IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Better think twice before wrapping your car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 07:22 PM
SamIsf23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better think twice before wrapping your car

Hi CL members. Ok, I'm a try to make this short. About a little over a yr ago I got my car wrapped. Last Saturday morning I took my car to one of those do it your self car wash. When I was spraying down the car, I notice a bunch of spotty stuff on my hood, doors, trunk, and side of the roof. I was like whatever I'll just wipe it down. I used a microfiber towels to dry the car. Tried to wipe down all those spot too but, it didn't come off. On that same day, I texted the guys that wrapped my car about it. Told me to try rubbing it down with 70% alcohol. So I tried it next Sunday morning and it help a little bit but, still noticeable. Is it my fault for taking my car to a do it your self car wash? I thought about it and I remembered. When I went to pick up my car, the guy that wrapped said to me. 'There a spot on your hood and I didn't find out until I finished wrapping the car. Is not noticeable until you get closer. The batch I got (vinyl wrap) was bad.' This was the exact words he said to me. In my head I was like wth! But, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it. I thank him anyway and took the car. So is it his fault? What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Better think twice before wrapping your car-image.jpg  
Old 08-11-15, 07:49 PM
kukimonsta
Driver School Candidate

wth? he admitted to you a bad batch of vinyl? kinda lazy and irresponsible. he should have started over...
Old 08-11-15, 08:40 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about that.
Old 08-11-15, 08:49 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have him redo it if it's within his warranty period. Did you noticed any imperfections when you washed the car before the 1 year mark?
Old 08-11-15, 08:50 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

hard to tell from your pictures but the spots could be from some sort of etching into the vinyl. I wouldn't expect a bad roll of vinyl to have spots. my daily is wrapped and i've noticed some etching in the vinyl from things like mag cloride, water or even bird crap. but in your case it's a hood, very easy to re-wrap and should be covered under some kind of warranty from your installer. also most wrap manufacturer have a x year warranty covering the material.
Old 08-11-15, 11:10 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hopefully it's not as bad. I know we'll look at it closer when I see you again, but the lack of response is what is bothersome. Don't get me wrong, the wrap looked amazing, and the installer clearly didn't cut corners, but I would hope they at least start some dialogue with a remedy.

Wishing for the best, bud!
Old 08-12-15, 01:17 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That is bs, i got the roof wrapped a few years now and wash my car at do it yourself car wash all time , nothing ever happen . So you tell him to redo it period ,
Old 08-12-15, 05:31 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Wow, I hope they'll redo it based on what you're saying.

I almost think full car wrapping is obsolete these days with what can be done with plastidip. Unless someone is doing an advertisement wrap or it is just a better option based on where they live.
Old 08-12-15, 05:52 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
Wow, I hope they'll redo it based on what you're saying.

I almost think full car wrapping is obsolete these days with what can be done with plastidip. Unless someone is doing an advertisement wrap or it is just a better option based on where they live.
except Dip looks like crap in comparison to wrap.
Old 08-12-15, 08:45 AM
T4kAttack1
Rookie

Wow sounds like a really bad shop/guy that did your work! I did mine done about a year ago now. It had some peeling up the first couple days but that's given. They replaced it. Later they called me and said that they had a bad batch as well. I took my car in and any signs of peeling they ripped off and replaced. All free of charge of course.
Old 08-12-15, 09:06 AM
otbevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Biggu
If it's done by an amateur, most likely yes. Body shops are starting to do dip jobs and when done by someone who knows how to lay paint on a vehicle and with a proper gun, the dip jobs look outstanding.
Old 08-12-15, 09:11 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biggu
Agree with just flat plastidip, but with different pearls and top coats available now it can look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3a-krhPSjQ
Skip to around 9:15. Looks amazing.

I admit I haven't seen one of these in person, but I live in a pretty backwards town.
Old 08-12-15, 10:27 AM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell him to redo it Sam! should be free of charge.
Old 08-12-15, 01:55 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, sorry to see! Hope your installer helps you out appropriately

If I may ask, do you know what vinyl brand/model they used? I had my previous car wrapped with 3M for a bit, though, did not see these issues.
Old 08-12-15, 04:26 PM
SamIsf23
Driver

Originally Posted by kukimonsta
wth? he admitted to you a bad batch of vinyl? kinda lazy and irresponsible. he should have started over...
Yes he did. Thought it wasn't a big deal but, I thought wrong smh

Quick Reply: Better think twice before wrapping your car