IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Starter? Car fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 04:44 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't think of anything off hand... I would love to take your core and compare it to the 3UR starter I have. The UR starters share many parts, both are 2.0 KW motors, but the solenoid is a different part number.
Old 06-26-16, 09:15 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^In your opinion do you think if your getting ready to put in headers that it should be something you just replace while the subframe and steering rack are off to save on labor down the road or no? My car has 69k on the clock......

Thx
Old 06-26-16, 10:19 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^In your opinion do you think if your getting ready to put in headers that it should be something you just replace while the subframe and steering rack are off to save on labor down the road or no? My car has 69k on the clock......

Thx
If it was me I would since it's located between the block and header
Old 06-26-16, 11:27 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

That's what I'm kinda thinking mo $$
Old 06-26-16, 05:32 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Have some long tubes goin in soon, so I'll grab a starter as well.

Is 750 Rock Auto's price, or the dealer's?
Old 06-26-16, 06:58 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

My dealer here but it's $550 on eBay and other dealerships. For some reason the mark up is high here in pdx
Old 06-27-16, 11:56 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
I just replace a failed starter on an ISF for a customer two weeks ago. Same symptoms, just a click. I bench tested it once removed and confirmed the issue. He already had a Denso replacement ready for me when I pulled it out so we sent the original one back as a core.

The starter is tucked up above the right exhaust manifold. Fourtunatly this car was getting PPE headers installed which made the starter install much easier. I would hate to try to replace it without the manifold removed and I'm not really sure if it's even an option.
The car I was working on had 130k on it so it wasn't a huge deal that the starter failed. I did however find that the starter is subjected to a ton of heat since it's stuffed between the engine and the manifold. All of the plastic wire guides and protectors were so brittle that they just crumbled with a light touch of the hand. I had to come up with a different solution for protecting the wires.
There are heat shields around the starter but since it's in a pocket between the manifold, block, cylinder head and the transmission I don't see any way for the heat to escape or deflect away from it. I'm pretty sure this will be a common failure as the cars age.
Wondering if you had to remove the motor or lift up the motor?

Lexus is giving me another number on hours and other independent shops saying it takes 13-15hrs to install the starter since the motor and transmission needs to be removed.

So I'm looking at $2k-$2500 in labor. WFT!

I might as well go buy some tools and do it myself, just need a manual lol
Old 06-27-16, 12:52 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

This is why I'm thinking of doing it as a preventative measure when I do headers turning into a expensive endeavor with having on brand new O2 sensors just in case they're needed for the install, makes me double think installing headers
Old 06-27-16, 06:30 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

I'd go with a reputable independent shop since they're generally cheaper than dealers.
Old 06-27-16, 06:43 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly doubt the engine needs to be removed. This engine is very similar to an LS460, which starters go bad on quite frequently. The passenger side exhaust manifold needs to come off, but once that is off, it's all open.
Old 06-27-16, 07:38 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this done on my isf.
The shop that I brought it to charged me 750 labour.

They dropped the sub frame. Removed oil dip stick. Removed one exhaust manifold. Heat shields. Battery for more access to other manifold bolts / shields and the starter was then removed.

They put everything back and also realigned my vehicle.

Truthfully right when I dropped the car off it looked like 30 minutes later majority bolts and shields were removed. They were closing. And by morning all was ready to put the stater in.

I paid for oem starter as I did not want to deal with any issues since labour was not cheap.
Old 06-27-16, 07:40 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ya. I inquires at a dealership and they wanted over $3k saying the same thing engine and transmission needs to be removed.

In the shop manual I believe it states this is the process.
Old 06-27-16, 08:37 PM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clarionguy
Oh ya. I inquires at a dealership and they wanted over $3k saying the same thing engine and transmission needs to be removed.

In the shop manual I believe it states this is the process.
Yup all service manuals states 13.5 hr labor
Old 07-05-16, 08:26 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As stated above THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO TOUCH THE TRANS OR LIFT THE ENGINE. Removing only what is needed to get the right side exhaust manifold out of the way is what is involved in doing the starter replacement. It is maybe an 8 hour job for the first timer but someone who has experience could do it in 4-5 hrs.
If Lexus is charging you 13.5 hrs then stay far away from them as a candidate to do the repair.
Old 07-05-16, 10:22 AM
kitsune
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
As stated above THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO TOUCH THE TRANS OR LIFT THE ENGINE. Removing only what is needed to get the right side exhaust manifold out of the way is what is involved in doing the starter replacement. It is maybe an 8 hour job for the first timer but someone who has experience could do it in 4-5 hrs.
If Lexus is charging you 13.5 hrs then stay far away from them as a candidate to do the repair.
Not just Lexus but most ASE certified shops quoting 13hrs because of what manual tells them what needs to be done to replace starter.

I found a shop that can do it the short cut way before pulling the motor

Quick Reply: Starter? Car fails to start