IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Looking into an ISF for Daily Duties

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 06:51 AM
Rabbity94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into an ISF for Daily Duties

Hello Club Lexus members, as stated in my topic title I'm looking for input from current and former owners of the 08-11 models. Ironically this is my first post on CL, and would actually lead me to being possibly a new Lexus owner as well. A little bit of information to help you guys help me out in the hunt, I'm 28, 6'1 and about 205, ride quality is a little higher on the scale, but also creature comforts (I'll get to that in a minute). Location wise, I'm in Las Vegas, so it's not like I have to worry about snow or anything like that, just downpours, ****ty drivers, and the need for really good A/C. Going back to comfort, ride stiffness on long trips? The reason I ask this is mainly because I have a back injury from a few deployments to Iraq so that would be a plus to know. Will I be modding the car? Most likely no other than a few personalized touches (That's how it always starts). Currently I'm driving an 03 Evo 8 making somewhere in the 800 range on E85 but with my back getting worse as I age, it's actually becoming draining to drive even though it puts more smiles per mile on my face than a lot of my other cars that I've owned in the past. A couple of other cars I've been taking a look at was the 2010 M3, 2012 S4, 2012 IS350. It seems to me in the recent months, I've been looking for more of an all around car that's fun enough, but also comfortable enough to lets say, drive to Arizona or Cali for the weekend with the miss (who is 5'11). This would also be replacing the traditional "B'cuz RaceCar n ****box daily" combo. Thanks a bunch in advanced.
Old 07-21-15, 07:01 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I daily my car 25k miles a year and will not give it up for anything, within the price range. A few times that my car was in the shop because of accidents or recalls, it reassured my decision of picking the ISF as a daily. Driven newer Lexus loaners and car rentals and nothing comes close. Totaled my 08 and ended up with a 2010 within 5 days, show you how much I love the car. Long distance is no big deal with the car either.
Old 07-21-15, 07:05 AM
Rabbity94
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick insight MK4, with that in mind how many miles are you currently at now, and what is the current type of pricing I should be looking at for a lower mileage fully stock, not modded then had a part out to stock sale, stock?
Old 07-21-15, 07:17 AM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 08 had 118k miles when it was a total lost, still drove like a 30k miles car. I picked up my 2010 for 31k with 80k miles. Mileage isn't a problem as long as the interior and exterior are well maintained. My 08 made 408 whp at 105k miles and my buddy with a 08 with 45k miles made 396whp (same day and dyno), both with headers and exhaust. I have lighter wheels and rotors that may explained the extra 12whp. So I would say go look for a newer vehicle, 2010+ even if it has slightly more miles. The small extras like USB music streaming from iPhone, Bluetooth music, small changes in the interior make a huge different for me. Plus 10+ come with Torsten LSD and 11+ come with revised softer suspension. That maybe a huge deal considering your back problem. I think 2011 can be had for 35k now. 2012 is about 38-40k
Old 07-21-15, 07:21 AM
Rabbity94
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I saw a carmax near me had an 08 for 35k with 66k on the clock and thought that was a bit on the high side.
Old 07-21-15, 07:25 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2008. Ride quality depends on the road. If the road is smooth, ride is fine. If the road is rough, the ride WILL be rough. You will feel the bumps and harshness of the road. I'm not sure about the 2010 and up but from what i heard, those years had revised suspension. So far with 80k miles, no issues and been happy with it.
Old 07-21-15, 07:30 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2011 in November 2014. Been my daily driver since. I have a 55 mile round trip M-F. Mostly highway but about 25% of that is in heavy Socal 405 rush hour traffic.

Cons: 1. Averaging about 22 mpg, which is actually great for a 170 mph, 416 bhp car. 2. Cost of brake rotors and pads. Brembo's are not cheap to maintain. I ended up putting Stop Tech pads on the car.

Pros: 1. Lexus is very reliable. I know I'm not going to have issues with the car. 2. Performance, BMW M3 like performance. 3. Comfort. Yeah, it's a firm ride but any performance car is. Nice interior, good AC, good seats unless you are really wide. I'm 5'7" and 180lbs so I'm bordering on that description.

I paid $39k for a fully stock 2011 with ML and 32k miles back in November 2014 as a reference in case you decide on one.
Old 07-21-15, 07:31 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Rabbity94 - First off thank you for your service! You have come to the right place to get info. This is a great forum with lots of knowledgable folks...

I daily my '08 and really love the Jekyll and Hyde personalities of this car. Depending on your mood it can be docile with all the creature comforts you expect OR you can switch it over to F Mode and put a smile on your face.

I agree with MK4 - with your back issues you should go with '11+ The revised suspension is much improved over the earlier models. Just keep in mind that if you get the mod bug, we are very limited in performance upgrades. We max out around 400rwp without nitrous. Exhaust is really the only noticeable upgrade - no tunes, no boost, etc... So make sure you consider that coming from your current 800HP monster.

However - as you will hear from many on here. You cannot beat the reliability of these cars. I'm pushing 100K and have only had scheduled maintenance and minor recall work performed. You can count on this ride to get you where you need to be in style with a smile.
Old 07-21-15, 07:39 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I paid around 32 for my 08 with around 60k on it in 2013 after my last deployment. Car is almost at 95k and still drives new. The interior is getting worn but that's part of dding this car I guess. Never had a real issue other than the recalls. Taken the car on a few road trips to and from Savannah to Atlanta and back. Seats do get a little hot, but its dark leather...I'm 6ft anywhere from 230-250 depending on what I've had to eat that day haha. But the seats are very comfy otherwise.
One of the biggest complaints I read was the harshness of the ride. Coming from lowered cars and a truck, the ride felt smooth to me. Even my wife said it rode better than my previous vehicles. Overall it's a great car and very glad I was fortunate to pick one up. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 07-21-15, 07:46 AM
Rabbity94
Driver School Candidate

NSXGuy - Haha, I know the feeling of that brembo cool guy tax already, what's worse is that I have Porsche 6 pistons on the front for my car right now it's like brembo tax, but in Deutschmarks lol. Sadly at 22mpg, that's still double what I'm getting in the evo, I wanna say lol in a funny haha way, but it's more like lol in a I might as well be paying child support kind of way.

Meansteak - Thank you kind sir, I did it for the people and I whole heartedly agree, a lot...warmer welcoming to a first post than a lot of other car forums. As far as power mod bug, I'm almost thirty and the last time I got pulled in the evo going...xxx fast, the Highway Patrol officer looked at me, looked at my car, looked at the lady, then looked at my dog and said with the most straight and smug face. "Guy, you're almost 30, grow up." and gave me a warning and let me be on my way, which is I think a way of telling me...yeah...
Old 07-21-15, 08:00 AM
08isf
Driver School Candidate

I purchased an 08 ISF in July 2014, had 38k miles and I paid right around $38k for it. I can't believe how amazing the car has been, I drive it daily even through Wisconsin winters. Coming from a modded Acura RSX it has been night and day. My daughter (3 years old) loves it, especially when the dual stage intake opens up!!

Fuel economy I average about 17.5mpg but always drive in Sport mode and have a heavy foot, I also am in heavy traffic (approx 45min to go 12 miles).

On the back injury front, my wife has had two back surgeries (by the time she was 32), a micro and a fusion. We just completed a drive to and around Toronto (approx 1,500 miles) and she was totally fine. She couldn't even ride in my Acura which had the Mugen suspension and her daily is a Highlander but she loves riding in my car and the heated seats also help to relax her back.

My car has zero mods since it is my daily, I have a senior position with a bank and am 31 years old, kind of seems like it wouldn't fit....that being said I still want to put an exhaust on it.
Old 07-21-15, 10:09 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 6'1 and about 200lbs as well.. I never really liked the ISF seats for long trips since my back would get sore no matter how I adjusted the lumbar or seating position. Might be different for you though.
Old 07-21-15, 10:17 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I dd my 11 40k a year im 6'2" 220 im in orlando fl and eveb when its over 100 out side the ac works awesome. I get about 18-24mpg 18 if its all stop and go.
Old 07-21-15, 10:27 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Im 6' and 225 (linebacker style). I love the seats. I have an 2011 so it has leather and alecentra (sued which i always spell wrong). I love it. My buddy has and evo and i hate the seats. Im to wide to sit in them, back doesnt even touch the seat. So if you can fit in evo you will fit in isf. Car rides super smooth. I wouldnt recommened coil overs if you have back issues. You can DD this car all day. Sport, fun, luxurus and it turns heads. Plus AC cold as hell.

Go get one you wont regret it.

Yes that 08 is little on high side. I bought my 2011 for 47k with 15k miles but it already had some work done to it. Immaculate condition and still has new car smell.
Old 07-21-15, 11:18 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rabbity94
As far as power mod bug, I'm almost thirty and the last time I got pulled in the evo going...xxx fast, the Highway Patrol officer looked at me, looked at my car, looked at the lady, then looked at my dog and said with the most straight and smug face. "Guy, you're almost 30, grow up." and gave me a warning and let me be on my way, which is I think a way of telling me...yeah...
First off, welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of good information here. Secondly, the above quoted text cracked me up, but is oh so true. The one thing that I never liked about the Evo was the boy-racer look of it. I respected the car for what it was, and man can those things make SERIOUS power, but driving around in an 600whp+ car that still looks like something out of the Fast and Furious is just not the image I ever wanted.

You'll find that the Lexus (and M3 and S4 and C63) all are a different class of car. Sure, they may not be quite as fast as your Evo, especially with the lack of AWD, but they're more than quick enough to get you in trouble, and they also have that luxury car fit and finish that is an obvious step above the Evo. The reason most of us are here with the ISF and not with one of the competitors is the fact that a.) our car is rare, and b.) our car is reliable. For a guy that is looking for some creature comforts and also the reliability of a daily driver, the ISF is the car. The car has the exclusivity of a Lotus, the reliability of a Camry and the power of an M3. What's not to like?

I also heard all about how harsh the ride was on the 08-10 models, but I have an 09 that I've lowered a little bit and it is not rough to me at all, especially coming from some of the other cars I've owned. Any performance car is going to have a firm suspension, but I believe it was be plenty comfortable for you to take on road trips without hurting your back.

Test drive one. You'll be sold.

Quick Reply: Looking into an ISF for Daily Duties