IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RRRacing Penske's Coilovers Initial Review

Old 09-08-15, 08:44 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking RRRacing Penske's Coilovers Initial Review

Hello,

I figured I'd postpone my review for them until I put some miles on and see what I can say about them as well as provide information for others. About a month ago I pinged Rafi about their Penske suspension he was developing for our platform.

We talked a bit and scheduled an install, price was really appealing, considering that the next Penske option from Figs was over a grand more, so I decided to pull a trigger on the Suspension, in that set I also opted for RR Racing AOS, USRS and an Oil Cooler.

RR Racing was awesome in this respect as they did the install of everything in one day and accommodated my dates, hanging around the garage and pestering Rafi, but it's not all wasted, he built the Coilovers in front of me, explaining each piece, dual spring setup, adjustments and their settings.

Height Settings:
Rear - 165mm
Front - 160mm

Spring Rates:
Rear - 14k
Front - 16k

Springs: Eibach

Rebound:
-5 Clicks

Rear Coilovers:

After it was all done, was late, 8pm, we took the car for a spin, but before that, I did not like how low the rear was, so we were shuffling wheels and adjusting the height, it is really easy to do and takes minutes with these coilovers.

We went for a drive, Rafi has some really bumpy and beat up roads by him, so I was pleasantly surprised how well it was soaking up the bumps and potholes, surely the suspension is a bit louder than the stock, but having only cheap suspensions before (DC, BC = All the same), this suspension doesn't bounce or feel like you don't have independent suspension, it feels refined and solid, going over bad roads is actually really good, not as soft as on stock suspension, but like riding in an expensive sports car and if you have music on, you don't hear anything coming from suspension either.

When I finally got to ride it, I was in awe, no kidding! Car feels completely different, goes where I want it in a heartbeat (or quicker! ), handling is phenomenal and the rebound and compression settings set are spot on.

RR Racing is having a Track Day this coming Saturday 12th, 2015 so I'll be in better position to put these to test and compare my old times, there is obviously some adjustments that'll need to be made to better suit the car for the given track, but I feel what I have right now should be a good start.

Camber:
Front: -1.7
Rear: -2.2

If I was going to do it again, I would, car feels like a proper race car, handles like on rails and eliminates fender thrash. I'll update the review from the track experience after this Saturday.

Thanks again to RR Racing (Simon and Rafi) for developing great stuff for our cars and I would put this suspension on your Wishlist if you haven't done so already, you will be pleased, also whoever wants to have a ride in my car is welcome to, I'm in North Eastern PA and I'll see some of you on Saturday.
Old 09-08-15, 01:50 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

For some reason i thought the springs were going to be hypercoil for this setup, but you mentioned Eibach? Was there a change?
-R
Old 09-08-15, 02:36 PM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

nice write up!
Old 09-08-15, 10:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

These are really nicely designed. Top quality parts with tons of adjustability. Now I just need to convince the wife. LOL
Old 09-09-15, 04:42 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
For some reason i thought the springs were going to be hypercoil for this setup, but you mentioned Eibach? Was there a change?
-R

We did all our pre-production testing with Hypercoils. Generally speaking, Hypercoil, Swift, and Eibach Race springs are all of equal quality and all are used extensively in the highest forms of racing, Indycar, Endurance, NASCAR, etc. We chose Hypercoil because we wanted to go with a USA manufactured brand. But when it came time to order springs for our inventory, they were backordered 4-6 weeks, so we went with Eibach. We still use Hypercoil helper springs.

bbong-- thank you for that review. Can't wait until the Sept 12th track day to get you feedback once you had a chance to really push these coilovers to the limit. I will say that it is really amazing how comfortable this setup is. There is a little more noise compared to stock or KW V3 setup... but I can say without hesitation that handling in in another league, and even with 16/14 springs, you can tune this setup to be more comfortable than stock.

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 09-09-15 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-09-15, 08:27 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
There is a little more noise compared to stock or KW V3 setup... -Rafi
Rafi,

What do you mean they are a little more noisy compared to stock or KW V3?? I didn't realize coilovers are noisier?

Thx
Old 09-09-15, 10:24 AM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice setup!
Old 09-09-15, 10:52 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Rafi,

What do you mean they are a little more noisy compared to stock or KW V3?? I didn't realize coilovers are noisier?

Thx

KW V3's are quiet just like stock because (1) they reuse all the stock rubber isolators and stock upper mounts and (2) they use much lower spring rates. Our setup uses Aurora spherical zero compliance bushings on the shock and we make our own upper mounts with zero compliance large spherical bearing. Due to the billet aluminum construction and mounts, our setup is also 25lbs+ lighter than V3's.

I have driven an ISF with V3's, there is no comparison in terms of performance compared to our RRR/Penske setup.

Due to the spherical bearings we use, there is a bit of added noise compared to stock setup. It is very minor, and keep in mind bbong is using stock exhaust, so his car is very quiet, but with aftermarket exhaust, the added noise is extremely minor, and well worth the added precision and control that you get with the zero compliance upper and lower mounts.

Rafi

Rafi
Old 09-09-15, 11:29 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
These are really nicely designed. Top quality parts with tons of adjustability. Now I just need to convince the wife. LOL
I'll let you know how they feel after this Saturday, but no joke, they feel great!
Old 09-09-15, 11:38 AM
bbong
Intermediate

KW V3's are quiet just like stock because (1) they reuse all the stock rubber isolators and stock upper mounts and (2) they use much lower spring rates. Our setup uses Aurora spherical zero compliance bushings on the shock and we make our own upper mounts with zero compliance large spherical bearing. Due to the billet aluminum construction and mounts, our setup is also 25lbs+ lighter than V3's.

I have driven an ISF with V3's, there is no comparison in terms of performance compared to our RRR/Penske setup.

Due to the spherical bearings we use, there is a bit of added noise compared to stock setup. It is very minor, and keep in mind bbong is using stock exhaust, so his car is very quiet, but with aftermarket exhaust, the added noise is extremely minor, and well worth the added precision and control that you get with the zero compliance upper and lower mounts.

Rafi

Rafi
My car is all stock besides the suspension upgrades and with stereo off and windows closed, you'll hear more road noise, with aftermarket exhaust or even with stereo playing, it isn't there anymore, also, you have to listen closer to hear it.

It is really not a problem at all, especially if you had an exhaust done, not sure you should care about that anymore, but gains in handling outweigh the miniscule increase in road sound, to me it's an improvement as I feel and hear the road better, I drive the car everyday and to and from the track.

I'm pretty sure many of you wont even notice it after getting it installed and putting on your favorite tune to drive back home and enjoy the different car.

Last edited by bbong; 09-09-15 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 03:25 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Rafi

Rafi
Thanks for the explanation They sound like a quality piece of engineering!
Old 09-13-15, 08:05 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Small teaser from the RR Racing event with HOD @ NJMP : Lightning

I did put the coilovers to the test! Though this video is shot by my wife from the bleachers, I believe this is coming out of the 7th corner.

https://goo.gl/photos/Z1pVkm7YQ6MAKavg7

Last edited by bbong; 09-13-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 08:17 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

I know you mentioned the height settings, but I'm not sure how those numbers translate into how much lower than stock your car now is?
Do you have any stills of your car with this suspension set up?
Thanks
-R
Old 09-13-15, 08:27 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I know you mentioned the height settings, but I'm not sure how those numbers translate into how much lower than stock your car now is?
Do you have any stills of your car with this suspension set up?
Thanks
-R
These are only my settings, I did not want to roll the fenders and I live in PA, I also drive the car in the winter, so I didn't want it to be too low. I think the rear is the same as stock, maybe 0.25" lower, front is probably around 0.75" to 1" lower.

You can adjust these coilovers however you want to, higher or lower ride, I went with the settings I put up as this suits me for now as well as the area where I live.

I'll also post up pics of the car, just give me few, phone is slowly backing them up.

Last edited by bbong; 09-13-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-13-15, 08:33 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bbong
These are only my settings, I did not want to roll the fenders and I live in PA, I also drive the car in the winter, so I didn't want it to be too low. I think the rear is the same as stock, maybe 0.25" lower, front is probably around 0.75" to 1" lower.

You can adjust these coilovers however you want to, higher or lower ride, I went with the settings I put up as this suits me for now as well as the area where I live.

I'll also post up pics of the car, just give me few, phone is slowly backing them up.
Ah, cool. Thank you.
-R

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RRRacing Penske's Coilovers Initial Review