IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Battery Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 08:11 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Battery Light Question

Hello everyone! Today my beloved F gave me a bit of a scare so now I'm trying to figure out if there is actually a problem or if it was some sort of fluke. I've been searching the forums like crazy tonight but have not found anyone with the same issue.

Driving to work this morning, the car was driving perfect. When I was leaving work, I started the car and it started just fine. However, the battery light came on and the voltage indicator on the dash (little bars) spiked to the top at 16v (normally it should sit at the halfway mark). I proceeded to drive the car home with no problems at all (approximately 18 miles... mostly freeway) and as I was driving, the battery light turned off and the bars on the voltage indicator began to drop to the normal halfway mark.

When I got home everything appeared to be normal. Using my voltmeter, I tested the battery with the car off and it read 12.4v. I then turned the car on and tested the battery again and it read 13.65v. I turned the car on and off about 5 times and everything was acting normal with no issues.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what I should check? Just FYI, I did replace the battery with a Costco Interstate battery about 2 months ago and as of tonight there was zero corrosion on the terminals.

Thanks in advance for any help... I would be much appreciated!

-Steve
Old 08-27-15, 12:33 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

To me, I would check the alternator. Make sure it's working properly. I never had this issue on my F but I did encounter it on my other cars.
Old 08-27-15, 09:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
To me, I would check the alternator. Make sure it's working properly. I never had this issue on my F but I did encounter it on my other cars.
+1. seeing a voltage spike like that would make me suspect the voltage regulator is having issues. It may be spiking or not filtering the AC from the unit well and over time it could really **** off a lot of the 27 ECUs in the car.
Old 08-27-15, 09:36 AM
DAng87
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try double checking the terminals to make sure they are tight, ive seen some weird stuff happen with just loose terminals
Old 08-27-15, 09:54 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Thank you all who have replied. This morning I drove to work and everything appeared to be normal. Thank you for the advice on checking the alternator... I'll go to Pep Boys (or wherever) and see if I can get it tested.

Is the alternator prone to go bad in these cars? Also, on average, how difficult is it to change one out (I'm decently mechanically inclined)?

Thanks again everyone! Such a great forum!
Old 08-27-15, 12:22 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Thank you all who have replied. This morning I drove to work and everything appeared to be normal. Thank you for the advice on checking the alternator... I'll go to Pep Boys (or wherever) and see if I can get it tested.

Is the alternator prone to go bad in these cars? Also, on average, how difficult is it to change one out (I'm decently mechanically inclined)?

Thanks again everyone! Such a great forum!
Rickna just replaced his alternator and Meade audio guy has a youtube video when changing his 2011 F alternator. Hope it was just a blip. See you around riverside area soon .
Old 08-27-15, 01:26 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Miqueaseli
Rickna just replaced his alternator and Meade audio guy has a youtube video when changing his 2011 F alternator. Hope it was just a blip. See you around riverside area soon .
Yup, I replaced my alternator about 3 weeks ago. I don't think it was the voltage regulator since it wasn't spiking. However, no problems since.
Old 09-01-15, 11:07 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Hello everyone! Just wanted to come back here and update this thread with the solution to the issue I was experiencing just in case someone else has the same issue. As much as it pained me to do so, do to my work schedule and time restrictions, I ended up taking the car to the dealership for them to diagnose and repair (I typically do all my own repairs on my cars). As it turns out, the problem was the alternator. Hope this will be of help to anyone else who may see this issue.