Starter? Car fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 10:38 AM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kitsune
I bought a denso reman from rock auto

Anything else I should replace while putting in the reman starter?
If you don't have headers but are considering them now is the time because your passenger side exhaust manifold needs to be removed anyway to get to the starter.
Old 07-05-16, 01:06 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drok149
If you don't have headers but are considering them now is the time because your passenger side exhaust manifold needs to be removed anyway to get to the starter.
Got a message from the shop and looks like the header is totally damaged lol. It's missing pieces from the oem header so looks like I will be going headers
Old 07-05-16, 04:46 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a message from the shop and looks like the header is totally damaged lol. It's missing pieces from the oem header so looks like I will be going headers

The pipe is most likely broken at the slip flange on one or two ports. It's a common failure for the stock manifolds.
Your already paying for one header to be installed when you do the starter so it really is the perfect time to do it if you can afford the parts.
And don't mess around, just but 2 new Denso upstream A/F sensors. Your old ones most likely won't come out and if they do the treads will be in poor shape.
I always install the Figs LCA #2 bushing for my customers when doing headers as well.
Old 07-05-16, 05:51 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
The pipe is most likely broken at the slip flange on one or two ports. It's a common failure for the stock manifolds.
Your already paying for one header to be installed when you do the starter so it really is the perfect time to do it if you can afford the parts.
And don't mess around, just but 2 new Denso upstream A/F sensors. Your old ones most likely won't come out and if they do the treads will be in poor shape.
I always install the Figs LCA #2 bushing for my customers when doing headers as well.
I guess some plastic piece for the starter was brittle and broken off as well. Do you guys know what that part is? I need to order some stuff and get my car running.
Old 07-05-16, 06:07 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

The plastic wire guide that runs along the B + wire is what was brittle. It will shatter to pieces the second you touch it just like the plastic on top of the intake manifold does. I wouldn't even bother trying to get those parts from Lexus. Some DEI heat sleeve and heat wrap will do a better job and last much longer.
Old 07-05-16, 06:38 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
The plastic wire guide that runs along the B + wire is what was brittle. It will shatter to pieces the second you touch it just like the plastic on top of the intake manifold does. I wouldn't even bother trying to get those parts from Lexus. Some DEI heat sleeve and heat wrap will do a better job and last much longer.
Here is some pictures of my oem exhaust manifold and that plastic piece.
Attached Thumbnails Starter? Car fails to start-img_20160705_130850_01.jpg   Starter? Car fails to start-img_20160705_130917_01.jpg   Starter? Car fails to start-img_20160705_183419_01.jpg  
Old 07-05-16, 07:27 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Those are both the common issues that I mentioned. A set of headers and some creativity with heat wrap will fix that.
Old 07-06-16, 07:45 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Do you know the guide wire black plastic piece part number that is damaged in my picture? I need to order one
Old 07-06-16, 09:02 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know the guide wire black plastic piece part number that is damaged in my picture? I need to order one
No, sorry I do not but you should be able to find it in a parts diagram from an online Lexus parts dealer. My suggestion is to not replace it with the same plastic but rather use a heatwarp of your choice. All of the plastic wire guides on these engines turn to glass pretty quickly due to heat. You can literally drop them on the ground with no force and watch them shatter into a ton of pieces.
That intake guide that everyone freaks out about when the dealer techs break it is impossible not to break.

To give you an idea here is what I did to eliminate that plastic junk on Drok149's car during a valve lash inspection.
That is a high heat braided split loom and DEI self vulcanizing heat tape (not electric tape).

Name:  1E22DC9D-56F1-4A1B-BD9D-CD3B9AE6BD22.jpg
Views: 3568
Size:  425.6 KB

Name:  F946215E-49AF-4CBE-A030-67E93B3DE581.jpg
Views: 3590
Size:  445.8 KB
Old 07-06-16, 09:18 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Thanks

I just placed an order for PPE Headers. I guess I'm modding the car now instead of waiting until next year
Old 07-06-16, 09:32 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
To give you an idea here is what I did to eliminate that plastic junk on Drok149's car during a valve lash inspection.
That is a high heat braided split loom and DEI self vulcanizing heat tape (not electric tape).
Nice work!

I'll have to remember that if/when I mess with my wiring tray.

-Mike
Old 01-31-17, 03:50 PM
sharkisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Failed Starter

Thread revival. Just had the same problem with my ISF. 104,000 miles and the starter has failed. Just purchased a new refurbished starter from El Vato zone for 200.00 with a 35 dollar core exchange. Anyone know any good shops that would charge a reasonable price? Or someone that can come to my home and do it? Don't want to get raped at the dealer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Im without a car for now. Located in Los Angeles.

Last edited by sharkisf; 01-31-17 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Adding location
Old 01-31-17, 06:25 PM
Miqueaseli
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My friend is in Ventura County and he helps me with my ISF maintenance I'll ask him if he can go to your place to to replace starter.
Old 02-01-17, 02:53 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkisf
Thread revival. Just had the same problem with my ISF. 104,000 miles and the starter has failed. Just purchased a new refurbished starter from El Vato zone for 200.00 with a 35 dollar core exchange. Anyone know any good shops that would charge a reasonable price? Or someone that can come to my home and do it? Don't want to get raped at the dealer. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Im without a car for now. Located in Los Angeles.
Sorry to hear - brings back poor memories - I was stuck at a parking lot not being able to start my car - took the flatbed tow truck driver a while since my car is lowered too.
Good luck with the replacement.
When you press the start button do you hear one loud "strike" / CLICK?

I could tell you that after the replacement my car has been running solid however my exhaust manifold is totally leaking as I could hear and smell it from above the engine bay. Unless my installer did not tighten the bolts well enough - hardly doubt this is the case though.
Old 02-01-17, 09:37 AM
sharkisf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one of my Dad's mechanic replace it for 440. For a total of 640 with the starter. Yes, had the same problem just a loud click. 1st tested the battery and it was fully charged 100%. Checked connections and ultimately determined it was the starter. Replacing starter fixed issue. I would definitely check exhaust gaskets or take it to an exhaust shop to have gaskets checked if necessary or loose bolts. Thanks everyone for the help.

Quick Reply: Starter? Car fails to start