First track day with the ISF (NCM Motorsports Park) - Club Lexus Forums

Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS F (2008-2014)

First track day with the ISF (NCM Motorsports Park)

Old 07-23-15, 07:48 AM   #1
lexicon72
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default First track day with the ISF (NCM Motorsports Park)

Well, I had my first track ever in my car down in Bowling Green, KY at the National Corvette Museum (NCM) Motorsports Park.
I was a nervous wreck but got more comfortable as the day progressed.
The course is fairly technical with two spots to get up to about 110mph.

Below are the links. Session 3 link does not want to work on the work computer (worked fine on my phone though).
Videos are about 15 minutes long and may take some time to load up.

Session 2:
This has some action with a few cars on the track with me (various Corvettes, Porsches, etc.)
For those wanting some action....
At about the 8:00 minute mark, I had a small spin out.
At about the 10:40 minute mark, the Corvette in front of me spins out.

Session 3:
As I said, this link may or may not work. No other cars on the track for awhile.
Got in about 3 nice and fast laps til the car's oil temperature just about hit the max and the brakes were toast.
Took it easy after that.

Lots of fun though.....highly recommend to those wanting to try something new!
One more thing checked off the bucket list.
Old 07-23-15, 09:57 AM   #2
teamcalvin
Pole Position

nice man! Wish i had a track around here to test my F..

Bagged Lexus ISF Mercury Metallic

WALD | AIRZENITH | EMOTIONS CR2 | ISS QES | APEXI | FOSGATE | SIKKY | AIRLIFT V2
teamcalvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 11:18 AM   #3
lexicon72
Driver School Candidate

Yep...drove about 3.5 hours to get there. Mid-Ohio is about 2 hours from me so not too bad.
Track Night in America website lists August 11 event at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX which might be near you.
Old 07-23-15, 11:54 AM   #4
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

RIGHT ON !! Very cool. Glad we got another F on the track. Man you were pushing that thing right out of the gate. I love it. Had those tires squealing haha . Or as my instructor say " they are talking to you " LOL. Thanks for sharing this. Its addictive. Was about to do my 8th track day in 13 months last week but the weather man couldn't predict the weather accuratley and screwed me .

Dude that's dedication to drive that far to hit the track. I did a similar 3.5 hour drive to get to INDE motor sports ranch. Had to hit all the tracks in the state ( my goal ) so I did the drive and rented a hotel room. I want to go back but the drive there is a killer and you don't tend to push as hard when the track is that far away from home

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS/ PTS Joe Z exhaust/ RR Racing A/O separator and USRS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles to my home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-23-15 at 10:00 PM.
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 04:00 PM   #5
lexicon72
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
RIGHT ON !! Very cool. Glad we got another F on the track. Man you were pushing that thing right out of the gate. I love it. Had those tires squealing haha . Or as my instructor say " they are talking to you " LOL. Thanks for sharing this. Its addictive. Was about to do my 8th track day in 13 months last wee but the weather man could predict the weather accuratley and screwed me .

Dude thats dedication to drive that far to hit the track. I did a similar 3.5 hour drive to get to INDE motor sports ranch. Had to hit all the tracks in the state ( my goal ) so I did the drive and rented a hotel room. I want to go back but the drive there is a killer and you dont tend to push as hard when the track is that far away from home
Yep. Was driving on high performance all seasons which did OK. But I wish I had more traction.
Definitely babied the car home.
lexicon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 05:02 PM   #6
iH8RICERZ
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (2)

Send a message via AIM to iH8RICERZ

Would love to get my F out on the track one day... for NOOB or first time track goers, traction control on or off?
iH8RICERZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 06:36 PM   #7
lexicon72
Driver School Candidate

I recommend trac control on for the first time. It wasn't too intrusive and my spin out could have been a lot worse had it been off.
Old 07-23-15, 10:14 PM   #8
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon72 View Post
Yep. Was driving on high performance all seasons which did OK. But I wish I had more traction.
Definitely babied the car home.
Damn !! If it held that well with A/S tires that's pretty solid. I love my PSS but I hate the way they wear. Its insane how fast the wear. I did one track day and 3k miles and I'm already about 40% down on my rears.

I was telling my buddy when I come home I always wash and wax the car and clean the interior . I feel guilty Also when I service I tell them to do whatever the car needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ View Post
Would love to get my F out on the track one day... for NOOB or first time track goers, traction control on or off?
Absolutely leave it on. I always leave mine on. I have decent lines and the TCS helps me push harder . Plus it acts as a safety net. Saved him and its saved me at least twice in my times on the track from totally spinning and potentially hitting someone or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon72 View Post
I recommend trac control on for the first time. It wasn't too intrusive and my spin out could have been a lot worse had it been off.
Totally agree. With the amount of power and torque that we have as well as the tiny rears ( even at 275 ) there is always going to be a tendency to over steer and/or understeer , especially after a few laps and the tires start to get greasy and really hot. With my PSS I honestly cant remember anytime the TCS came on other than the two times I almost spun ( and one was with the tires worn about 85-90%).

I love the PSS but I am tempted to try the RE11. I need something with a stiffer sidewall and better wear on the track. When I spoke to a rep at Tire rack they said " the PSS is a street tire that can be used on the track while the RE11 was a track tire that can be used on the street ". The later is what I am after.

BTW If any of you guys hit the track and want a little decal check these guys out

http://www.trackdecals.com/
Attached Thumbnails
First track day with the ISF (NCM Motorsports Park)-img_1823.jpg  

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS/ PTS Joe Z exhaust/ RR Racing A/O separator and USRS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles to my home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
Old 07-23-15, 10:23 PM   #9
Blzn335
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
When your ready to hit the track let me know. I go from time to time and I live in NorCal too. It's nice to go with someone your first time to kind of show you the ropes. I8ABMR got me hooked on track days.

08 ISF
10 RX350 (Wife)
08 E92 335i (sold)
03 350Z Track (sold)
02 E39 M5 (sold)
98 Integra Gsr (sold)
Blzn335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-15, 10:42 PM   #10
lexicon72
Driver School Candidate

Yep - I ran with Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. I autocrossed with RE11s on my IS300 and wasn't particularly fond of them. But a lot of people like them.
Old 07-25-15, 08:48 PM   #11
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzn335 View Post
When your ready to hit the track let me know. I go from time to time and I live in NorCal too. It's nice to go with someone your first time to kind of show you the ropes. I8ABMR got me hooked on track days.

It was great hitting the track with you buddy. I am still addicted and just waiting for another chance.
Rich, were you planning to try out the new RR racing LCA or AO separator ?? I think you might dig them , especially as one of the few who does track days regularly.

Old 07-25-15, 10:26 PM   #12
Blzn335
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]
It was great hitting the track with you buddy. I am still addicted and just waiting for another chance.
Rich, were you planning to try out the new RR racing LCA or AO separator ?? I think you might dig them , especially as one of the few who does track days regularly.
Actually I have been thinking about an AO separator and possible addition oil cooler. Hoping to get them done by the end of the year. Also planning on exhaust and headers

08 ISF
10 RX350 (Wife)
08 E92 335i (sold)
03 350Z Track (sold)
02 E39 M5 (sold)
98 Integra Gsr (sold)
Blzn335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 12:54 AM   #13
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Actually I have been thinking about an AO separator and possible addition oil cooler. Hoping to get them done by the end of the year. Also planning on exhaust and headers
have a bday coming up soon and got he OK from the wife for some new wheels. I want something wider but sticking with 19s. Been looking and forged. I like VMR wheels because they are hubcentric like an oem wheel and they make light 19s or even the TSW forged Nurburgring like the guys from RR Racing.

Old 07-28-15, 05:16 PM   #14
RRRacing
Sponsor

https://www.facebook.com/RRRmotorsportsengineering

Quote:
Maybe you had a chance to check our new Borla exhaust upgrades. We offer the following options:

* Full Borla with OEM tips;
* RR Racing Quad Tip Upgrade for Borla -- dual Magnaflow wide open mufflers with quad 3.5 exhaust tips, slightly louder and deeper than standard Borla; and
* RR Racing Quad Tip Bazooka Upgrade for Borla (!) -- retains large Borla resonator and replaces mufflers with dual muffler-less quad tips, loud system above 2500rpm, but tolerable below, with very aggressive and intoxicating exotic sound. The Bazooka is definitely for the track!

Check out the video comparing the exhausts:

Please note that we are making minor design changes to tuck in the tips about an inch for the final production versions of Quad Tip upgrades.

Also, for guys who drive fast or track their cars, we recommend looking at our front two piece floating rotors and back brake kits for improved bias and better pad selection for the back.

We Engineer Track Proven Upgrades For Your Lexus!

*Complete IS-F Performance Parts Catalog
*Check out our awesome 14" Lexus IS/GS Big Brake Kits, starting at $995!

RRRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:15 PM   #15
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRacing View Post
Maybe you had a chance to check our new Borla exhaust upgrades. We offer the following options:

* Full Borla with OEM tips;
* RR Racing Quad Tip Upgrade for Borla -- dual Magnaflow wide open mufflers with quad 3.5 exhaust tips, slightly louder and deeper than standard Borla; and
* RR Racing Quad Tip Bazooka Upgrade for Borla (!) -- retains large Borla resonator and replaces mufflers with dual muffler-less quad tips, loud system above 2500rpm, but tolerable below, with very aggressive and intoxicating exotic sound. The Bazooka is definitely for the track!

Check out the video comparing the exhausts: https://youtu.be/6fdI37gz8U0

Please note that we are making minor design changes to tuck in the tips about an inch for the final production versions of Quad Tip upgrades.

Also, for guys who drive fast or track their cars, we recommend looking at our front two piece floating rotors and back brake kits for improved bias and better pad selection for the back.
WOW . Had no idea you guys had exhausts available. The little tweaks sound pretty cool. I know there are a ton of guy who want the non stock tips.

By the way, I checked my catch can tonight and even after just 1 week there is a little at the bottom. Not enough to register, but there is something in there. Im sure at the next track day there will be a bit more

Old 07-28-15, 11:15 PM