IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mosport(CTMP) track day review of Figs LCA bushings and RR Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 02:41 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mosport(CTMP) track day review of Figs LCA bushings and RR Separator

Was at the track on Thursday and finally got to test out both the A/O separator and the LCA bushings. While on the back straight, the F would reach speeds up to 220KPH. Before the bushing install, the car would feel very shaky while braking from those speeds. The car felt as if the rear would spin in front, that's how bad it was. Although nothing of the sort had happened, it lowers your confidence and keeps you on edge and focus on it rather than hitting the next corner. The Figs bushings totally eliminates the unsettled rear end issue. I can't count the amount of laps I had and every time the car remained very predictable and kept straight while braking. Guys who track your cars, you must install these. my comfort level on that track increased 10 fold.

On to the Air/oil separator. It definitely did it's job. One thing I found odd about it was after the first 3 sessions, each time the canister was full. I emptied the canister each time but after my forth session, it remained empty. I went out for a fifth, and it was full again. After each session, it was either full or empty and nothing in-between. After watching my rear camera footage, I still saw a puff of smoke (once), meaning it had filled and passed through. Ultimately the puff was quick and not continuous as it was before the install.

At first I thought my car was burning up to a quart of oil passing through the PCV system. Oil collected was not nearly a quart but I'm positive the car did burn some because if the canister was full after or during each session, whatever the canister couldn't collect, must be entering the intake. My friend in his corvette who was behind me confirmed the smoke was from the exhaust and not the tires. If only the can was bigger but I know space under the hood is limited and that's why its as small as it is. In my opinion the separator did not eliminate the problem totally but is much better to have than to not have at all. As I said before, I think space and location was most likely a factor when the product was developed.

From the last time I was at Mosport, my lap time decreased by 14 seconds. My best time was a 1:38. I'm hoping to get some footage online but I'm in the process of recovering the files from the front view camera as my computer crashed and corrupted the SD card.

Last edited by Compthis; 08-02-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-31-15, 08:09 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Always nice to see results from parts bought; let's you know it was money well spent.

How many mL's does the a/o separator hold? Surprised you could fill it like that.
Old 08-01-15, 09:42 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Must've been those new tires , shaving off that many seconds or you're becoming a track animal
Old 08-01-15, 11:39 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

You decreased your time by 14 seconds? That is a huge difference. With the a/o separator, did you noticed any kind of change in performance? I am considering this as my next mod.
Old 08-01-15, 11:50 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Must've been those new tires , shaving off that many seconds or you're becoming a track animal

I had the R6's last time so it wasn't the tires. It was my buddy who instructed me. He showed me different approaches to some of the corners that the other instructor insisted I take. The line he was asking me to take was too fast for the car and because of its weight, I feel like I was fighting rather than flowing with the track. I couldn't drive at the speeds I wanted to because the car wouldn't make the turns. My buddy Blair opened up a new perspective to some of the difficult turns there. I crushed it.
Old 08-01-15, 11:59 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Was at the track on Thursday and finally got to test out both the A/O separator and the LCA bushings. While on the back straight, the F would reach speeds up to 220KPH. Before the bushing install, the car would feel very shaky while braking from those speeds. The car felt as if the rear would spin in front, that's how bad it was. Although nothing of the sort had happened, it lowers your confidence and keeps you on edge and focus on it rather than hitting the next corner. The Figs bushings totally eliminates the unsettled rear end issue. I can't count the amount of laps I had and every time the car remained very predictable and kept straight while braking. Guys who track your cars, you must install these. my comfort level on that track increased 10 fold.

On to the Air/oil separator. It definitely did it's job. One thing I found odd about it was after the first 3 sessions, each time the canister was full. I emptied the canister each time but after my forth session, it remained empty. I went out for a fifth, and it was full again. After each session, it was either full or empty and nothing in-between. After watching my rear camera footage, I still saw a puff of smoke (once), meaning it had filled and passed through. Ultimately the puff was quick and not continuous as it was before the install.

At first I thought my car was burning up to a quart of oil passing through the PCV system. Oil collected was not nearly a quart but I'm positive the car did burn some because if the canister was full after or during each session, whatever the canister couldn't collect, must be entering the intake. My friend in his corvette who was behind me confirmed the smoke was from the exhaust and not the tires. If only the can was bigger but I know space under the hood is limited and that's why its as small as it is. In my opinion the separator did not eliminate the problem totally but is much better to have than to not have at all. As I said before, I think space and location was most likely a factor when the product was developed.

From the last time I was at Mosport, my lap time decreased by 14 seconds. My best time was a 1:38. I'm hoping to get some footage online but I'm in the process of recovering the files from the front view camera as my computer crashed and corrupted the SD card.

Nice to see all that oil in the can, not in your intake! BTW, we are sponsoring a track day at New Jersey Motorsports Park on September 12th... I know its a long drive for you but it would be great to see you out there!

I would like for everyone using our AOS to accumulate the oil in one big jug to see how much we gather by the end of the trackday. I bet its enough to do a complete oil change on a Honda:-)

-Rafi
Attached Thumbnails Mosport(CTMP) track day review of Figs LCA bushings and RR Separator-trackday-lexus.jpg  
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 08-01-15, 05:14 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by idoke1
You decreased your time by 14 seconds? That is a huge difference. With the a/o separator, did you noticed any kind of change in performance? I am considering this as my next mod.
It was a combination of my friends instruction, bushings and the separator, in that order.
Old 08-02-15, 07:49 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Updated with video
Old 08-03-15, 04:07 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Good to hear. These bushings have been making a significant difference for the past 6 years certainly give control back at high speed and under heavy braking.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 08-03-15, 05:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is great news. Happy to see these upgraded bushing work and the AO separator is doing its job. I am eager to see what happens at my next track day. I haven't checked my canister in a week because the first week showed very little at the bottom after a week of street driving, but there was something there. I don't want to say its great that the canister is full but good to see the issue can be remedied. As far as size I think the location is tight. Even the way it is I have to finagle the hoses around it and reinstalling the canister needs to be done carefully as well
Old 08-03-15, 06:48 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That track looks like a lot of fun! Man I wish I could make it up to that event. I'm lucky to have another F owner to run track days with here, but it would be a blast to do it with all F's!
Old 08-03-15, 07:25 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZaxF
That track looks like a lot of fun! Man I wish I could make it up to that event. I'm lucky to have another F owner to run track days with here, but it would be a blast to do it with all F's!
The next time JRP is hosting an event there is September 8th, 2015. Jump in the F and make a road trip out of it. You won't regret it. Mosport(CTMP) is the fastest track in North America. I will be attending along with some friends.

Last edited by Compthis; 08-03-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 09:08 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
The next time JRP is hosting an event there is September 8th, 2015. Jump in the F and make a road trip out of it. You won't regret it. Mosport(CTMP) is the fastest track in North America. I will be attending along with some friends.
It's only a 15 hour drive...

Which actually wouldn't be bad if the wife wasn't pregnant, I could probably make the trip otherwise. Maybe next year some time!

Last edited by ZaxF; 08-04-15 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Track looked really nice. Great run on that Lotus. Ran him down and passed like a boss. Thanks for sharing the video