IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

unsmooth idle after cooling system recall work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 11:03 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
93MSB and 2URGSE You guys rock !! We , as a community and a forum, are lucky to CL members like you guys.
Just paying my dues for all the help I have received over the many years. I have been a member of supraforums since before they gutted and changed the forum in 2001, lobux might remember those days. I just realized a couple months ago he is the one that came up with the famous "lance alignment" and probably some other write ups from mkiv.com. Without these forums I probably wouldn't know how to change a set of brake pads. Now I have the knowledge to do something like this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...00-thread.html

Last edited by 93MSB; 08-12-15 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 10:15 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Called the SA this morning and they say they still cant find any part that is faulty . No codes. Nothing. They keep telling " we are checking what you want checked", and told the guy I am an eye Dr not a damn mechanic. What is this?? The blind leading the blind?? Jeezus !! Its like once you are off the original warranty and have the Lexus extended warranty they dont want to replace any parts unless the car is on fire and the problem is as obvious. I know they are going to call me later to P/u the car with the same symptoms and a bill for $300 for them to look around . I told them if the tech cant figure it out then maybe we need to call an engineer.

Frustrating when the Lexus people cant fix your ISFn Lexus !!
Old 08-13-15, 11:04 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Called the SA this morning and they say they still cant find any part that is faulty . No codes. Nothing. They keep telling " we are checking what you want checked", and told the guy I am an eye Dr not a damn mechanic. What is this?? The blind leading the blind?? Jeezus !! Its like once you are off the original warranty and have the Lexus extended warranty they dont want to replace any parts unless the car is on fire and the problem is as obvious. I know they are going to call me later to P/u the car with the same symptoms and a bill for $300 for them to look around . I told them if the tech cant figure it out then maybe we need to call an engineer.

Frustrating when the Lexus people cant fix your ISFn Lexus !!
It might be time to find an independent shop/mechanic that can work on Lexus.

Don't worry about the warranty, the factory will honor it regardless of who is doing the work.

Yelp.com is your friend.
Old 08-13-15, 11:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
It might be time to find an independent shop/mechanic that can work on Lexus.

Don't worry about the warranty, the factory will honor it regardless of who is doing the work.

Yelp.com is your friend.
LOL I have to be careful with that. 3-4 years ago I had a crazy vibration issue with my LS460 and the dealer told me we cant fix it. I went off online and they axed my *** from the dealership for service. Straight up. Finally went back and we are cool but I was banished for 2 years from a certain lexus dealership.. They had my car for 23 days , put 600 miles on the car test driving it, damaged my windshield, and returned the car to me with no diagnosis. Obviously I was going to go off. Rather than help me they axed me. Lexus said they had no control over them. It was a nightmare. Even now Im trying not to step on any toes because I know if they get sick of your *** they can tell you to not come back.
Old 08-13-15, 12:15 PM
2URGSE
Racer

LOL I have to be careful with that. 3-4 years ago I had a crazy vibration issue with my LS460 and the dealer told me we cant fix it. I went off online and they axed my *** from the dealership for service. Straight up. Finally went back and we are cool but I was banished for 2 years from a certain lexus dealership.. They had my car for 23 days , put 600 miles on the car test driving it, damaged my windshield, and returned the car to me with no diagnosis. Obviously I was going to go off. Rather than help me they axed me. Lexus said they had no control over them. It was a nightmare. Even now Im trying not to step on any toes because I know if they get sick of your *** they can tell you to not come back.
Never heard of a dealership telling someone not to come back. That's rather stupid, since they will lose money.

If anything, one would not come back to a dealership, like myself and Lexus of Pleasanton, CA who scratched the inside of the wheel when they fixed a flat tire. I was really pissed off. They didn't seem to care much, just offered a free 15,000 mile service (which is oil change and inspection)

I never came back, I found myself a local mechanic who worked on Lexus.
Old 08-13-15, 12:38 PM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the A/C is cycling completely normal operation. All car lines do it. When your low Side line pressures get to a predetermined pressure the low side switch turns off the a/c components (compressor,and fans) when the pressures get back up to a predetermined pressure the ac compressor and fans cycle back on. When they cycle back on there is a large load on the charging system. When there is a large load on the charging system the idle will drop and computer(pcm) adjust the idle.

Last edited by pat1; 08-13-15 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 01:11 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the AC compressor in the Isf doesn't cycle on and off. Once it's engaged its always on and just varies the amount of Freon cycling through the system. I checked my car yesterday and this is definitely not normal.
Old 08-13-15, 03:26 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

So I also watched my idle while adjusting the A/C every way I can think of. The only time it fluctuated was when I turned the ac on an off. Can they not hear the hissing sound you said you heard by the radiator? As sophisticated as our cars are, they should be able to hookup to engine diagnostics and watch what parameters may be telling the ecu to make the DBW throttle to open and close slightly like what is looks like it's doing. And if it's not moving at all, then either fuel or ignition is changing. Then see what could make those happen.
I've diagnosed something like this but it's with a MoTeC ecu and it's easy to pinpoint what's doing what, causing idle speed hunting. First thing I'd check is sufficient battery voltage, loose cable connections can cause something like this when under load like when the ac is on.
And like what digger mentioned, low coolant level or air pockets can cause the water temp sensor to send erratic readings to the ecu, causing it to compensate by varying fuel and/or air supply to the engine. This may not be likely considering the time it goes up and down is consistent and only does it when ac is on. If I was a tech, these are a few things I'd check first. Just my .02 cents.
Old 08-13-15, 06:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE ::

The car was there for 2 days and they did the following:

1. checked all all lines for vacuum leaks
2. looked at AC system and made sure the system was full
3. cleaned MAF sensor
3. removed the RR Racing AOS and reinstalled
4. Called and FTS who supposedly said all was ok as long as it wasnt throwing any codes ( I dont know if I buy this)

So they charged me $328 for 2 hours diagnostic time and AC service and told me not to worry about it. ISFn great ..........

I told the SA that there is a small issue but apparently it wasn't enough to throw a code . I might try and take it to another dealership down the line. On the way home the car was idling fine and it only does this when the car is idling hot and its in park. When it's in drive and the brake is applied you may hear a slight variation in the rumble but thats it. Its not a huge issue , but none the less its frustrating when they tell you we can reproduce the issue but all systems check out fine and there are no diagnostic codes.

I really want to thank everyone for helping me out. I feel very lucky to be apart of such a great community of enthusiasts and Lexus freaks.

If anyone has any experience with this please let us know, and I will be sure to update .
Old 08-14-15, 05:40 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the symptoms that never returned since my AC compressor was replaced was the hunting idle disappeared. The RPM gauge still fluxuates (like normal) a few RPM's, but the eningine sounds constant now, with no noticeable change in in higher rev's.

Sorry hard to expalin....I guess what I am trying to say is there is no longer "audible RPM exhaust note change like before". This happened in park, while the engine is idling and the hot or cold weather made no difference. For years I thought this was a normal behavior of the motor.

It did that for years, then the AC compressor was changed and it stopped completely.

Digger08
Old 08-14-15, 11:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by digger08
One of the symptoms that never returned since my AC compressor was replaced was the hunting idle disappeared. The RPM gauge still fluxuates (like normal) a few RPM's, but the eningine sounds constant now, with no noticeable change in in higher rev's.

Sorry hard to expalin....I guess what I am trying to say is there is no longer "audible RPM exhaust note change like before". This happened in park, while the engine is idling and the hot or cold weather made no difference. For years I thought this was a normal behavior of the motor.

It did that for years, then the AC compressor was changed and it stopped completely.

Digger08
Digger08 thanks, man. That tells me a lot. I think we have the same issue. She was fine this morning when I got to the office but I will keep an eye on it. What finally got them to replace the AC compressor??? I am very curious as to what to watch out for.

A member on facebook told me a new compressor was only $450. If it irritates me more I will just replace it myself
Old 08-14-15, 01:00 PM
2URGSE
Racer

My friend and Master Mechanic is out on a business trip, he should be back tomorrow.

I will phone him and run this by him.
Old 08-14-15, 01:03 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Digger08 thanks, man. That tells me a lot. I think we have the same issue. She was fine this morning when I got to the office but I will keep an eye on it. What finally got them to replace the AC compressor??? I am very curious as to what to watch out for.

A member on facebook told me a new compressor was only $450. If it irritates me more I will just replace it myself
A new compressor is like $1200....and mine disintegrated and imploded......pulley shaft seperated and shot metal debris internally into the entire system.

Digger08
Old 08-14-15, 07:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
My friend and Master Mechanic is out on a business trip, he should be back tomorrow.

I will phone him and run this by him.
Thank you buddy . Very cool of you.

Originally Posted by digger08
A new compressor is like $1200....and mine disintegrated and imploded......pulley shaft seperated and shot metal debris internally into the entire system.

Digger08
Damn !! 1200 !!

It has been fine for 2 days. Fingers and toes crossed . I will see what happens tomorrow when I beat on her in the heat on the track. It was 115 today !!! Track goes live at 6 am.Should be 88-90 degrees. I honestly think it is the compressor , but even after swearing up and down that the cars AC system was full they came back and said NO. Actually I was supposed to be between 0.88 and 1.00 and mine was at .66 ( something like that lol). They recharged the system and its been fine for 2 days, but I will admit I haven't driven the car a lot or very hard....yet.

Tomorrow will be the true test because she will be hot as hell. Considering I have new front and rear rotors and pads, and want to burn these tires up because I will be ordering custom wheels, I have a feeling I'm going to push a little harder tomorrow
Old 08-14-15, 10:38 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

If they came back and said the refrigerant was low then that is exactly what was causing that. The pressure switch is there to protect the compressor when the pressure either too high or low. If the pressure is low the compressor will not come on at all or cycle rapidly like yours was doing.

Quick Reply: unsmooth idle after cooling system recall work.