IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking into an ISF for Daily Duties

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 11:54 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had mine (an '08 w/53K mi.) for about a month. Live in Seattle, and the roads here are terrible w/lots of potholes and speed bumps from tree roots. That being said, the ride is still suprisingly bad, however, I'm 56y/o and feeling my age (until I'm behind the wheel). And my previous daily was a lowered gen. 2 MR2 (it rode better).
Looking into 18" wheels w/40 series tires as a poss solution.
I still would highly reccommend the IsF as a daily.
Old 07-21-15, 12:29 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Ahhhha good ole Vegas, I got a friend out there.

I would skip the M3 man, those cars are nothing but problems down the road, especially when they run out of warranty.

I would skip the IS 250 as well, you would get tired of that car after 2 days, it has no power at all, I've driven them.

Best color for your area would be white, and get the windows tinted. Years I recommend are 2011 to 2014.

I don't daily mine, but it's always a pleasure to drive. I will beat the dead horse again, these cars are VERY RELIABLE, you can put RedLine 5W-30 full synthetic in it and you're good to go.

Nice Evo by the way, I remember when those cars came out in 2003, I was in California back then and it was a big deal. Ended up with a 2004 STi, but had/have plenty of friends who had Lancer Evo's.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 07-21-15 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 12:37 PM
2URGSE
Racer

AutoTrader has some, but I didn't see anything too close to Las Vegas.
Old 07-21-15, 01:16 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

OP,

I have a stock 08 (except suspension) as a daily for the past 5 years and what everyone has previously stated is pretty much spot on.

I like hard suspensions but I have to admit, the suspension when driving on cement highways with all the cement seals and gaps between plates here in Atlanta can be pretty brutal on the back and tailbone. As I said, I like hard suspensions and read about the 2011/12 suspension upgrade and I stumbled on a near new set off a 2014 F with Swift springs and even with that change, it is still harsh on the bouncy highway but not enough to detract from the positive and fun factors of the car. Much easier ride on the driver for when I let my son drive, it can get downright brutal on the passenger side in my opinion in comparison.

Maybe it is the Swift springs that are keeping it kind of harsh? Either way, damn good car.
Old 07-21-15, 01:48 PM
2URGSE
Racer

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=89107&endYear=2016&modelCode1=ISF&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LEXUS&searchRadius=100&mmt=[LEXUS[ISF[]][]]&listingId=402740069
Old 07-21-15, 07:09 PM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll sell you mine for $33,500 2012 F USB 95k miles still covered under warranty to 100k. Its not listed anywhere for sale.
Old 07-21-15, 07:17 PM
R748
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are close to the Canadian border, the canadian dollar is 1.27 US. So a 2011 ISF with around 50K miles can be had for around 31-32 $US. It not much work to import into the US either. We've bought cars in the U.S when the Can vs US dollar were reversed, and its pretty easy.

For example, all IS-Fs in Ontario:

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/lexus...=True&wcp=True

According to xe.com, 1 US$ = 1.29 CAN$

Dunno why more Americans don't shop in Canada. We Canadians used to buy cars in the U.S when the situation was reversed

Last edited by R748; 07-21-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 07:34 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012ISF
I'll sell you mine for $33,500 2012 F USB 95k miles still covered under warranty to 100k. Its not listed anywhere for sale.
Had you been local and available months ago, I would have gotten it. The mileage doesn't scare me
Old 07-21-15, 07:43 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I'm 6'1 and about 200lbs as well.. I never really liked the ISF seats for long trips since my back would get sore no matter how I adjusted the lumbar or seating position. Might be different for you though.
I very much agree with this. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of mine pretty soon for a 2013 LS 460 F sport.

I value comfort these days ever since I got a motorcycle... lol

Last edited by XpediencY; 07-21-15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 08:35 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my F in February and have been dailying it. I do only drive about 20 miles a day with the exception of driving to shows, meets or other random things. I have it slammed on pretty stiff coilovers both otherwise its basically stock and I love it as a daily. For a V8 it's actually quite good on gas and pretty comfortable to my STI which I also dailied and that was even more slammed and modded.
Old 07-21-15, 09:32 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 2010 with 22k miles a few weeks ago. Traded in my LS430 on it.

My biggest concern was ride quality after reading all of the reviews that it is brutal. I must say, I absolutely love the car and I think the chassis and suspension are both awesome.

Now of course it is much more firm than the 430 but most important to me in terms of comfort is there is never any crash or bang or clunks. Just always feels smooth and I continue to be impressed with just how compliant it is on 19's and chunky Illinois roads.

I also considered others. I really like Audi styling and interiors but I'm just not dealing with intake ports with carbon build up issues. Lexus did it right with port and direct.

M3 was a contender as well and I believe it is port injected but fuel economy was lacking, I also didn't feel great about reliability after reading about main (or was it rod) bearing failures.

Maybe I was being overly critical on the M3 but carbon build up is just not acceptable to me as I put about 20k a year on my DD.
Old 07-21-15, 10:52 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Definitely going into the right direction, it really is a reliable car!
Old 07-21-15, 11:12 PM
Rabbity94
Driver School Candidate

So I bit the bullet and went to that carmax with the white ISF with 60k miles for 33k, took it for an extended test drive. After hearing that the 08's suspension was rather stiff, compared to my evo the ISF felt like a buick with less body roll, it was like riding on a ****ing cloud. I felt just..right at home, everything was in reach, and the seats are actually really nice compared to dailying my Bride Gias Low Max's. Talked to the dealer, he wanted to know more about my evo and then we took the IS down some nice tidy roads and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Might be whipping out the checkbook a little sooner now rather than later. Thank you guys so much for the insight, and information. Now I just have to fight the urge to open up 30 tabs from various websites involving wheels, brakes, suspension and aero..****
Old 07-21-15, 11:38 PM
stevepanda
Driver School Candidate

I dailyed my ISF for a year and its great. Gas mileage is so-so, but its super comfortable and the a/c is ace.
Old 07-22-15, 07:42 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
The car has the exclusivity of a Lotus, the reliability of a Camry and the power of an M3. What's not to like?

I also heard all about how harsh the ride was on the 08-10 models, but I have an 09 that I've lowered a little bit and it is not rough to me at all, especially coming from some of the other cars I've owned. Any performance car is going to have a firm suspension, but I believe it was be plenty comfortable for you to take on road trips without hurting your back.

Test drive one. You'll be sold.
I wouldn't say the ISF is as rare as a Lotus (), but definitely very rare! I only saw a handful before purchasing mine in 2011. Reliable? Hell yes. Didn't have one issue with my 08. You'd never think a car this reliable would be this fast in a straight line. Car hits triple digits EASY and keeps pulling. Personally, the firm suspension never bothered me, and the seats provide ample support. I did 6.5 hrs in my ISF from Canada to NY without stopping (think I stopped for gas once), and no back issues. Aftermarket is a bit limited (depending on who you ask, I was satisfied with 416hp)... but you can easily hit 500whp with headers/exhaust/NOS, and do so reliably. Let us know when you are picking up your ISF

Quick Reply: Looking into an ISF for Daily Duties