IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Well, that escalated quickly! Saying goodbye to the ISF.

Old 08-08-15, 03:03 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Well, that escalated quickly! Saying goodbye to the ISF.

I should have known the minute I started seriously looking at Porsche, I'd be done.

I should have known.

Like so many little boys (and girls) that are into cars, I've always been a fan of Porsche. It's the poster that I had on my wall before you could right click "save as wallpaper." It was more of a crush than a love affair, because I was always only an admirer from afar. The hot girl in history class that I was afraid to talk to. Since I started buying my own cars rather than accepting hand-me-downs from my parents (for which I was truly grateful to have), I've always had something "sporty." RSX-S, S2000 (twice), 335i, IS-F... keeping each car for around 3 years before moving on...but I've always wanted the Porsche 911.

I still remember the day I brought my ISF home. I found the car at a broker in Georgia, had it transported to me, and could not believe it when I pulled it in to my driveway. This car has been nothing but fun over the three years that I have owned it. It was my daily for about 18 months and then more of a weekend/fun car the rest of the time. Since it's been relegated to my nice weather car, and since it doesn't have the space for us to use it as a family vehicle, my wife was the one that suggested I look at the Porsche.

Prior to this, I decided I was only going to jump in to the P-car when I could get a turbo or GT3. Well that's kind of limiting, because I'm not sure when I'm going to realistically pull the trigger on something quite that expensive as a "toy" car. I thought maybe now is the time to get my feet wet anyway, and start out with something fun and work my way up over the years.

I worked with the same guy I went to in buying my ISF--a fellow "car guy" and the sales manager at a big-box dealership here in town--and we found the right Porsche for me.

2009 Porsche 911 (997.2) with sport chrono plus, PDK, leather and some very nice mods (Tubi exhaust, H&R suspension and sways, Porsche turbo wheels, clear bra on the bumper, hood, fenders and mirror, stainless steel brake lines). I exchanged several emails with the former owner and am convinced it has been well cared for, and has seen a few track days too which actually is a plus for me knowing the type of hands it was in. The guy sold it only because he upgraded to a turbo and had all the mods done by a high-end performance shop that specializes in Porsche.

The car is every bit as fast as my ISF was with the Joe-Z exhaust. Yes, the flat six with the exhaust doesn't sound like the V8 in the ISF (more "exotic sounding") but it sounds great in its own right. I haven't really opened it up yet or put it through its paces, but this car WILL see some track time. That is where it is at home.

I'm going to miss my ISF. It was the best car I'd owned to date, and honestly, if I still needed a 4 door daily like I did when I bought it, I never would have considered anything other than maybe the GS-F down the road. I just wanted a more purpose-built full blown sports car, and this is it. I'll probably be doing no more than 5K/year on the car, so I plan on keeping it pristine... so that I can trade it in on a GT3 or Turbo in a few years.

So here it is (unwashed). The first order of business is a full on, professional detail.:

Old 08-08-15, 03:05 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

And yes, I'll have a few things to part-out on my ISF next week when I get back from a short business trip and can get pics of everything and start the FS thread. I'm selling the audio (sub & amp), my Volk SF Winnings, the Joe-Z exhaust, and the RRRacing USRS (new in box).
Old 08-08-15, 03:11 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh!!! Now were talking...congratsssss
Old 08-08-15, 03:13 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

The porsche is a great selection. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. Remember to take good care of it. Its an amazing car.
Old 08-08-15, 05:08 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, nice turbo wheels on it, looking great! How's the Tubi, it's really raspy right?
Old 08-08-15, 06:00 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Congrats on your new weekend toy!

FYI, your previous thread on wanting to get a Porsche really had me thinking. I'm primarily a Lexus guy but since my wife is looking to get a convertible in the near future and there's currently no good options being offered by Lexus, we're highly considering picking up a lightly used 981 Boxster S.

I guess I have you to thank for leading me down this future path.
Old 08-08-15, 06:46 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Big Congrats.... I hope you are planning to attend our track event on the 12th? This would be a great first track day for it:-)

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 08-08-15, 06:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. Congrats. Seems like everyone is leaving for 911s , GTRs, or CTSvs, lol
Old 08-08-15, 08:09 PM
Whteknight
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
And yes, I'll have a few things to part-out on my ISF next week when I get back from a short business trip and can get pics of everything and start the FS thread. I'm selling the audio (sub & amp), my Volk SF Winnings, the Joe-Z exhaust, and the RRRacing USRS (new in box).
Congrats!! Where in VA are you?
Old 08-08-15, 08:14 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats. Looks super great.

My buddy bought a 997 manual and we are trying to find time to give em a go. They feel as fast as one another but drastically different at the same time.
Old 08-08-15, 09:15 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
very cool. Congrats. Seems like everyone is leaving for 911s , GTRs, or CTSvs, lol
Not me, not now or ever.. Gotta stay true to the Toyota game! I raced a 911 like this (don't know of exact models/ or mods between these things) but either way I know he was very very disappointed with the outcome from 60-100 (I kept goin, was very early on my way to work). Either way, your livin the dream of any gear head by getting that dream car you've always wanted, congrats and live life a quarter mile at a time (lol)
Old 08-08-15, 09:18 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy the Porsche
Old 08-08-15, 09:23 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

ah man nice!
Old 08-08-15, 09:26 PM
JdSwiper
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice!! Enjoy
Old 08-08-15, 09:48 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A beautiful replacement for your F. Definitely enjoy your time behind the wheel of the Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, that escalated quickly! Saying goodbye to the ISF.