, look decent, and are inexpensive . I have seen them everything from Porsche, to C63 AMGs, Vettes, etc. Just got a little scared off when I saw the posts and since I have ALWAYS had vibration issues with aftermarket wheels.

Was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the brand? I know ISFPat had them and we have a few more who have them as well.

Since I saw the posts I have started looking at HRE and BBS wheels. I was thinking of going with the Weds SA55M but they top out at 19x9 and 19x10 with offsets that are so aggressive that you couldnt get more than a 275/30/19 on the rear. Considering you can put those on the stock wheels it makes that wheel less appealing
Old 09-28-15, 07:01 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't have any experience with Forgestar, but 1) I don't know what you consider "inexpensive", but you get what you pay for, and 2) People are much more vocal with bad experiences than with good.
Of the wheels you list, I would probably go with BBS.
-R
Old 09-28-15, 07:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

This is the first set of 19's I have ever purchased so less than 2k for a set of wheels is mind blowing. Going to push the budget up a bit to ensure I get quality wheels. I need something light, strong, and wide as hell. I am looking for something very specific and if I cant find Im sticking with bone stock and just running through tires every 7-8k miles. Lexus has cursed us with this wheel and tire package and frankly the wider tires on oem wheels looks goofy to me and they dont handle well either. Wider tires look great but if they are not on a wheel wide enough to tighten up that sidewall the car feel sloppy and less precise.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 09-28-15 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 01:41 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its nice they can make custom sizes and decent looking wheels but the extent of positives really ends there..

I've had to deal with delayed delivery of the wheels for months, their hub rings didn't even fit the wheel right, their center caps barely fit the wheel, orange peel wheel finish (they outsource their powdercoating).. they didn't even know if the wheel size I picked out would clear the brakes lol.

Anyways beyond all that I didn't have any issues with bends or structural issues. I ran somewhat stretched tires and never bent or cracked the wheel.. my friend's Porsche Cayman with really stretched F14's never had issues either.

For the price, the issues noted wern't that big of a deal.. TBH, just a minor annoyance.

I run a similar style wheel by Vorsteiner now (purely by coincidence)

Last edited by ISFpat; 09-29-15 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 07:32 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also got concerned after ordering because I did not know about all the negative stories until after my order was placed. My order was also delayed about 3-4 weeks. My hubrings fit perfect as do my center caps. The powder coating has a little bit of orange peel but nothing noticeable unless you are inches from the wheel itself. My wheels are true and I experience no vibrations even a high speeds. I did stick with the recommended 10" rears as I was told there was uncertainly with the 11" rears and offsets as was ISFpat.

For the money these wheels are a good choice. Even if you get a high dollar quality wheel they're still susceptible to bending and cracking. You can find proof with a simple search. I ran my set for the summer and ready for something new.
Old 09-29-15, 11:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Its nice they can make custom sizes and decent looking wheels but the extent of positives really ends there..

I've had to deal with delayed delivery of the wheels for months, their hub rings didn't even fit the wheel right, their center caps barely fit the wheel, orange peel wheel finish (they outsource their powdercoating).. they didn't even know if the wheel size I picked out would clear the brakes lol.

Anyways beyond all that I didn't have any issues with bends or structural issues. I ran somewhat stretched tires and never bent or cracked the wheel.. my friend's Porsche Cayman with really stretched F14's never had issues either.

For the price, the issues noted wern't that big of a deal.. TBH, just a minor annoyance.

I run a similar style wheel by Vorsteiner now (purely by coincidence)

Originally Posted by kauaian
I also got concerned after ordering because I did not know about all the negative stories until after my order was placed. My order was also delayed about 3-4 weeks. My hubrings fit perfect as do my center caps. The powder coating has a little bit of orange peel but nothing noticeable unless you are inches from the wheel itself. My wheels are true and I experience no vibrations even a high speeds. I did stick with the recommended 10" rears as I was told there was uncertainly with the 11" rears and offsets as was ISFpat.

For the money these wheels are a good choice. Even if you get a high dollar quality wheel they're still susceptible to bending and cracking. You can find proof with a simple search. I ran my set for the summer and ready for something new.

Thanks so much for the response guys. And Pat it's cool to see you are still around. Many happy miles that that beast of yours. Saleman at wheel place says that they are good wheels too and they dont have any regular issues. He also said that if they were that bad nobody would sell them because of all of the problems. I do realize that pissed customers are way more vocal ( I know that first hand lol), but I have had sets of wheels that just vibrated and drove me nuts. I still think most of that was bad tires but I dont have the time or patience to solve problems with my cars. HRE makes this wheel ( FF15). What do you guys think?? Was thinking of going with black wheels. Seems like I would be one of maybe 2 people with black wheels on the ISF. After weeks of scouring the internet I found 1 red F with black wheels.

http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/bmw...th-ff15-in-ipa
Old 09-29-15, 12:14 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ran a set of F05 (no longer offered by Forgestar) on my previous car and I did not have any structural or bending issues. I repolished out the aluminum and powdercoated spokes to remove any scratches I saw. The orange peel was definitely noticeable. I think for the money, it was really good value.
Old 09-29-15, 12:23 PM
Pie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend and brother had a set of F14s. Their wheels have been tracked and had no issues. These aren't cheap garbage wheels like varrstoens. The custom offsets are a really nice touch, but you will typically have a build wait time.

I went with Enkei PF01s (18"). I didn't want the same wheels as my friend and brother. They're also ~2lbs lighter and slightly cheaper, just no custom offsets.
Old 09-29-15, 12:51 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a set and I haven't had any issues with them other than it took a while for them to come in. I'm very happy with them. The hubcentric rings are a really tight fit but once you get them seated they are fine. The roads around me are probably some of the worst in the country and I haven't bent or cracked anything yet.

I think with any product if you do enough digging, you will find someone that doesn't like them for some reason or another.
Old 09-29-15, 12:56 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What *is* your budget? Forgestars are "rotary-forged" or flow-formed, which is a type of casting process ultimately. There are plenty of forged 19" wheels, but you're going to pay a LOT of money for them, something like $1K/corner.
Old 09-29-15, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up. The wheel guy says they sell like 100 sets a month of Forgestars. He was also sayingif I had the entire package done with them they will be able to eval everything and make sure they balance up the right way. The HREs are almost double the price!! LOL

HAHA it was easier for me to pick a wife than this set of wheels
Old 09-29-15, 02:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

need opinions on these also guys. Im torn betwee the 2. The HRE are $3000 and the Forgestars are $1700
Attached Thumbnails Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??-142257301872bbfffc96d841113ef05792c932973c.jpg   Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??-367605d1438901023-fs-forgestar-19-cf5v-is-f-fitment-socal-20130627_163537.jpg  
Old 09-29-15, 04:59 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
need opinions on these also guys. Im torn betwee the 2. The HRE are $3000 and the Forgestars are $1700
The IS-F has the Forgestar wheels, right? Those look much better IMO. I'm not a fan of so many spokes like the Bimmer wheels have.

-Mike
Old 09-29-15, 07:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Yes the Black F has the Forgestars in the same offset, size, and finish, but its dropped. What I like about the HRE and the Forgestars is that I can easily run my 255/295 set up for the track and street and will have stock diameters so the car will not look funny if not dropped

I feel like the black HREs are growing on me.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??-turner_project_f80_m3_hre_ff15_wheels_tarmac_01_1000.jpg  
Old 09-29-15, 08:07 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why you don't try to look at Volk Racing ZE40. It's a lightweight and also very deep concave wheels if you choose face 4.
If i were you i wound buy the set of that black F that the owner offers only 1k $$$t for experiencing it. If you don"t like it just reselling.

Quick Reply: Anyone out there have experience with Forgestar wheels ??