IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A pillar wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 06:33 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default A pillar wind noise

Anyone get any wind noise from the A pillar drivers side at highway speeds?

I'm getting what I feel is excessive wind noise almost like my window is cracked open. I'm sure this is something the dealer would be able to fix under warranty correct?
Old 09-15-15, 06:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had this very same thing with my car when I first bought it. Its most likely the seals around the windshield itself. . My issue was at the top above the drivers side and both of the seals against the a pillars needed to be replaced. Have you had the glass replaced? Did you just buy it ??

The seals can be purchased as generic from Safelite Autoglass. They have oem and generic. I saw no difference and they perform equally. The clips on the inside brake all the time and get loose. Should be an easy fix
Old 09-16-15, 09:17 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's pretty rampant on our cars....Nothing wrong with a little buffeting :-)
Old 09-16-15, 03:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

it was the first thing I noticed on my first test drive. A lot of dealers will replace the glass with after market glass and poilsh the cars before they go out on the lot. The techs are going 100mph and probably didnt get the seals just right or may have tried to reuse the side moldings. ( Thats what happened in my case. )
Old 09-16-15, 05:22 PM
Tapangb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this same problem with my IS 350 but not currently with the ISF. As long as the car is still under factory warranty or extended warranty, Lexus should replace the windshield moldings for free.
Old 09-16-15, 06:12 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had this very same thing with my car when I first bought it. Its most likely the seals around the windshield itself. . My issue was at the top above the drivers side and both of the seals against the a pillars needed to be replaced. Have you had the glass replaced? Did you just buy it ??

The seals can be purchased as generic from Safelite Autoglass. They have oem and generic. I saw no difference and they perform equally. The clips on the inside brake all the time and get loose. Should be an easy fix
I bought the car used so as far as I know the windshield has never been replaced.
Old 12-02-15, 01:49 PM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it was the first thing I noticed on my first test drive. A lot of dealers will replace the glass with after market glass and poilsh the cars before they go out on the lot. The techs are going 100mph and probably didnt get the seals just right or may have tried to reuse the side moldings. ( Thats what happened in my case. )
I found some oem ones on eBay for 140$ with the clips. How much are the Safelite ones? I'm replacing mine because the rubber at the bottom completely deteriorated.
Old 12-02-15, 05:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

honestly I would just have safelite do it. Pay them and they will replace in no time. I am not handy though. WHat I have noticed is even when they are installed with oem ones I still have them pop out on the right side. Its happened twice. I always notice it when I am on a track day. I literally call them between sessions and they arrive the next day and just do it in my garage in no time. Cool thing about safelite is they guarantee the part for life. So when it pops out again, and it will, they will replace for free.

Also if you have clear bra on the mirrors that could be a source too. I had to remove mine on both mirrors at different times. Annoying.
Old 12-03-15, 12:13 AM
Greatest
Driver

honestly I would just have safelite do it. Pay them and they will replace in no time. I am not handy though. WHat I have noticed is even when they are installed with oem ones I still have them pop out on the right side. Its happened twice. I always notice it when I am on a track day. I literally call them between sessions and they arrive the next day and just do it in my garage in no time. Cool thing about safelite is they guarantee the part for life. So when it pops out again, and it will, they will replace for free.

Also if you have clear bra on the mirrors that could be a source too. I had to remove mine on both mirrors at different times. Annoying.
Thanks. I actually don't have the wind noise. Just the deteriorating strips. I'll give Safelite a call.
Old 12-03-15, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Alright bud...this is a little crazy in terms of timing, but I was driving home with my car tonight and all of a sudden the damn a pillar starts whistling like a frink tea kettle. It drove me NUTS! I ended up going home and grabing some tape and taped up the gap in the moulding and still had noise. Taped up the gap between the mirror and the stalk of the mirror ....still had noise. Went home and rolled the window down and looked at how the glass slid into the frame of the door and all looked ok and both sides looked symmetrical. What I did next was to fold in the mirror and drive....still had noise. Finally I noticed that when I rolled the window down the noise would stop so I figured it had to be coming from the window and not the mirror. I went home and pushed the chrome moulding along the frame of the glass from the outside , took her for a ride, and BOOM !!! NO MORE NOISE !!!! Had her up to 120 mph and she was whistle free.

Just wanted to share this in for the next dude who has this issue.
Old 12-04-15, 12:43 AM
Greatest
Driver

Talking

Alright bud...this is a little crazy in terms of timing, but I was driving home with my car tonight and all of a sudden the damn a pillar starts whistling like a frink tea kettle. It drove me NUTS! I ended up going home and grabing some tape and taped up the gap in the moulding and still had noise. Taped up the gap between the mirror and the stalk of the mirror ....still had noise. Went home and rolled the window down and looked at how the glass slid into the frame of the door and all looked ok and both sides looked symmetrical. What I did next was to fold in the mirror and drive....still had noise. Finally I noticed that when I rolled the window down the noise would stop so I figured it had to be coming from the window and not the mirror. I went home and pushed the chrome moulding along the frame of the glass from the outside , took her for a ride, and BOOM !!! NO MORE NOISE !!!! Had her up to 120 mph and she was whistle free.

Just wanted to share this in for the next dude who has this issue.
That's my bad for bringing you into this old thread. Sorry dude I called safeco and they said they'd only replace the whole window. So do I further damage my karma, and you've been experienced some of it, and watch a crack happen and get it replaced "free" or change out the strips myself for about 130$.

Guess I'll change them.
Old 12-04-15, 09:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

try what I described buddy. t might work and save you the headache. Try to push on the chrome moulding around the frame from the outside.

Good luck, bro

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-04-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-04-15, 04:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE :::::

Noise still there. So damn annoying. Its whistling like a tea kettle only above 80 mph. I tried taping up every spot I could possibly think of then said F$%^ it !!!! I'm just going to have the tech do his job and fix the damn car. Time to throw some money at a problem.

Wind noise and vibration are the 2 killers of driving enjoyment for me. All I do is hone in on it and that's all I can hear or feel . I told the SA I dont give a damn what it costs . Just fix the car

I will keep you guys posted. I have a feeling this is when the 2IS forum will blow this one away in solving this issue. May have to check it out
Old 12-05-15, 12:48 AM
Greatest
Driver

Since I'm not having the wind or whistling issue I'm a little skeptic about changing my weather strips. Except the look really bad at the bottom. I ordered them off eBay with new clips for 130$. Dealer wanted 250$.
Old 12-05-15, 10:29 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I drove the F last night on and off the highway last night for almost 2 hours. I kept stopping to retape different areas. I tried everything I could think of and it kept whistling. My SA asked me to try it with the sunroof popped up and it stopped. I came home and tapped up the sun roof. I need to test drive it today.

Quick Reply: A pillar wind noise