IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Talk me out of this guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 11:32 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Talk me out of this guys...

I'm one of the biggest ISF fans you guys could meet. I've been a very active member of this forum since joining and have met most of the guys on the East Coast. I could be content keeping my ISF for many more years, and in fact may do that anyway, but my wife has put a "bug" in my ear and now I'm considering fulfilling an old childhood dream of mine to get a Porsche.

It's all her fault, really.

She likes the ISF almost as much as I do, but sort of out of the blue the other day she says "ever thought about selling/trading it in on a Porsche? You should do it." Well at first I scoffed at the idea... but after looking up some prices and considering the budget I am willing to spend, it really is attainable.

I'm looking almost exclusively at the 997.2 Carrera with Sports Chrono and PDK. Something in the 2010-2012 range. Part of the deal is that since the wife and I have our own daily drivers, me with the Tundra and her with the Highlander, we'd be looking for something that we'd sort of share as a fun 3rd car. So with that, it has to be an auto... but I'm cool with that. The 911 Turbo is out of reach, and though I could get a Carrera S with a little more mileage and a little older, the plain 'ole 911 with sports chrono is about the same straight line performance as an ISF (Car and Driver ran the 0-60 in 4.1 and quarter in 12.5 on the base 997.2 with PDK and sports chrono package). Throw in the handling and driver's feel, and I don't necessarily think I'll need any more than the base 911.

My ISF is a car that sees probably 6K miles a year now and the Porsche would be the same. So while I know reliability will never quite equal the ISF and maintenance is more, I don't think we're talking a crazy difference. I do not need full rear seats, so the 4 door factor isn't important either.

So tell me why this is a bad idea. Please.
Old 07-30-15, 11:43 AM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm one of the biggest ISF fans you guys could meet. I've been a very active member of this forum since joining and have met most of the guys on the East Coast. I could be content keeping my ISF for many more years, and in fact may do that anyway, but my wife has put a "bug" in my ear and now I'm considering fulfilling an old childhood dream of mine to get a Porsche.

It's all her fault, really.

She likes the ISF almost as much as I do, but sort of out of the blue the other day she says "ever thought about selling/trading it in on a Porsche? You should do it." Well at first I scoffed at the idea... but after looking up some prices and considering the budget I am willing to spend, it really is attainable.

I'm looking almost exclusively at the 997.2 Carrera with Sports Chrono and PDK. Something in the 2010-2012 range. Part of the deal is that since the wife and I have our own daily drivers, me with the Tundra and her with the Highlander, we'd be looking for something that we'd sort of share as a fun 3rd car. So with that, it has to be an auto... but I'm cool with that. The 911 Turbo is out of reach, and though I could get a Carrera S with a little more mileage and a little older, the plain 'ole 911 with sports chrono is about the same straight line performance as an ISF (Car and Driver ran the 0-60 in 4.1 and quarter in 12.5 on the base 997.2 with PDK and sports chrono package). Throw in the handling and driver's feel, and I don't necessarily think I'll need any more than the base 911.

My ISF is a car that sees probably 6K miles a year now and the Porsche would be the same. So while I know reliability will never quite equal the ISF and maintenance is more, I don't think we're talking a crazy difference. I do not need full rear seats, so the 4 door factor isn't important either.

So tell me why this is a bad idea. Please.
I don't think it's a bad idea at all. A Porsche is a better car period. I visited Porsche and Mercedes facilities in Germany a month ago and was blown away by the engineering. From the dealerships to the service bays everything is pristine. It is on a whole new level. I don't think Lexus "luxury" or engineering is on the same level, not even close. I like my ISF but have slowly started to dislike the car in ways that I probably would get roasted on the forum for saying but I have several gripes. In terms of the carrera it is light weight and fun to rev out, the powerband is way more usable than the ISF.

I looked at the new C63 S the other day and was completely impressed by the car. It was on a whole new level. I will probably be getting one in the next 6-8 months. I love my 2013 Porsche Cayenne turbo.. I am a Porsche fan. If I were you I would consider the trade especially since carrera hold value very well.
Old 07-30-15, 11:52 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dupshaw123
A Porsche is a better car period.
How is it better exactly? Better at what?

As for the OP, it's not really a matter of a better car. It is just a different car altogether.

As with all cars, I recommend you test drive it and research it out so you know what you're getting into.

Old 07-30-15, 12:07 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
She likes the ISF almost as much as I do, but sort of out of the blue the other day she says "ever thought about selling/trading it in on a Porsche? You should do it."
Nice! My wife would be more likely to make a comment like this: "ever thought about selling/trading it in on an econo box? You should do it & put the rest of the money in the bank"

Originally Posted by vbb
....and I don't necessarily think I'll need any more than the base 911..
Famous last words.

In all seriousness, it sounds like a good move if you find the right Porsche for you at a good price. If I could swing the finances for a late model Turbo S, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat!

-Mike
Old 07-30-15, 12:09 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
How is it better exactly? Better at what?

As for the OP, it's not really a matter of a better car. It is just a different car altogether.

As with all cars, I recommend you test drive it and research it out so you know what you're getting into.

Better build quality. Better "fun" car (but that is subjective). Better handling. More balanced. Nicer interior. It is a 100k car so obviously It is not at the same level. I have driven carrera s and cayman s on roads spirited and some track time and I think it is more fun to drive around it is not a 4 door heavy sedan so that is to be expected. Also PDK is better than our Automatic direct shift. The fact that the car is smaller allows you to take tighter lines on roads and track.

In my opinion you also you don't have to deal with:
-Radiators blowing up
-Leaking water pumps
-Faulty nav screens
-Radiator fans breaking
-Unknowlegeable Lexus service advisors

Maybe I just am fed up. But hey it's a personal opinion.
Old 07-30-15, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

in one word: do it. i still remember the day my wife told me to just get a car i wanted, and the nsx has been in my garage since.

anyway, imho i would still try to get a carrera s, i just think it's a better car
Old 07-30-15, 12:15 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

If your ISF is your "fun" weekend car, then I would absolutely get a Porsche. Don't get me wrong, I love my ISF but I definitely don't consider it a fun weekend car (flame suit on). There are many other cars that enhance the overall driving experience much, much more than an ISF (Porsche being one of them). Please note that I do not currently own a Porsche but I have driven a couple.
Old 07-30-15, 12:26 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Take a mortgage out on your house. Buy a 991 Turbo S and keep the ISF.

In all seriousness, buy the Porsche, you won't regret it. The P-car is a PERFECT toy car!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-30-15, 12:27 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's not a bad idea. Just to have a wife who is interested in performance cars makes this a win.

My buddy has a 997.2 and had a cracked cylinder and HPFP that needed replacing (and that was within the first 10k miles), but he still loves it. The PDK is definitely on par in terms of shifting as with the IS F. It's a very attractive car, loads of fun, and while reliability isn't on par, Porsche owners do enjoy the car and drive them pretty darn hard. That is to say the car won't be trouble-free, just like with any car, but it all depends on your threshold of pain when it comes to whipping out the wallet to fix items or even deal with maintenance work.

The car note would be somewhat of a pain for me. Not in terms of cost, but just to have another expense. I already told mine that, while I won't sell the F, I do want a fun coupe to play with. But having paid off the car for almost seven years, I am a bit complacent with not having any debt for the time being. I do get what you're saying about being on the fence about getting a different car. As a sport sedan, there aren't too many options that can trump what the IS F offers. But if you do want something more engaging and more of a driver's car, then without hesitation you have to go for it....for the wife and your dream realized.

Best of luck!
Old 07-30-15, 12:36 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

My buddy has a 997.2 and had a cracked cylinder and HPFP that needed replacing (and that was within the first 10k miles), but he still loves it. The PDK is definitely on par in terms of shifting as with the IS F. It's a very attractive car, loads of fun, and while reliability isn't on par, Porsche owners do enjoy the car and drive them pretty darn hard. That is to say the car won't be trouble-free, just like with any car, but it all depends on your threshold of pain when it comes to whipping out the wallet to fix items or even deal with maintenance work.

The car note would be somewhat of a pain for me. Not in terms of cost, but just to have another expense. I already told mine that, while I won't sell the F, I do want a fun coupe to play with. But having paid off the car for almost seven years, I am a bit complacent with not having any debt for the time being. I do get what you're saying about being on the fence about getting a different car. As a sport sedan, there aren't too many options that can trump what the IS F offers. But if you do want something more engaging and more of a driver's car, then without hesitation you have to go for it....for the wife and your dream realized.

Best of luck!
Sounds like the BMW story all over again.

Either lease it or be prepared to ditch it when the warranty is over.
Old 07-30-15, 12:36 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a toy car for sure, I would drive one and see how you like it. I found them to be a little cramped inside but I am a bigger guy... I was actually recently looking at an 80s 911 convertible again something I dreamed about as a kid.
Old 07-30-15, 12:39 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I am in a similar position, but my limiting factor is that it would have to be a DD.
Old 07-30-15, 12:53 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you only live once, I'd say go for it. I might end up in the same situation later on but actually get a 911
Old 07-30-15, 12:59 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

What I tell everyone. Happy wife happy life!!

She obviously wants you to get one and she is telling you in a non-direct way. If you buy it see what you can get from her
Old 07-30-15, 01:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its a great step up. I will admit I have been on the track with the exact car you are mentioning and I could easiliy hang. His corner exit was better but I could gain on him on the straights.

Your wife sounds like mine. LOL She still trying to push me to get a GTR. LOL She was telling yesterday to order new wheels for my car also for my bday. Im the one holding back. We are lucky

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-31-15 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of this guys...