IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What other cars did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-15, 09:41 AM
smiley424
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally shopping a WRX STI or EVO. I also had thoughts on maybe a BMW 135i, 335i, and M3. CTS-V and ISF were in the mix, but at the top of what I was willing to pay. I didn't really think I would get an ISF unless a sweet deal came up. Lo and behold a 2008 MSM came up for sale, $30K with 15k miles. Got her for $28K and haven't looked back since.
Old 09-06-15, 04:47 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Still shopping, will likely wait till next spring, but my current list is as follows.

E92M - DCT/carbon roof/comp package a must
Pros: High revving V8, aggressive exterior styling, superior gearbox to the competition, easily supercharged and mod friendly
Cons: Interior is meh, rod bearing failure

RS5
Pros: Sounds insane, nice interior, awd so seasonal vehicle, simpler but still mean styling, surprisingly pretty good mpg for a V8
Cons: Prone to carbon buildup, Audi not known for their reliability, but I always get warranties so not that big of a deal

ISF - 2010+
Pros: Reliable, low cost of ownership, torque
Cons: Inability to tune, not as aggressive looking as the others, worst gearbox of group (not bad, but no DCT)

And I still haven't decided if the reliability factor wins over performance, so here I sit without any of them haha.
Old 09-07-15, 08:04 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^
Love the RS5, but geez I thought by now Audi would've gotten the carbon buildup issue fixed?......
Old 09-07-15, 11:51 AM
FFM
Racer

Have you googled some of the pics of the "bad" carbon buildup? It's a little concerning to say the least. Talking to an Audi expert he said the trick is to drive it like you stole it. Unfortunately you don't know if the prior owner did short trips all the time which is what causes the issue. For once you want one that someone regularly pounded on lol. It's still a maybe but definitely a pretty major flaw.

Least the E92 bearings can be replaced and am told by a BMW master tech you shouldn't have to be concerned afterwards. But dumb to either have to DIY or pay $2500 after buying a "new" to you vehicle.
Old 09-07-15, 04:21 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I haven't googled any pics, (but will after this) just heard of the issues over the years when Audi introduced DI and the subsequent carbon buildup fiasco.

Like you said if you can get a good aftermarket, or manufacturer extended warranty then the issues with the BMW or Audi might not be such a big deal?
Old 09-07-15, 07:02 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Still shopping, will likely wait till next spring, but my current list is as follows.

E92M - DCT/carbon roof/comp package a must
Pros: High revving V8, aggressive exterior styling, superior gearbox to the competition, easily supercharged and mod friendly
Cons: Interior is meh, rod bearing failure
Drive-shaft breaking for one owner I know personally.

DCT had some issues, not considering a 6 M/T?

I would personally not buy a used M3, they just seem to be money pits that require extended warranty. Some folks haven't had issues, some did. Doesn't seem consistent.

If I was going to MOD a car right now, it would be a 3rd Gen RX-7 with a 355 CID TwinTurbo V8 swap, 800 bhp / 800 lb-ft on pump gas. (someday hopefully)
Old 09-08-15, 09:30 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE

I would personally not buy a used M3, they just seem to be money pits that require extended warranty. Some folks haven't had issues, some did. Doesn't seem consistent.
Just about any Bimmer with 60K Mi or more will start to have problems. I'm hesitant about putting any more $ into mine. Although the xi is a very good winter car.
Old 09-08-15, 10:58 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickna
Just about any Bimmer with 60K Mi or more will start to have problems. I'm hesitant about putting any more $ into mine. Although the xi is a very good winter car.
Without turning this thread into a BMW shooting range, I always thought it was funny how their slogan is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" but after so many miles it does not seem to be the case.
Old 09-08-15, 11:40 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I was going to MOD a car right now, it would be a 3rd Gen RX-7 with a 355 CID TwinTurbo V8 swap, 800 bhp / 800 lb-ft on pump gas. (someday hopefully)
Only 'smart' way to get into a used M3 is CPO and then dump it before the warranty expires. A coworker's had his E92 for 2+ years and hasn't had a single issue with it, but I'd consider that anomalous.
Old 09-08-15, 12:46 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looked at the M3, S4, S5, RS4 and let me tell you I couldn't be any happier. I found mine on cars.com and immediately drove 400 miles to pick it up and it was the best decision I've ever made. i even got 28.5 mpg on the freeway cruising at 70mph on the way home The reliability of this car is beyond what words can describe. It's a perfect daily driver and track car if you want it to be. Also I dont know about others but i love the interior, the stitched aluminum is awesome and the infotainment system is super quick and responsive and has all the features you need. Heck mine is a 2010, has 81,000 miles and not a squeak or rattle is present even on the harshest roads. No regrets at all on this car
Old 09-08-15, 01:32 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Only 'smart' way to get into a used M3 is CPO and then dump it before the warranty expires. A coworker's had his E92 for 2+ years and hasn't had a single issue with it, but I'd consider that anomalous.
Never really understood that mindset, seems like financial "suicide" to me. Dump all that money into a car you won't be able to own 2 years from now when the warranty expires. May as well just lease it if the terms are better.
Old 09-08-15, 05:09 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Without turning this thread into a BMW shooting range, I always thought it was funny how their slogan is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" but after so many miles it does not seem to be the case.
You're exactly right. i'm not bimmer Bashing, I'm just speaking from my own & current experience.
Old 09-08-15, 05:26 PM
FFM
Racer

Because they are? Obviously it's a sales pitch. But it is true, BMW's over the decades have proven to be well performing machines. Obviously reliability is commonly used by non BMW fans to try and diminish that reputation, but it's predominantly true. Hell the pretty mundane 3 series maintained top 10 rating the entire E9X chassis.

6MT is a pretty mediocre gearbox. DCT is phenomenal especially paired to that engine. Which is overall quite reliable, or would have been if they acknowledged the rod bearing issue.

My uncle is a SA for BMW of Seattle. I take his recommendations as real "personal" experience. He wouldn't have bought one himself if he shared your same confidence.

I'm pretty open minded to most vehicles, except American cars which I feel we are blind to how garbage they are even compared to German cars, thus try and not bandwagon one side or the other. I think most cars have good qualities and some bad and the trick is to weight the two per what YOU want the car to do.

New Cayman S looks good too
Old 09-08-15, 05:58 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Didn't consider anything else. My wife and I had very poor German car experiences (one Audi; two AMGs) and my older brother owned every Audi sedan made, from the 100LS to the RS4 before he stopped buying them altogether, so lots of good Audi feedback over the years.

We had had very good Toyota experiences over the years, so we stopped experimenting with the Germans and have gone strictly Toyota ever since. I was considering an early model IS-F, but waited for the 2010 with the TORSEN LSD, since the same diff was OEM for the MKIV Supra.

I get comparing the IS-F with its in-class competition, the BMW 3-series, Audi S4/RS4, Mercedes C63, older CTS-Vs and the current ATS-V. What I don't get is cross-shopping various Evos and Subarus with the IS-F. They are cars, regardless of price, in a completely different class, with different target audiences. Maybe it's explained by age. I mean, I'm an old guy and maybe many of you are much younger.

My neighbor's kids have three WRXs and I can't imagine cross-shopping those cars while evaluating whether or not an IS-F would be in my future.

Ken.
Old 09-09-15, 08:26 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

used e90 M3 - but I was afraid of lack of reliability, plus coming from e90 330i I wanted something different
new f31 335i touring - practicality, same money as 3 years old IS-F, but f31 feels so 'average' in comparison

I got IS-F and if my wife wants more practicality she will have to get bigger car for herself

Quick Reply: What other cars did you consider?