Road Atlanta up next

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 06:47 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Road Atlanta up next

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for the heads up. I was telling my wife that the CL vendors are all pretty solid. Still a little nervous. Gotta decide between the Weds, Forgestar, or even the new line of TSW forged wheels. Tempted to go with 20s, but I know 19 will feel a little better. I am looking for width of the contact patch and not just the larger wheel diameter
20s are ok for daily if you keep your stocks for the track. I did find that they were not as forgiving with the smaller sidewall and stiffer suspension on the isf vs the GS. That's actually why I sold them after getting the F.

They did look sharp though....
Attached Thumbnails Road Atlanta up next-photo494.jpg  
Old 08-02-15, 07:39 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for sharing the videos , RA is a blast I have not been on it with the F yet but it was sure a good time in the Supra !
Old 08-03-15, 11:58 AM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Thanks buddy. I loved this track. Barber is a close second to Road Atlanta though.

My SA55M are 19x8.5 +38 and 19x9.5 +38 running 245/35 275/30. My PSS are toast so I might try a square 265/35 on the next set. Torxuvin ran a square 255 that day and was pleased with the performance vs a staggered set up. Figs is running square on his new BCs also, so just a thought as you go to buy new wheels. I think my next set of tires might be something between the PSS and a slick. Don't think I'm ready for full on slicks but I could have used some more grip. Partly could be because the PSS are spent and got greasy at the end of the day though.

I actually recorded video with the gopro and then overlay the info from Harry's. It was a pain in the **** to figure out and the timing is a little off, but you get the idea.
Hey Zach, You look like you are using alot more of the track when we went to AMP, good job, using all the track at RA is important since you can build alot of speed there. As for tires I agree,I wouldn't jump from a PSS to a full R-comp set-up. Get a true dedicated track use street tire like a BS RE-71R, Yoko AD08, HK RS3. I vouch for the RE-71R, probably the best in the rain and linear break away.
Old 08-03-15, 12:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Very nice driving, thanks for sharing!

You'll need to get up to VIR next. One of the best on the east coast.

Originally Posted by Piston1047
Hey Zach, You look like you are using alot more of the track when we went to AMP, good job, using all the track at RA is important since you can build alot of speed there. As for tires I agree,I wouldn't jump from a PSS to a full R-comp set-up. Get a true dedicated track use street tire like a BS RE-71R, Yoko AD08, HK RS3. I vouch for the RE-71R, probably the best in the rain and linear break away.
+1, don't go to a super-sticky track only tire right away. You'll learn a ton more about car control and be a better driver if you're able to first spend a couple of years on competent street tires.
Old 08-03-15, 07:07 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Thanks Dave and Chase for the recommendations! I've got to post one more video for you all. Meanstreak recorded this fly by on the back straight. There's a ZL1 in front of me that sounds great, until I pass the camera...haha. Sikky & JoeZ FTW!

https://youtu.be/s5q9GgHrTZo

ISF Fly-by
Old 08-06-15, 08:45 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I can vouch for that! ZaxF and Torxuvin represented!

Group shot:
Made the cut. Score. Lol

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
VERY VERY COOL !! Great driving man. The car sounds great and the track looks awesome. Those sweepers and high speed chicanes look badass. Balancing the car through a high speed corner like that is more rewarding and needs good feel for the balance and grip of the car as it goes through. I am dying to get out there. Thanks for sharing this video buddy. This helps inspire even the biggest track junkies like myself. Im sure many will love watching these videos. I really enjoyed watching them. I am thinking of trying out Chukwalla and heading to Cali for some different tracks. I am getting too used to the 4 I have out here.

Bday coming up and I will be ordering some forged wheels . I was looking at the wedsportSa55. I was wondering what are your wheel specs and tires sizes? thanks in advance buddy

Also how did you get your phone mounted so stable for Harry lap timer. I used a mount I got on amazon and the video looked like it was shot by a break dancing epileptic in a massage chair

Do you use the carbotech pads on the street as well. Im not a DIY guy so I am looking for more stopping ability and heat tolerance but dont want the damn noise at every stop. In that case I will keep eating oem pads lol. Im ordering a complete brake set front and rear pads, and rotors for $900 on amazon ( all oem parts). I need some brake parts in the arsenal so when I go into the braking zones I just dont give a damn lol. Its a great feeling being to push the car as hard as it can be pushed and knowing replacement parts are waiting. I feel like a real race driver. My last track day I was a little easy on the brakes. Now Ill be going deep into those zones.lol
I love my Sa55Ms. They are a square 19x10 +43 set up. They are more aggressive than I would prefer to get optimal tire sizes. I believe the front should ideally be a 9.5 and the rear should have a less aggressive offset. Right now I have 255 front and 265 rear from the previous owner. I will try to bump to 265 or 275 square when I get the next set though.

FWIW I still use the stock wheels on track. I liked the 255 square set up more with them. I was also running much higher PSI in the front. It was a nice change though after having so much understeer with the stock 225s on other tracks. I am trying not to beat these weds up too much. Eventually I will pick up a 18" set or a dedicated track car.

Originally Posted by ZaxF
Thanks Dave and Chase for the recommendations! I've got to post one more video for you all. Meanstreak recorded this fly by on the back straight. There's a ZL1 in front of me that sounds great, until I pass the camera...haha. Sikky & JoeZ FTW!

https://youtu.be/s5q9GgHrTZo

ISF Fly-by
Nice. I think I squeezed in the back there. Cool video. Yeah. Full exhaust is LOUD.

Harry's lap timer seems to be fantastic. I tried race chrono and had no luck. Kept recording the session as 1 lap. Maybe because i didn't have the phone mounted on anything? I haven't gotten around to uploading other sessions than this one.

Last edited by torxuvin; 08-06-15 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 09:23 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Made the cut. Score. Lol
Dude... you were at the top of the leaderboard! Zach had to hunker down on those Penskes to catch up... but seriously I was very impressed with both of the "bumblebees" Now just waiting for my Christmas in August to show up so I can see how slow I am...
Old 08-06-15, 09:42 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Dude... you were at the top of the leaderboard! Zach had to hunker down on those Penskes to catch up... but seriously I was very impressed with both of the "bumblebees" Now just waiting for my Christmas in August to show up so I can see how slow I am...
Thanks. Next time you are more than welcome to ride along with me too. I will be more prepared with some kind of motion sickness pill to see if it helps. One of these days I'm going to get around to using an actual set of track pads. The stop techs were fine out there, but it made me nervous. I was most certainly holding back in the braking zones from what I think the car could really do.

FWIW Lobux, as much as the bushings help with braking consistency, there are still issues that crop up with the back end getting loose. Not sure if ZaxF was experiencing that on the coilovers. His car does feel noticeably more planted.

If anyone doubted the benefits of the LSD, I would catch up in some of the corners and in the braking zones where ZaxF would just walk away on me all day long coming out of 5, 7, and 10B. There are a few other differences such as tire compound, size, headers, but still. I could tell he could put the power down sooner. It's something I would like to get eventually.
Old 08-06-15, 10:57 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by torxuvin
The stop techs were fine out there, but it made me nervous. I was most certainly holding back in the braking zones from what I think the car could really do.
I was going to ask you about those... I recently switched to Bosch QuietCast Ceramics. They are good for street use (no noise, very little dust) but no way I"m going to put those on the track even as slow noob... I'm on the hunt for something that will give me full confidence but not break the bank. Carbotechs seem to be the way to go just hoping to find a decent deal or maybe someone parting out with a couple of track days left on them. Darbs242 has some XP20s but that's more than I need and I hear they are bad on rotors also. Any other suggestions for decent HPDE novice track pad?
Old 08-06-15, 11:06 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

I was going to ask you about those... I recently switched to Bosch QuietCast Ceramics. They are good for street use (no noise, very little dust) but no way I"m going to put those on the track even as slow noob... I'm on the hunt for something that will give me full confidence but not break the bank. Carbotechs seem to be the way to go just hoping to find a decent deal or maybe someone parting out with a couple of track days left on them. Darbs242 has some XP20s but that's more than I need and I hear they are bad on rotors also. Any other suggestions for decent HPDE novice track pad?
Hawk makes track pads as well that I have heard good things about. I forget which one though. Maybe it was the HP+. I hadn't planned to do either of my track days last month so I wasn't prepared for that yet. FWIW you would probably be fine the first time out. Most first timers are slow out there. I think the xp20s may be overkill. Doesn't figs recommend xp12s or xp14s? Zach? Which ones were you running?
Old 08-06-15, 11:35 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

I think Zach's running XP12s / 10s which seems to be a very popular combination and I'm leaning that way although I know I don't really need it out of the gate. It's more about having the confidence that they are there if you do need them. Just one less thing on my mind so I can focus on the right things. I looked up some prices and they are not as bad as I was thinking. I'll check out the Hawks also.
Old 08-06-15, 12:52 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

I think Zach's running XP12s / 10s which seems to be a very popular combination and I'm leaning that way although I know I don't really need it out of the gate. It's more about having the confidence that they are there if you do need them. Just one less thing on my mind so I can focus on the right things. I looked up some prices and they are not as bad as I was thinking. I'll check out the Hawks also.
Yep, 12 front 10 rear, with motul 660 RBF. Must upgrade the brake fluid with a track pad, they get HOT and will boil the OEM fluid faster, which = no brakes at all! I've heard good feedback on the Hawk pads as well, I think you'll feel good with either of them!
Old 08-06-15, 01:09 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a fan of Hawk pads, I have been tracking and racing with them for years. I have run their HP+, HP blue, HP black and DTC60 compunds in various cars through the years. My race car has DTC60's on it now and they are great, I have put about 40 hours of race time on them and they are still above 50%. my G35 ran HP+ for the street and DTC60 for the track. They make the DT60 for the ISF fronts but for the rears you can get HP+. The beauty about the DTC60 pad is that it is a endurance race pad, which means it can take track temps but is also easy on your rotors and they don't wear down as fast as some other race pads. I have also driven them on the street and they actually didn't squeal. Also they are cheaper than the carbotechs. Another option is to go with the stoptech pads, they are super cheap and they are not that bad for a novice or even an expert who doesn't mind being easy on the brakes. Torxuvin (cam) is a fan of the stoptechs.
Old 08-06-15, 01:55 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I am jealous! It's a little far from me but I will get out there one day. I am always happy to see more IS-F guys get out to the track and have a good time and it certainly looks like you were in your videos! RA can be brutal on brakes and I'm curious how those XP12/10 held up throughout the day.

As far as tires go I think you should take a look into the EHP street category (RE-11, AD08R, R-S3 etc.) They will be a good bit less expensive than some more aggressive streetable r-comps (pirelli corsa or trofeo or Michelin PSC2) and will hold up to track use much better than any max or UHP summer tire like a Michelin PSS or Bridgestone S04 on the track in terms of heat tolerance and overall tread life

-Matt M.
Old 08-06-15, 02:40 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I'm a fan of Hawk pads, I have been tracking and racing with them for years. I have run their HP+, HP blue, HP black and DTC60 compunds in various cars through the years. My race car has DTC60's on it now and they are great, I have put about 40 hours of race time on them and they are still above 50%. my G35 ran HP+ for the street and DTC60 for the track. They make the DT60 for the ISF fronts but for the rears you can get HP+. The beauty about the DTC60 pad is that it is a endurance race pad, which means it can take track temps but is also easy on your rotors and they don't wear down as fast as some other race pads. I have also driven them on the street and they actually didn't squeal. Also they are cheaper than the carbotechs. Another option is to go with the stoptech pads, they are super cheap and they are not that bad for a novice or even an expert who doesn't mind being easy on the brakes. Torxuvin (cam) is a fan of the stoptechs.
Don't feel the need to change what is currently working for you but know there are other options out there as well The only Hawk compounds I've had any success with are DTC-70 and 60 but aside from the cost I have no desire to go back after exploring other options. As of right now Project Mu Club Racer has been my favorite overall track compound. I leave it in on my car since the dust and noise isn't bad at all on the street either (they are officially considered a track only pad). Carbotech XP10 or XP12 is a great front option if locking or excessive ABS intervention is an issue since the initial bite is strong but very smooth and they are so easy to modulate. We have also been doing some testing on Endless ME20 and are thrilled with the results on track but we are trying to figure out how to keep them quiet on the street in-between events.

Since the IS-F is such a heavy and powerful car you need to pay a little more attention to brakes. If you are partial to Hawk I would for sure use the DTC-70 up front as I don't believe the 60s would be up to the task. I could not advise using HP+ in the rear in either case though. DTC60/70 and HP+ are too unmatched in terms of their torque curve with temperature to have a balanced braking system on track. There is too large of a variance in terms of initial bite, overall torque output but most importantly in this case, heat tolerance. On a track at elevated temps the rears will give up (fade) well before the fronts. You don't notice it as much because the front pads are doing their job but as you continue to drive and put additional heat into the brakes the rears do less and less which means the fronts have to do more and more. This imbalance causes the front pads to be grossly overworked/overheated and will eventually lead to front pad/rotor temps much higher than they should be which means higher chance of fade, pad deposits, shorter pad and rotor life and longer stopping distances/less effective brakes/less confidence.

On this car I would recommend the following depending on the car setup, tires and driver:

Most people who like a safer setup with a heavier front bias will like
Carbotech XP20 / XP12
Carbotech XP12 / XP10
Project Mu Club Racer / Carbotech XP10
Endless N35S or N05U / ME20

Advanced level drivers who like a little more rotation under trail braking will like
Project Mu Club Racer front and rear
Carbotech XP12 or XP20 front and rear
Endless N35S, N05U or ME20 front and rear

As others have mentioned get a good fluid too. PFC RH665, Endless RF-650, Motul RBF660 and Project Mu G-Four 335 are our favorites.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 08-06-15 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta up next