IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RCF vs ISF drag strip battle.

Old 08-17-15, 08:00 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Stock wheels are forged too. Looks like the RCF is riddin' on 20s, so no weight saving there.

Lou
Even with 20s, my stocks were about 1-2 lbs heavier than my custom forged monoblock wheels.
Old 08-17-15, 08:47 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Saw the video posted on the rc f forum, he got u on the jump all the time...
Old 08-17-15, 09:05 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
I believe both drivers stated their mods in the previews thread. The ISF has intake, headers and exhaust. The RCF has exhaust and about 148 pounds in weight reduction. That heat and humidity did take a huge toll on both cars though.
Originally Posted by melbitoast
Holy crap! Changing his wheels saved him 100lbs??
Originally Posted by Gearbangin
He said the carbon ceramic rotors saved about that and the forged wheels help too.
Originally Posted by RCF500
Even with 20s, my stocks were about 1-2 lbs heavier than my custom forged monoblock wheels.
Come on, guys. This is not happening. Do not confuse a reduction in rotational weight with a reduction in curb weight. Do you know how difficult it would be to take out 148-pounds from an RC-F? Even the OEMs have great difficulty taking weight out of their light-weight specials. Most of the weight reduction will come from the carbon ceramic rotors but, even then, in some CC set-ups the lighter weight of the rotors is offset, at least partially, by heavier calipers. Put the car on a scale and find out what the real deal is before current and would-be owners of the RC-F come to believe taking off 148-pounds of weight is as easy as changing shoes.

Ken.
Old 08-18-15, 05:16 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Lost on the tree every time even with me being faster of the two cars. Cars are so close I could never get that time back on the big end. You see my car is about a tenth faster and 1 mph trap speed. Not bad for a 7 year old car. Rcf vs Isf

Old 08-18-15, 07:30 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

were you sleeping at the tree? Lol. He won three and you won two. You were faster and had almost 2mph higher trap than him. You should have won all races.
Old 08-18-15, 08:37 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Dont worry Im sure we will have a rematch soon!
Old 08-18-15, 10:49 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont worry Im sure we will have a rematch soon!
looks like you were waiting on the 3rd light when you should just leave on the 2nd. good runs, tho...
Old 08-18-15, 11:44 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

This essentially confirms what we all have already read before... in a straight line, the RCF is not much faster than the ISF, and a modded ISF is faster than a "modded" RCF. Granted, if and when a set of headers comes out for the RCF, chances are it will edge out a FBO ISF, but still, the two are close enough in a straight line to be a driver's race.

The Lexus engineers never claimed they were building a straight line monster though. I'd be really curious to see some lap time comparisons between the two vehicles. The RCF, despite the weight disadvantage, should be the faster car around a road course.

If you're like most people, and you aren't going to seriously track your car, the incentive to sell the ISF to get an RCF probably isn't quite there yet for most people. You're losing a little utility and not gaining much performance all for some new tech and a new body. It's still an amazing car, but maybe not amazing enough to get a lot of ISF owners to go make the change.

Still waiting on a new ISF based on the 3IS body style. If and when they figure that one out, I think that's the winner.
Old 08-18-15, 11:49 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
looks like you were waiting on the 3rd light when you should just leave on the 2nd. good runs, tho...
Yeah I was leaving on third yellow light.. Isn't each light .5 seconds on a sportsman tree? I never had an issue before but I couldn't make up that .5 second on the big end this time because cars are so close.
Old 08-19-15, 01:07 AM
StevenLiu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That RCF looks mean!
Old 08-19-15, 06:07 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
This essentially confirms what we all have already read before... in a straight line, the RCF is not much faster than the ISF, and a modded ISF is faster than a "modded" RCF. Granted, if and when a set of headers comes out for the RCF, chances are it will edge out a FBO ISF, but still, the two are close enough in a straight line to be a driver's race.

The Lexus engineers never claimed they were building a straight line monster though. I'd be really curious to see some lap time comparisons between the two vehicles. The RCF, despite the weight disadvantage, should be the faster car around a road course.

If you're like most people, and you aren't going to seriously track your car, the incentive to sell the ISF to get an RCF probably isn't quite there yet for most people. You're losing a little utility and not gaining much performance all for some new tech and a new body. It's still an amazing car, but maybe not amazing enough to get a lot of ISF owners to go make the change.

Still waiting on a new ISF based on the 3IS body style. If and when they figure that one out, I think that's the winner.
Very well said, and in my opinion, pretty much settles the entire discussion because you covered the major points perfectly.

And....2018. I still think they'll do it. 2018.
Old 08-19-15, 07:32 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

RCF500 and I will be attending a track night next month. Now he has carbon ceramic brakes all around so forget about out braking him. Lol
Old 08-19-15, 10:59 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

RCF500 and I will be attending a track night next month. Now he has carbon ceramic brakes all around so forget about out braking him. Lol
We'll get some of the footage up for that event also! I'll be registering for it soon.
Old 08-19-15, 11:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Brakes don't stop the car. Tires stop the car. The brakes are just there to collect the heat from the tires working. Don't misunderstand, I'd love to have carbon brakes on my F, but there won't be any easily measured performance difference between iron brakes and carbon brakes on street cars except at the scales.
Old 08-19-15, 01:20 PM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Brakes don't stop the car. Tires stop the car. The brakes are just there to collect the heat from the tires working. Don't misunderstand, I'd love to have carbon brakes on my F, but there won't be any easily measured performance difference between iron brakes and carbon brakes on street cars except at the scales.
I agree that carbon ceramic brakes are almost pointless on a street car and not a good use of money when it comes to gaining performance. However, I have always thought that brakes have just as much to do with the car stopping as the tires do. Tires do stop the car, but using that argument, brakes stop the tires. Crappy pads and crappy tires will both have a negative effect when it comes to stopping distances.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RCF vs ISF drag strip battle.