IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How long will you keep your F, forever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-15, 10:27 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

For a guy that has commitment issues with humans, I get very attached to the machines that "show up" for me and deliver. I consider myself blessed/lucky financially because at this stage I could afford to either truly start my collection or buy a new winter car. These two statements being said...

My '97 Infiniti i30t is getting some homebrew body work today because I love the car so much. I'd like to get at least another winter out of it without driving around in ANY rust. Where I live and where I park it, I have the oldest car on the road / lot, but I could care less. It still looks good and drives like the day I drove it off the lot. It was always there for me too, and never stranded me with the exception of one time (and the starter warned me for a month before it happened).

I say this about this car to kinda explain myself vs. those on here that skip through cars every 3-4 years. I have friends like this and I understand. I just get really attached to these things. Remember in Conan the Barbarian when the father tells a young Conan "for you cannot trust neither man nor beat - but THIS you can trust" referencing a sword he had just built? That's me. LOL =)

I'm keeping the F forever unless there's a catastrophe and I need to get rid of it. I am obsessed with this car. The criteria for the cars I've kept were always the ones I'd admire when walking to it every time I'd walk to it. I didn't set out for a MM 08 but this is what I got and I admire it every time I walk to it. It still occasionally frightens me too which of course is criteria for a car like this.

I'm banking on it becoming a collector. Not just the rarity of the cars, but also as Lexus' first entry into a genre where others had already spent decades. In the end, the car is just kick fkin' ***.

I know this post got real emotional real quick but I'm hitting submit anyway.
Old 08-16-15, 02:23 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh, never is a strong word. May wanna use the exception clause for the market crash back in 2008. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by KJH
The F was never discounted, had a much shorter production run than the NSX and a significantly smaller total production number as a result. Its values may not rise over time, but it has as good a chance, if not better, than any car from its era and class.

Discounts in and of themselves are not, necessarily, predictive. The Supra was discounted $10k in its last year of production and look at it now.

Ken.
Old 08-16-15, 04:52 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Uh, never is a strong word. May wanna use the exception clause for the market crash back in 2008. Just sayin'.
Maybe you can share your evidence that the IS-F was the subject of an official factory pricing discount in 2008, the year of its initial release.

Ken.
Old 08-16-15, 08:10 PM
toky916
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keeping mine DD it right now but later I'll get something new and leave her in the garage.
Love the car and how rare it is. With v8 going away I think I'll keep this little beast.
Old 08-16-15, 10:27 PM
shyguyF
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I"m saving up money for Novel header, OS Giken LSD and maybe Penske coilover and i"m done with my 08 F and keep her forever.
Old 08-17-15, 01:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the car represents a turning point for lexus and Toyota too. Its the first fun Lexus. The first Lexus that could get some respect at a track day.