IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Car got keyed...help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 07:57 PM
fearnight
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
I had scratches down to the metal on my M Roadster and my guy was able to make them disappear without paint. Lots of time and massaging the paint is the trick, something I could never do.
In my experience, you can't make paint appear on bare metal without applying more paint. Your detailer must be a magician . That, or the scratch wasn't quite that deep after all.

Worth a try for the OP though either way.
Old 07-21-15, 07:59 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I will first try to buff it because i hate dealing with the insurance company to put a record on my car. I dont mind little imperfection as i dont take my car to a show. Worst come to worst, if its too noticeable after buff, i will consider the respray route. Since im not familiar with detailing product, im here asking which product to use. Now, with all been said, im an example of "hater" victim, and i swear i ONLY push my F on EMPTY highway, my F DONT reach 3K rpm in local. but as you're all can see....haters are still gonna hate. So please guys....we're all know there are haters out there. Dont create extra...sorry, im half drunk typing this
Old 07-21-15, 08:09 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use Ammo in Nyc, he does amazing work
larry@ammonyc.com you can ask him some questions if u want.
I watch his videos and seen this one while back
Old 07-21-15, 10:06 PM
NoFsport
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's messed up! Haters that do this kind of shenanigans are the scum of the earth. Those scratches look deep, good luck with the buffering but I think it's gonna need a respray.
Old 07-21-15, 10:50 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

wow man.. that sucks, i dont understand why people do this stuff...
Old 07-21-15, 10:51 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Very disappointing to see people with such hatred for their own things translate to inflicting harm on others' property. Probably envy that they can't afford something nice? Can't handle the fact that their crappy lives are going nowhere, so they just try to bring others down with them. It does appear that you will need a full respray.

As others have stated, check to see how far vandalism will go on your policy. Things like this shouldn't happen, but insurance should help soften the blow. Unfortunately, that alone won't ever have you forgetting what type of people still exist in this world. Sad but true. Best of luck with the paint!
Old 07-21-15, 11:42 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn!

Sucks when you see and hear about things like this!

Try the fingernail test as someone mentioned above. Pretty sure from your photos those are too deep to correct with any compound or polish sadly.

I've had paint done on my F without needing a full respray. Lots of shops should be able to blend in fresh paint without doing the whole car.

Admittedly mine is SGM, so probably easier to do than your USB.

Hope you get it sorted though mate. Sad to see.

Peter
Old 07-21-15, 11:48 PM
stevepanda
Driver School Candidate

Have you thought about making a claim?
Old 07-22-15, 01:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Man I am so sorry to see this. This kind of **** makes me so mad. I have seen pros work magic on stuff like this but it may need to be resprayed
Old 07-22-15, 04:46 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexgendboi
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I will first try to buff it because i hate dealing with the insurance company to put a record on my car. I dont mind little imperfection as i dont take my car to a show. Worst come to worst, if its too noticeable after buff, i will consider the respray route. Since im not familiar with detailing product, im here asking which product to use. Now, with all been said, im an example of "hater" victim, and i swear i ONLY push my F on EMPTY highway, my F DONT reach 3K rpm in local. but as you're all can see....haters are still gonna hate. So please guys....we're all know there are haters out there. Dont create extra...sorry, im half drunk typing this
No offense but if you don't know what products to use I don't think this is something you want to tackle yourself. You will just end up wasting your money. Take it to a professional and get their opinion to see if they can buff it out as they will have the tools needed to get the job done.
Old 07-22-15, 11:57 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fearnight
In my experience, you can't make paint appear on bare metal without applying more paint. Your detailer must be a magician . That, or the scratch wasn't quite that deep after all.

Worth a try for the OP though either way.
I'm no expert and the scratch was down to the metal. I asked him how he did it and he said he is able to heat the paint and clear enough to bring it back over the scratch. I don't know if that's true but that's what he said. His portfolio of cars is huge and the most expensive he ever wet sanded and polished was the Ferrari FXX.
Old 07-22-15, 08:42 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Originally Posted by Diesel350
No offense but if you don't know what products to use I don't think this is something you want to tackle yourself. You will just end up wasting your money. Take it to a professional and get their opinion to see if they can buff it out as they will have the tools needed to get the job done.
I totally agree i was so eager to do something about it, anything. So i thought i could just try some buffing products to blend some paint in the marks to ease up my eyes, because it hurts from looking at it. Thanks guys for all the help and links.
Old 07-22-15, 08:50 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear bro. I had a situation with a lady near my home who scratched my ISF. Luckily her ins paid for the repairs. 560 for having the rear bumper resprayed. I was DAMN. well its not my money. LOL.
Old 07-22-15, 09:08 PM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFCOBRA
Sorry to hear bro. I had a situation with a lady near my home who scratched my ISF. Luckily her ins paid for the repairs. 560 for having the rear bumper resprayed. I was DAMN. well its not my money. LOL.
LOL, a lady??? Anyway, if my scratches were at the bumper, i would have order a painted bumper from Sewell, assuming if they're still selling it. Im guesstimate my bill will be within $2k for a respray???
Old 07-23-15, 07:30 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Horrible, just horrible.

If you file a claim, a reminder to follow up with both your agent and the shop to ensure they don't contact Carfax. One ding on there will kill the values of our cars. I know for a fact that State Farm does not. You do NOT always require a police report.

Quick Reply: Car got keyed...help..