IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How long will you keep your F, forever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 05:10 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigcloud
I had planned on keeping the F for a long time, but I've been actively shopping for 996, 997.1 and 997.2 Porsche GT-3's.
Those things, especially the 997s, are appreciating in value. Hard to find!
Old 08-14-15, 05:14 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I just got rid of my ISF. I never anticipated keeping it forever as I know that's just not how I do cars. Every 3-4 years I'm looking around for something else. I will say this though, the F is an awesome machine and I wouldn't rule out getting another one somewhere in the future. It's truly the "do-it-all" car, with 4 doors, bulletproof reliability, performance, looks, exclusivity, luxury... I mean it's the real deal.

I'm on record on this board over the years saying a Porsche is essentially the only car I'd ever get out of the F to go and get, and that's exactly what happened. Very, very few other cars on the market today for under $100K intrigue me like the ISF does.
Old 08-14-15, 07:20 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought this car last November to be my last daily driver before retirement in 2022!
Old 08-14-15, 07:31 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
I can't think of another Japanese, V8, sports sedan that was available in the US (other than GS-F). The IS F will be a modern classic in the very near future.

I plan on keeping mine for a long while.
The M56, really flew under the radar though.
Old 08-14-15, 07:39 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Infiniti M45 if that even counts
Originally Posted by pharnhyte
The M56, really flew under the radar though.
True - but not quiet sport sedans in stock form. The M56 is a pretty rare bird too. Not sure I have ever spotted on on the road.
Old 08-14-15, 07:54 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
True - but not quiet sport sedans in stock form. The M56 is a pretty rare bird too. Not sure I have ever spotted on on the road.
Just looked, you can get the Q70 with the 5.6, and rwd as well.

Nevermind, it's slow as hell.

Last edited by pharnhyte; 08-14-15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 07:55 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Few things last forever. But it all depends on the individual/owner. Personally, I still love this car for everything that it drew me towards seven and one-half years ago. I'm not the type that needs to buy cars often, so when I do find one that attracts my eye and has a significant meaning in my life, I will stick with it. It has been trouble-free for me, with fun experiences along the way thus far. Yes, it's only a V8. Yes, it's a sedan. Yes, you don't see it on the roads often. But for those that know me and what the car means to me, they know that it's not a car to me. Cars can be replaced if need be, but the bond with a particular car can never be substituted. I've seen F owners sell their Fs...only to come back to it later. I've seen it with Supras as well, and that ends up being even more difficult. Will the IS F have a similar value as the Supra? Time will tell, but it's not like we're keeping these cars for an appreciation in market value; just an appreciation for the F.
Old 08-14-15, 02:12 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FPR1939
I've had my ISF since February 2008, and plan to keep it for a while longer. It has 172,000 miles and has never been in the shop. I did pick up another play toy in April, a C7 Z06/Z07 and at 650 hp and 3500# there is a noticeable difference.
wOW 172k NICE..Im houston as well...passed a black ISF this morning on I45 prob the 4th time ive seen an F..
Old 08-14-15, 02:47 PM
dblock05
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Supra kept value really well because of its ability to mod as well. Just something to think about
Old 08-14-15, 03:56 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Few things last forever. But it all depends on the individual/owner. Personally, I still love this car for everything that it drew me towards seven and one-half years ago. I'm not the type that needs to buy cars often, so when I do find one that attracts my eye and has a significant meaning in my life, I will stick with it. It has been trouble-free for me, with fun experiences along the way thus far. Yes, it's only a V8. Yes, it's a sedan. Yes, you don't see it on the roads often. But for those that know me and what the car means to me, they know that it's not a car to me. Cars can be replaced if need be, but the bond with a particular car can never be substituted. I've seen F owners sell their Fs...only to come back to it later. I've seen it with Supras as well, and that ends up being even more difficult. Will the IS F have a similar value as the Supra? Time will tell, but it's not like we're keeping these cars for an appreciation in market value; just an appreciation for the F.
Quoted for emphasis.

I am not one to get rid of cars I truly love or to supplant them with another; hence my IS-F, three MKIV Supras and an '85 Celica Supra. I am out of space so, logically, I cannot add anything without getting rid of one of the cars I already have or creating more space. Creating more space it is . The Supras are quite rare and the IS-F is rarer still (only about 5200 in the U.S.). I don't look at cars as investments, but I think the IS-F will emulate the Supra in terms of rising values as time passes regardless of what succeeds it in the future. Lexus' first real F car and a skunk works car at that. Kinda cool when you think about it...

Ken.
Old 08-14-15, 08:01 PM
spddemon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value

The F may go up, but who knows. there was a time when the NSX was being discounted 15k because no wanted one. Know look at them! I kick my self for not jumping on one during a recession! SMH
Old 08-14-15, 08:33 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spddemon
The F may go up, but who knows. there was a time when the NSX was being discounted 15k because no wanted one. Know look at them! I kick my self for not jumping on one during a recession! SMH
The F was never discounted, had a much shorter production run than the NSX and a significantly smaller total production number as a result. Its values may not rise over time, but it has as good a chance, if not better, than any car from its era and class.

Discounts in and of themselves are not, necessarily, predictive. The Supra was discounted $10k in its last year of production and look at it now.

Ken.
Old 08-14-15, 09:28 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not anytime soon. Still love the F. And not letting it go for long while.
Old 08-15-15, 07:30 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Unless I get a major increase in income, I don't see how I could part with the isf and also upgrade at the same time without shelling out a lot of cash. Its truly an amazing machine for what it is and what you pay for it.
Old 08-16-15, 04:22 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can agree with most everyone. After purchasing in 09, and friends and clients driving everything on the market I must say Lexus has done well to separate themselves from the market. For PRICE to RELIABILTY in respect to drive-ability of the motor and drive-train and the experience it provides for being "under-powered" in compared to some of its counter parts, for me not to have switched to another vehicle at this point says alot because I never thought I would have kept the F for so long but it truly still stands out in the market 6 years later.

This was truly tested when I purchased 997.2 turbo s for 135K, last year because it was a hell of a price for the car and I have always wanted to see how far porsche has come and to be able to truly see what an reliable exotic was about. It blew me out the water to be honest it was brilliant! Wicked fast, sliding four wheel drive car and having enough torque to do so is unreal, consistent relentless power, drop top what an experience. (If you ever have the chance to experience, DRIVE A PORSCHE, GTRS are amazing as well I test drove and almost purchase one in houston and was "trained" by Paul the "GTR GURU" in houston but wasnt the same as the Turbo.) Then not be able to use power band in houston traffic really sucked haha. Honestly to jump back in the F and do a direct comparison, which technically isnt fair, but I was still quite impressed and to analyze the differences between the two the F still stood out. Also, was $95K less than the turbo, so in reality if money isnt an issue the door broadens for most consumers, but even then so I must admit quite impressed. I have a CTSV I have purchased currently, Im cleaning up and going to flip which so far the F to me is much more lively initially comparing the 8spd to the 6 spd which is degrades the driving experience these days to me even on very powerful cars respectively. I think that if Nissan would have integrated 1 more gear which many would say isnt necessary I would have been sold, there is something about having access to more gear ratios, and lively Powertrain especially in light to moderate traffic that makes the F come alive especially during fun runs, that allow the F to level the playing field because how well the 8 speed was integrated most can agree it makes it very competitive.

Last edited by StealthFF; 08-16-15 at 04:29 AM.

Quick Reply: How long will you keep your F, forever?