2008 ISF Front Driver Side Wheel Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 05:39 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2008 ISF Front Driver Side Wheel Bearing Issue

Whats up guys!
So I needed to replace my front left wheel bearing. It was making noise when I would turn to the right and the weight of the car would shift to that wheel bearing. I called my local Lexus Dealership and they wanted $550 for the wheel bearing. One of my buddies and a member on here who works for toyota did some research for me and offered some other options other than OEM. I tried Dura International for $60. THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE OF BUYING CHEAP AND GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR. Their website said that this wheel hub bearing will fit the 08 ISF. I went to install it and it is shorter than the OEM hub assembly that I took off of my car. So now I have to put the bad one back on and wait for a correct one to ship in.

My question. Where can I order a part from without paying Lexus OEM prices but know that I'm getting a part that fits my 08 ISF when the website says it will fit? I'll post a picture later.
Old 09-24-15, 05:47 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Name:  image000000_zpsaortbymj.jpg
Views: 2617
Size:  105.2 KB
Old 09-24-15, 06:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The one you bought was likely for an IS250/350. The front hubs on the IS F are unique to the F, and will not be inexpensive. Online Lexus retailers are showing about $380 for one.

Timken and Moog also offer replacement parts for less, but they're still not exactly cheap:

TIMKEN HA590428 from Rockauto is $230.79

MOOG 513284 from Rockauto is $164.79

SKF makes a special hub for called the X-Tracker Cadillac that's pretty cool and designed specifically for track use. They don't appear to offer this for the IS F though.

I would highly recommend buying two unless you know this hub was involved in a severe curb incident. You live in a highly corrosive environment.
Old 09-24-15, 06:12 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The one you bought was likely for an IS250/350. The front hubs on the IS F are unique to the F, and will not be inexpensive. Online Lexus retailers are showing about $380 for one.

Timken and Moog also offer replacement parts for less, but they're still not exactly cheap:

TIMKEN HA590428 from Rockauto is $230.79

MOOG 513284 from Rockauto is $164.79

SKF makes a special hub for called the X-Tracker Cadillac that's pretty cool and designed specifically for track use. They don't appear to offer this for the IS F though.

I would highly recommend buying two unless you know this hub was involved in a severe curb incident. You live in a highly corrosive environment.

Thanks for the post lobuxracer! Sounds like you know your stuff. Not the best news though haha. Was hoping to get away with a cheaper wheel bearing hub assembly. It is very frustrating that many websites say they will fit the ISF when they really don't. I actually had this same problem with my 2007 Acura TL Type-S 6 Speed. The Type-S is not as rare and nice as the ISF but the fact that I had a rare 6 speed manual it made buying parts a pain. Most parts would fit a Type-S but not the 6 speed. Sounds like I just hit the same problem with my ISF.

What sucks is I told my younger brother he could take my ISF to prom tomorrow and I wanted to have it safe for him. I'm not sure if I want him driving it with a bad wheel bearing.
Old 09-24-15, 07:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Just did some more poking around. The Timken part may be the same as the OEM part just like the Dayco serpentine belt tensioner.
Old 09-24-15, 07:15 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Thanks for the post lobuxracer! Sounds like you know your stuff. Not the best news though haha. Was hoping to get away with a cheaper wheel bearing hub assembly. It is very frustrating that many websites say they will fit the ISF when they really don't. I actually had this same problem with my 2007 Acura TL Type-S 6 Speed. The Type-S is not as rare and nice as the ISF but the fact that I had a rare 6 speed manual it made buying parts a pain. Most parts would fit a Type-S but not the 6 speed. Sounds like I just hit the same problem with my ISF.

What sucks is I told my younger brother he could take my ISF to prom tomorrow and I wanted to have it safe for him. I'm not sure if I want him driving it with a bad wheel bearing.
https://www.tlsautorecycling.com/sea...lexus/is-f/538
Check this one out used but they will go deal with you on lower price.dont k ow how safe it is maybe lobux can chime in.
Old 09-24-15, 09:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you are going to the work of replacing the hub, it's a no-brainer to buy new.
Old 09-26-15, 03:18 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Yeah I'll buy new, sounds like I'll go that route. I'm just still bummed about having to do it again.
Old 09-27-15, 11:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

The Rears are manufactured by Koyo..

Did you get any clear pics of the stampings on the OEM front unit ??

Here is a Brand New OEM Rear with visible markings on the hub.

Joe Z
Old 09-27-15, 12:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Awesome. Here's the OEM part for a lot less -
Amazon.com: Koyo Cooling Systems 3DACF044D-9GR Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Koyo Cooling Systems 3DACF044D-9GR Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive
Old 09-27-15, 03:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just need to figure out the Fronts now for the OP

Joe Z
Old 09-27-15, 05:39 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Joe z and lobuxracer, I know you guys are some top guys on the forum and I'm not saying your wrong, because clearly I'm the one who ordered the wrong part. But I looked at that rear bearing you said will fit and it says it won't fit on their website.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-09-27-20-24-41_zpsr4dfxm9l.png
Views: 1971
Size:  231.0 KB
Old 09-27-15, 08:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sure, but it has the same Lexus part number as the other cars it says it fits. If you look at Timken's site, it also say the Timken doe not fit '08 - '11 cars, but there has been no part number change to the rear hubs from '08 to '14, so it would seem their cross reference source is poor.
Old 09-27-15, 08:54 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

So even if a website says it doesn't fit, but it is the correct part number, I'll still be good to go?
Old 09-27-15, 09:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by leisinjp
So even if a website says it doesn't fit, but it is the correct part number, I'll still be good to go?
I'd bet on it for sure. This bearing (for the rear, not the front) is very common for Lexus vehicles. When I did the part number search to see everything it fit, it was amazing how long the list is. What is far more surprising is the IS F is the only Lexus model to use the front wheel bearing we have.

If you are willing to remove the wheel speed sensor from your old one, we'll be able to see the Koyo part number they used, and might be able to find alternate sources for this part. We might also (but it is unlikely) be able to find just the bearing and rebuild the hubs with new bearings. The OEMs like to use a standard bearing with some weird suffix identifying something unusual about the piece. I've bought a lot of bearings over the years and Toyota is well known for having semi-custom bearings in their stuff.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 ISF Front Driver Side Wheel Bearing Issue-rear-hub-fitment.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-27-15 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 ISF Front Driver Side Wheel Bearing Issue