IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My first mod...a proper detailing job

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 03:03 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! Our black paint is really soft, but proper care and technique will go long ways. 22PLE FTW!!!
Old 08-03-15, 06:29 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did it cost ? looks amazing. I'm thinking to do details on the car, but the price for opti-pro coats and cquartz are different and not sure which it's better.
Old 08-03-15, 07:18 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Go down to the coin car wash, bring the following:

1. 5 gallon bucket with gritt guard.

2. wash mitt

3. Car shampoo

4. California jelly blade

5. Cobra micro fiber towels for drying.

I bring a separate cheap bucket for the wheels/brakes, along with the brushes for that.

I've been washing my car like that FOR YEARS, drought or no drought. Best time to do it is at night, barely anyone around, no sun (no water spots), no people standing in line.
agree with this minus the jelly blade, dry with CLEAN micro fibers only. try and use the sheeting method to get all the water off the car then it should be a simple pickup with the microfiber towel.
Old 08-03-15, 09:01 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scsisf
In my 20s, I did 95% of the mods myself and enjoyed it greatly. Now in my mid 30s, I don't always get the same kind of enjoyment I used to feel. Certain things, I don't mind paying others to do the work.

Last weekend, I installed a TRD supercharger on my Tacoma instead of paying Toyota $800-1000 for the install. I can deal with mechanical work like that, but when it comes to proper pant correction, a weekend warrior isn't going to be able to pull off the same kind of results as this.
Im not sure i would say all that

its not easy, but if you have the right equipment its not that bad, either. only problem is...they dont sell CQuartz to the public....so it has to be done professionally. when we pick up the wife's new car...im gonna decontaminate, wash, correct and then use some opti-coat gloss as protection. for a brand new car...i've been quoted $1200 and up for the CQuartz/OptiCoat treatment. thats just too much....

your car looks great, tho. love the wheels and calipers. enjoy it...
Old 08-03-15, 09:29 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scsisf
...... I can deal with mechanical work like that, but when it comes to proper pant correction, a weekend warrior isn't going to be able to pull off the same kind of results as this.
I don't agree. Its not magic. Proper pads, polishes, and a DA polisher can make for great results. FWIW I'm in the later part of my 30's This took me a Saturday. 3 passes. Meguiars 105/205/Klasse.

My phone is a potato, sorry.

My first mod...a proper detailing job-db4wj9s.jpg

My first mod...a proper detailing job-wiemec0.jpg

My first mod...a proper detailing job-mwno1dh.jpg

My first mod...a proper detailing job-aaewki8.jpg
Old 08-03-15, 07:43 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgui
I don't agree. Its not magic. Proper pads, polishes, and a DA polisher can make for great results. FWIW I'm in the later part of my 30's This took me a Saturday. 3 passes. Meguiars 105/205/Klasse.

My phone is a potato, sorry.

It's not magic, but it requires a lot of time and trial and error to get professional level results. There is definitely a fine technique to paint correction and polishing that is only learned from experience.

Sure, you can go grab some over the counter detailing products and have at it after watching some youtube videos, and it will probably come out ok. But professional detailers have hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars invested in quality tools and supplies. Not to mention the time invested in learning the craft, all to perfect the technique and their eye for good paint finish....

I am (just) a part time professional detailer and my main tool cost me upwards of $400...pads, a few hundred... polishes, another 2-3 hundred...sealants/coatings/waxes/cleaners/mf clothes/misc supplies and tools, probably another $500+. Most of those items have to be replaced regularly. Detailers that do it for a living probably have lots more invested.

Professional detailing is not cheap for a reason, it is labor intensive for one, and it cannot be rushed because every product requires a certain working time to do its job.

Obviously I am a biased detailer
Old 08-03-15, 08:10 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

looks stunning!

im getting mine machine polished and ceramic coat (bodyarmour) applied on thurs! cant wait!

all done by the guy in the vid - frank.

Old 08-04-15, 01:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Was thinking of finally having a pro detail my car as opposed to me always just wiping her down with gloss enhancer.
Old 08-05-15, 05:44 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
agree with this minus the jelly blade, dry with CLEAN micro fibers only. try and use the sheeting method to get all the water off the car then it should be a simple pickup with the microfiber towel.
Please elaborate on why you don't like the jelly blade.

I've used it many times and it's safe on the paint. It gets about 75% of the water off the car very quickly, I dry the rest with CLEAN green Cobra microfiber towels that I wash after each time I detail the car.
Old 08-05-15, 07:08 PM
justinco
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Please elaborate on why you don't like the jelly blade.

I've used it many times and it's safe on the paint. It gets about 75% of the water off the car very quickly, I dry the rest with CLEAN green Cobra microfiber towels that I wash after each time I detail the car.
It is probably safe, but the less you touch the paint the better. The sheeting method is common and what I use too, but I also blow dry with one of these little Metro Vacs (mostly the cracks/seams/trim areas).

At that point there is not much water left on the car, assuming is had a good layer of protection on it, and you just have to dab up the remaining spots.

I usually spritz my drying towels with some spray wax (Meguiar's is fine) to help the MF towels pick up the water easier.
Old 08-06-15, 03:57 PM
todd4566
Pit Crew

OP your results look fantastic. I recently had my car detailed along with a ceramic coat and the results were phenomenal.
Old 08-07-15, 11:19 AM
foxprime
Pole Position

Car looks great! Nice work there.
Old 08-08-15, 12:16 AM
Jbrandt87
Driver School Candidate

Best first mod out there! Looks great.