IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A pillar wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

alright I think I got this figured out finally. I taped the seal around the sunroof and the noise is gone. I dorve the car for 45 minutes and took several highways going in all different directions. Looks like there is a tiny gap on the rear right side of the roof. Im just glad I got it figured out. Wonder if all the track days is causing some chassis flex or just a poor seat to the seal. The seal was replaced 1 yr ago
Old 12-05-15, 01:51 PM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or they didn't seal it well. Good luck hope it gets taken care of. I'm very much like you with a noise like that. Is let it drive me crazy. But those same tendencies make my 8 year old Isf look new!
Old 12-05-15, 04:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

lol took the tape off and still silent. annoying......
Old 12-07-15, 02:12 PM
etohprn247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have same wind noise problem from Apillar, also if all windows are up I can't just have the sunroof open, the resonance noise is very unbearable. Sucks this doesn't occur in the corolla but occurs in a 60k Lexus eeewww
Old 12-07-15, 06:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I'm having my windshield moulding replaced Wednesday . I have a big gap . It's been like that for a while so its strange that it just showed up . The gap in the moulding never caused any noise before when they would pop out but unknown if I take it to lexus they are going to say replace that moulding first . It's covered with safelite whereas the dealer would charge me hundreds for the moulding .

Is your noise intermittent or constant ?
Any gaps in the moulding ?
Old 12-09-15, 04:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE :: Moulding replaced and the God damn thing is still whistiling away. SO ANNOYING. I removed the clear bra, taped up any and everything I can think of and it persists. I have found several asymmetries between the right and left side and when I tape them off it persists. I tilt the mirror in and it continues. I made an appt for next week and told my SA " Keep the damn car until its fixed. I dont want any excuses or guesses.....just fix it ". He starts to say I cant have the tech drive it over 80 mph ( give me a break ) so I told him I will test drive it with the tech.

If they cant solve this I am dumping my F. I will never drive a car with a rattle, vibration , or wind noise. F that !! The clowns at the dealership just guess. They have very little skill when it comes to **** like this and its maddening . Life is too short to drive a car Im not happy with . The Z28 and the Mustang GT350 have had my eye for a while. This might be the reason to jump on it. Im just going to lease from now on. Im tired of weak *** extended warranties and Im tired of the Lexus dealers in my area.

rant over

what is absolutely pathetic on Lexus' part is that EVERY SINGLE one of my damn Lexus sedans have had this exact same problem and most of the time they will tell me to replace the mirror for $1400. ( GS350, LS460, and now my ISF). Its pathetic.
Old 12-11-15, 08:55 AM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I notice a fair amount of wind noise as well. Some seems to be the sunroof (as it changes if I open or close the shade) but I think some from the mirrors or a-pillars as well.

My old ls430 was silent so I know they are capable at least of doing that.
Old 12-12-15, 09:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I notice a fair amount of wind noise as well. Some seems to be the sunroof (as it changes if I open or close the shade) but I think some from the mirrors or a-pillars as well.

My old ls430 was silent so I know they are capable at least of doing that.
I feel the same way. I taped off the sunroof and it still going so I think it is coming form the mirror because I can hear it with the window cracked. Taking her in on Tuesday. I feel like I might need to start driving a bit farther for service. The current guys i am using I feel like its the blind leading the blind
Old 01-16-16, 11:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE :

Hey guys I wanted to let other members with this problem know what resolved the issue. I had the moulding replaced and the noise persisted. Then took it to the dealer thinking it was the mirror and they said it was the glass. I then called Safelite and they replaced the glass under warranty and BOOM !!! NO MORE NOISE !! The noise started right after we had this freakish drop in temps here in AZ. It was the seal/beading contracting.

Luckily I had the work done with Safelite and they offer a lifetime warranty on the work.
Old 01-16-16, 12:22 PM
zpletcher
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
UPDATE :: Moulding replaced and the God damn thing is still whistiling away. SO ANNOYING. I removed the clear bra, taped up any and everything I can think of and it persists. I have found several asymmetries between the right and left side and when I tape them off it persists. I tilt the mirror in and it continues. I made an appt for next week and told my SA " Keep the damn car until its fixed. I dont want any excuses or guesses.....just fix it ". He starts to say I cant have the tech drive it over 80 mph ( give me a break ) so I told him I will test drive it with the tech.

If they cant solve this I am dumping my F. I will never drive a car with a rattle, vibration , or wind noise. F that !! The clowns at the dealership just guess. They have very little skill when it comes to **** like this and its maddening . Life is too short to drive a car Im not happy with . The Z28 and the Mustang GT350 have had my eye for a while. This might be the reason to jump on it. Im just going to lease from now on. Im tired of weak *** extended warranties and Im tired of the Lexus dealers in my area.

rant over

what is absolutely pathetic on Lexus' part is that EVERY SINGLE one of my damn Lexus sedans have had this exact same problem and most of the time they will tell me to replace the mirror for $1400. ( GS350, LS460, and now my ISF). Its pathetic.
Greetings:
My 2005 Landcruiser had same terrible noise. Was not windshield or leak there.
Toyota mechanics could not find it.Would do it at 70 and over, and sometines not stop whistling.

I bought a new Toyota Door Gasket/ rubber weatherstrip for Driver's door. And Voila!!
It fixed the problem.. Door now shuts tighter also.
I was at the point to get rid of the car, but now am glad I kept it. Ha!!
Cheerio, Zale
Old 01-16-16, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zpletcher
Greetings:
My 2005 Landcruiser had same terrible noise. Was not windshield or leak there.
Toyota mechanics could not find it.Would do it at 70 and over, and sometines not stop whistling.

I bought a new Toyota Door Gasket/ rubber weatherstrip for Driver's door. And Voila!!
It fixed the problem.. Door now shuts tighter also.
I was at the point to get rid of the car, but now am glad I kept it. Ha!!
Cheerio, Zale
I really hoped thats all it was . I even replaced all of the body plugs . The only fix in my case was the glass. Apparently the techs or factory may not have used a thick enough bead and can cause leaks if the seal ages or contracts.
Old 01-18-16, 04:42 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I really hoped thats all it was . I even replaced all of the body plugs . The only fix in my case was the glass. Apparently the techs or factory may not have used a thick enough bead and can cause leaks if the seal ages or contracts.
Happy to hear you got it sorted mate.

I was getting worried when you said you were done with your F, and might be moving on.

You are a vital resource and roll model for the rest of us when it comes to tracking these awesome machines.

Wouldn't be the same without you!

Hopefully this will keep you in the F for a while longer so we can see and hear more of your trackday exploits.
Old 01-18-16, 10:00 AM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it fixed. Never would've guessed the glass sealing at first.
Old 01-19-16, 08:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Happy to hear you got it sorted mate.

I was getting worried when you said you were done with your F, and might be moving on.

You are a vital resource and roll model for the rest of us when it comes to tracking these awesome machines.

Wouldn't be the same without you!

Hopefully this will keep you in the F for a while longer so we can see and hear more of your trackday exploits.
Thats very very cool of you to say buddy. I appreciate it. I am so sorry about the rant. I read it again and was . I love my ISF but these little things really set me off ( although I have been watching youtube video of the GT350R over and over and over again ). I had a vibration in my LS460 that I chased for close to 2 years. I swore I would never ever deal with anything like that again. It was whistiling like a tea kettle. It was truly maddening . The odd thing is it almost totally stopped as the temps moved back into the 50s again and became intermittent . Windshield replacement has resolved the issue. When they replaced it , they had 2 techs do the work. I also tipped them $40 each and made sure to do it before they started and not after .........LMAO Im learning how to tip the right way as I get older.

BTW skipped a track day this weekend because I have family in town but there are a bunch coming up and excited to say I will be going to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway !! It seems to be pretty popular with Lexus and even a few of the prime automotive publications . I was shooting for 12 track days in less than 24 months. Looks like I will be able to pull it off

OH !! Also spoke to the photographer for HRE wheels today and we doing a full shoot this Sunday at a lake near my home. Super excited. The photographer's work looks amazing .
johnbazay.com
Old 01-19-16, 08:03 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Your windshield might have to be resealed. This happened to me once before.

Quick Reply: A pillar wind noise