Lost power during nitrous pass

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 04:41 PM
abohler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost power during nitrous pass

Hi All,

Was doing nitrous passes the other day and all of a sudden the car started to lose power. I let off the gas and the rpm's got lower and lower, until I cut the car off. Let the car sit for a bit and tried to restart. Car will turn over but will not start. Threw two odes p0300 random misfire, and p0101 mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance problem. I also smelled slight burning for just a second. I am thinking it has to be MAF or a burned up plug. Has to be air, spark or fuel related. Any of the nitrous guys out there ever run into anything like this? Want to eliminate the small things first. Hoping there isn't a larger issue.
Old 07-26-15, 04:46 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

How many miles do you have on the plugs? Curious if you run colder plugs when running nitrous?
Old 07-26-15, 07:02 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

If you had sold me the exhaust and sold the car you wouldn't have had this problem

But in all seriousness hope you don't have any major problems.
Old 07-27-15, 10:01 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
How many miles do you have on the plugs? Curious if you run colder plugs when running nitrous?
Yeah, run a degree colder plugs, and there are probably only a couple thousand miles on the plugs.
Old 07-27-15, 11:25 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have any experienced in nitrous but i would recheck the spark plugs.
Old 07-27-15, 11:26 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a MAF issue. Where is your N20 nozzle located in relation to MAF?
Old 07-27-15, 06:56 PM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
Sounds like a MAF issue. Where is your N20 nozzle located in relation to MAF?
MAF is upstream from nitrous nozzle. Tapped intake just before throttle body, but the MAF is right after the air box.
Old 08-04-15, 01:39 PM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

What happened?
Old 08-06-15, 08:13 AM
abohler
Driver

So took the car to my mechanic and they said it was a nitrous backfire. Blew off two vacuum hoses and need to replace plugs. Leak down and compression tests show no issues with the bottom half, but they think a valve got stuck open. Either a broken rocker, valve stem, or something. Will know more this week.
Old 08-07-15, 04:52 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you need any parts, I have a good clean low mileage F engine here. I will part it.
Old 08-11-15, 10:30 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by Jowett
If you need any parts, I have a good clean low mileage F engine here. I will part it.
Thanks. Will let you know. Appreciate the help.
Old 09-16-15, 09:47 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by abohler
Thanks. Will let you know. Appreciate the help.
Any updates on the mishap
Old 09-17-15, 06:01 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Just when I thought nitrous was relatively safe on the F haha.

Any more details on your setup, and how this might have happened? Just a fluke thing or what?
Old 09-17-15, 07:45 AM
Bakewalk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFM
Just when I thought nitrous was relatively safe on the F haha.

Any more details on your setup, and how this might have happened? Just a fluke thing or what?
Nitrous is relatively safe on the F.

Did you happen to run out of Nitrous or run the bottle very low? Check your bottle and see how full it is because if it wasn't getting enough nitrous with your extra fuel being dumped in, that could be your problem. When I had a misfire and had the same code you did, I realized that I was driving around with my system engaged but my bottles were closed. Every time I hit WOT, it was dumping more fuel into my intake but no Nitrous which caused a misfire in cylinder 8. This also lead to a loss of power and a shut down just like you had with the check engine light and the same code. I make sure to check my nitrous engage switch every time I enter the car now, I have It set where my knee can hit the switch... oh well. Its on a progressive controller so it only engages on WOT.
Old 09-17-15, 09:27 AM
abohler
Driver

Originally Posted by Bakewalk
Nitrous is relatively safe on the F.

Did you happen to run out of Nitrous or run the bottle very low? Check your bottle and see how full it is because if it wasn't getting enough nitrous with your extra fuel being dumped in, that could be your problem. When I had a misfire and had the same code you did, I realized that I was driving around with my system engaged but my bottles were closed. Every time I hit WOT, it was dumping more fuel into my intake but no Nitrous which caused a misfire in cylinder 8. This also lead to a loss of power and a shut down just like you had with the check engine light and the same code. I make sure to check my nitrous engage switch every time I enter the car now, I have It set where my knee can hit the switch... oh well. Its on a progressive controller so it only engages on WOT.
This is identical to what happened to me. Cylinder 8 went out. Same codes. Not 100% sure why, may have been too much fuel and no nitrous. Did forget to open the bottle once a while ago and got a lot of 93 and C16 all at once and felt what may have been compression loss or a floating valve. car sputtered but was ok. This time around had nitrous and the bottle was open, as soon as the WOT and RPM window hit, kaboom! Lost the motor. Bent 4 rods, scored the sleeve and lost a piston. Block was more expensive than a whole motor from a wrecking yard. Going to be returning the F to stock and selling. I love the car, hate that there is no tuning. I unfortunately have had a lot of problems with my F. Nav screen, water pump, fuel lines, 02's not resetting, issues with washer reservoir, nitrous issues. This car has been in and out of the shop for the last year. I am finally going to bow out on the F and find something tuneable.

Quick Reply: Lost power during nitrous pass