IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Iss ques drone 100% eliminated! No BS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 11:18 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont need to desing any side branch by doing this (blocking the upper muffler exhaust tip on a iis ques , some how ! Eliminates the drone on the system 100% . I only want to share this because i know people hate the drone on our cars, and i partially found my solution and just wanted to share it. I dont sell
Or fabricate
Anything!!!
Old 08-27-15, 12:43 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

They are called side branch resonators. I added this to mine and no more drone while cruising. And minimal restriction if at all
Old 08-27-15, 03:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have had my exhaust so hot on track that I burned my hand on the floor of the trunk just trying to put the spare back in. I had a blister and eveything. I can only imagine how hot the inside of the muffler would be. I would be concerned about fire. The exhaust shop that fixed my buzzing I had with a slight defect in my Joe Z system can probably suggest something to reduce drone. I have been driving with the windows up for months because of the heat . In the winter, fall, and spring I roll with the windows down and sunroof open. I like the noise with the windows down , but rolled up you do get a lot of droning under 2k rpm . Unfortunately that pretty much all the time while rolling.
Old 08-27-15, 05:07 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Not to be an ***, but an exhaust that drones is one that the manufacture skimped on the design and engineering.

There's helmholtz calculators online to figure out capacity to remove that frequency. Unfortunately most exhausts are compiled with off the shelf components with some forethought in regards to tone, but rarely that extra R&D to truly "tune" the system.

I hate drone with a passion. Wouldn't be a bad investment to figure out what size chambers required and sell em to those that already have an exhaust with said issue.
Old 08-27-15, 05:15 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daedalus
+1 for the helmholtz chamber. Had a custom exhaust setup made up for my 911tt with these chambers and it turned what is normally a hugely droning systems into something that screams when you're on it but cancels out the interior drone on the highway.

I amazes me that exhaust manufacturers don't do the extra research to calculate the frequencies to have these chambers eliminate the drone on every exhaust.

There is no downside... you can literally have your cake and eat it too.

Did you have Chris build your exhaust? I live a block from him so I hear lots of bad azz cars leaving his place the 911s sound crazy with his exhaust. I regret buying an ISS forged instead of having him make me one. I did have him make me a titanium intake pipe.

Name:  imagejpg1_zps7bbae44d.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  100.3 KB
Old 08-27-15, 05:32 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

I knew that's there for a reason! now I know exactly what for

Old 08-27-15, 06:07 PM
Jangco
Driver School Candidate

what exhaust systems have these helmholtz chambers already?
Old 08-27-15, 06:10 PM
FFM
Racer

HKS does. Not sure what exhaust is posted right above though...

Is that some sort of Greddy? Almost looks titanium.
Old 08-27-15, 06:49 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
HKS does. Not sure what exhaust is posted right above though...

Is that some sort of Greddy? Almost looks titanium.
It's an Icode titanium.
Old 08-27-15, 07:00 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Not to be an ***, but an exhaust that drones is one that the manufacture skimped on the design and engineering.

There's helmholtz calculators online to figure out capacity to remove that frequency. Unfortunately most exhausts are compiled with off the shelf components with some forethought in regards to tone, but rarely that extra R&D to truly "tune" the system.

I hate drone with a passion. Wouldn't be a bad investment to figure out what size chambers required and sell em to those that already have an exhaust with said issue.
A company called Synapse engineering already sells these for this exact issue.
Old 08-27-15, 08:04 PM
FFM
Racer

Nice, Synapse makes good stuff. Never noticed they offered something like this. Sounds like some exhaust systems are in need of a design revision
Old 08-28-15, 07:57 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

Im trying to figure out how can i block and un block that exhaust tip, some kind of flapper desing like the ppe exhaust or so ... Te rags once again are for proving a point , theres no need to weld another chamber to the iss forge que's becausewhen you block that exhaust tip that muffler becomesthe chamber andno drone is felt in the car what so ever , men !!! Try it the car or rag wont burn , later you decide how to block it permanently or mechanically actuated , i like the last choice because sometimes i like it loud others like it quiet
Old 08-28-15, 08:44 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by KOKISF
Im trying to figure out how can i block and un block that exhaust tip, some kind of flapper desing like the ppe exhaust or so ... Te rags once again are for proving a point , theres no need to weld another chamber to the iss forge que's becausewhen you block that exhaust tip that muffler becomesthe chamber andno drone is felt in the car what so ever , men !!! Try it the car or rag wont burn , later you decide how to block it permanently or mechanically actuated , i like the last choice because sometimes i like it loud others like it quiet
Any good fabricator should have no problem adding an electronic valve to your exhaust to achieve the result you are looking for.
Old 08-28-15, 09:18 AM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Did you have Chris build your exhaust? I live a block from him so I hear lots of bad azz cars leaving his place the 911s sound crazy with his exhaust. I regret buying an ISS forged instead of having him make me one. I did have him make me a titanium intake pipe.
I'm still waiting for you to go to them and have a titanium exhaust built so I can buy your ISS. Seriously, get on with it already
Old 08-28-15, 09:46 AM
FFM
Racer

I don't see why you would spend a few hundred dollars buying a valve and paying for fabrication to restrict your exhaust system, when a simple "no drone" pipe from Synapse and maybe $50 to weld it on equals the same result.

Quick Reply: Iss ques drone 100% eliminated! No BS