IS F such a rare sight

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-15, 03:02 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stratman
Hey all,
Since trading my '12 Star Fire Pearl ISF in for my 13 AMG C63 I have seen zero ISFs. Actually, I have only seen 3 C63s since I purchased the C63 new in April of '14. The ISF is an outstanding machine and the last one I had was a much better performer than the '09 CPO I purchased before it. The only reason I did this swap is that I wanted the 6.2L engine as it was the last of the species. Mine has the Performance Pack and LSD (plus a bunch of other stuff) but if I had the room I would have kept the '12 ISF because it is that good and rare. By the way, I live in San Clemente, CA and have had zero problems in the 11K I've driven the C63 sedan.
Congrats! On the C63! Can you share some thoughts on your opinion of both cars? Perhaps something that hasn't been shared before? I know MB conducts maintenance 1 a year. What's cost looking like?
Old 09-27-15, 05:18 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey all,
Since trading my '12 Star Fire Pearl ISF in for my 13 AMG C63 I have seen zero ISFs. Actually, I have only seen 3 C63s since I purchased the C63 new in April of '14. The ISF is an outstanding machine and the last one I had was a much better performer than the '09 CPO I purchased before it. The only reason I did this swap is that I wanted the 6.2L engine as it was the last of the species. Mine has the Performance Pack and LSD (plus a bunch of other stuff) but if I had the room I would have kept the '12 ISF because it is that good and rare. By the way, I live in San Clemente, CA and have had zero problems in the 11K I've driven the C63 sedan.
+1, I had the chance to drive a 2011 C63 without the performance package and the 6.2L V8 put a big smile on my face. LOTS OF TORQUE!!!!

Enjoy the car.
Old 09-27-15, 07:42 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Chick on hwy 9 in Arlington, wa today around 1230, white car in stock form

Last edited by Justind27; 09-28-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 10:19 PM
ISF4TRACK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even here in Cali F's are pretty rare. I live in a city with a population of 200K+ and I've never seen another F around town besides mine. In the 5 years I've owned it I've see approx. 5 total here is So Cal.
Old 09-27-15, 11:28 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In Minnesota I seen lot of IS250 but have seen 2 black IS F. It's a beauty.
Old 09-28-15, 11:09 AM
stratman
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Congrats! On the C63! Can you share some thoughts on your opinion of both cars? Perhaps something that hasn't been shared before? I know MB conducts maintenance 1 a year. What's cost looking like?
Hi SoulFreak, performance wise the C63 is faster than the ISF and the engine redlines at 7200 rpm vs 6800 for the ISF. In the spirited driving that I occasionally do I find that the C63 handles as well as the '12 ISF that I owned. That is quite a feat as the pre-'12 C63 was known more as a straight line German hot rod and we all know the transformation that the '11 and up ISF went through with its suspension updates. Because of the torque, it's much easier to pull the rear end out but I was able to do this in the F too as it is no weenie when it comes to torque. Though the transmission is a 7 speed vs 8 in the F they both shift about as fast with the '12 C63 having a multi-clutch transmission instead of the old torque converter type. As far as build quality I would say both are very high including materials used inside and out. The C63 is heavier than the F but doesn't feel heavy on the street. Maintenance wise, the F requires oil/filter at 5k mile intervals, the AMG at 10k. The C63 uses about a quart of oil every 3500 miles or so whereas the F uses about one eighth of a quart between changes. Prices for the periodic services is a little bit more for the C than the F but not monstrously so. Oh, and the sound! The C63 just plain sounds bad azz at any rpm whereas the F is more subtle until you really get on it. Throttle response in the F has a bit of hesitation before it gets going (depending on the rpms) whereas the C63 is instant. I haven't covered everything so if you'd like more info let me know.
Old 09-28-15, 12:14 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

I hardly ever see them.. I was on the road for 12hrs this weekend going to and from LA.. saw one. =/ Lol at that cat/tiger pic.
Old 09-28-15, 12:17 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw a black one today with the plate "DOC"..the guy was probably late 40's early 50's.
Old 09-28-15, 12:49 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

SF Bay Area... I see atleast one a week. Just last week, I've seen 3, and two were driven by asian girls probably in their early 20's. I commute with my F 50 miles round trip M-F so I get a lot of seat time and see a lot of cars on the road. What more rare are the C63's... there's one that parks in my work parking garage every so often with NY plates, but besides that one, I've probably only seen about 4-5 this whole year.
Old 09-28-15, 05:32 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi SoulFreak, performance wise the C63 is faster than the ISF and the engine redlines at 7200 rpm vs 6800 for the ISF. In the spirited driving that I occasionally do I find that the C63 handles as well as the '12 ISF that I owned. That is quite a feat as the pre-'12 C63 was known more as a straight line German hot rod and we all know the transformation that the '11 and up ISF went through with its suspension updates. Because of the torque, it's much easier to pull the rear end out but I was able to do this in the F too as it is no weenie when it comes to torque. Though the transmission is a 7 speed vs 8 in the F they both shift about as fast with the '12 C63 having a multi-clutch transmission instead of the old torque converter type. As far as build quality I would say both are very high including materials used inside and out. The C63 is heavier than the F but doesn't feel heavy on the street. Maintenance wise, the F requires oil/filter at 5k mile intervals, the AMG at 10k. The C63 uses about a quart of oil every 3500 miles or so whereas the F uses about one eighth of a quart between changes. Prices for the periodic services is a little bit more for the C than the F but not monstrously so. Oh, and the sound! The C63 just plain sounds bad azz at any rpm whereas the F is more subtle until you really get on it. Throttle response in the F has a bit of hesitation before it gets going (depending on the rpms) whereas the C63 is instant. I haven't covered everything so if you'd like more info let me know.
Congrats on the C63, as much as i love the F and its uniqueness i mighta gone C63 also just for the noise
Old 09-28-15, 08:28 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Phoenix and I've only seen maybe 3 different ones in the 5 years I've owned my F. I see cars like GTR's, Teslas, Maseratis, Lambos, etc way more often than ISF's. Definitely a rare car, which is why it's holding its resale value so well. I think even if Lexus releases a new ISF the value will still hold because it's the first of its kind for the brand. Just like cars such as the S2000, Supra, RX-8, original GT-R, etc.
Old 09-29-15, 07:51 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

I have friends of mine and acquaintances who know I have the F. But they really don't know the difference btwn this and the regular is250 or 350. So a ton of times my buddies text me and say they saw and F. Nah your confused.

These cars are rare. They don't turn a bunch of heads at the shows because no one really knows what they are. The gear heads know though.
Old 09-29-15, 12:27 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a cdl driver and deliver specific areas and stalk the Fs . Every area I deliver had ISFs which is pretty neat seeing them everyday. The majority keep them garaged. In Anaheim , Corona even San Bernardino of all places would see two regular .
Old 09-29-15, 03:08 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm actually seeing more RCF's than I am seeing ISF's now. Spotted a total of 4 RCF's in the past 2 weeks.
Old 09-29-15, 06:03 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That's true. Aside from the old lady at the gym with a black F I actually have seen a fair amount of RCF's. We also get a ton of traffic coming through town from Canada to Seattle, and since they lease like crazy, you see newer flagship models rolling around daily.

Quick Reply: IS F such a rare sight