IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

As our cars get older

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 05:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts
Default As our cars get older

This thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9102840 reminded me of something.

There are things we will not be able to get for our cars in the future. Parts will go E code and become unavailable. One of the very first is the F logo floor mats. I learned about this when I went to Toyota to get new blue floor mats for my '89 MR2 SC in 1996. They only had black. Not going to look very good with the white exterior and blue interior. So, in two or three years, just about the time many of us will be thinking, wow, my floor mats look like rags, maybe I should buy some new ones, they won't be available. Why? Because dealers aren't ordering them for new cars, and only owners who care about floor mats are buying them. Not enough to justify a production run.

The same thing happened to the MkIV Supra. After my MR2 experience, I knew to get a set before they disappeared. A few years later, the cry from Supraforums was so great, one of the Toyota dealers in Texas had the OEM producer make another run. It took a little bit, but they too sold out. Now there are no new Supra mats unless you find someone sitting on them. They'll ask a special price for them too.

So, what am I saying here? If you want your car to keep looking nice well into the future, plan now to buy things (little things, but maybe big things) to replace those items we know will die. It might be a PITA to store a dash pad, but you'll be happy when the one you've had for 12 years splits and separates. I bought my Supra a new dash pad in 2005. There were 11 left in the global supply for left hand drive cars...it was a bargain, and NO, I don't park it in the sun without a shade!
Old 07-08-15, 05:58 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time to buy an ISF transmission before they run out!!.... oh wait..
Old 07-08-15, 06:05 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

By the time replacement of parts comes for the F, you'll have a trusty, household 3D printer that will even spit out parts for your 72 Saab sonett
Old 07-08-15, 06:27 PM
blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Was just considering this exact purchase. My plan is to buy a new set, along with the Figs foot plate for my current mat. This way I have a fresh set in waiting but I won't have to look at the worn heel imprint.
Nice thread idea...
Old 07-09-15, 06:08 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the parts for the ISF should run for around 10+yrs after the last production yr, so 2014 + 10 = 2024 ? so it's another 9 yrs down the road.
Old 07-09-15, 07:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by zen
I think the parts for the ISF should run for around 10+yrs after the last production yr, so 2014 + 10 = 2024 ? so it's another 9 yrs down the road.
Some yes, some no. The ones common to the 2IS platform, sure. The ones unique to the F, not likely. More like 5 years tops.
Old 07-09-15, 11:06 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Some yes, some no. The ones common to the 2IS platform, sure. The ones unique to the F, not likely. More like 5 years tops.
that makes sense.
Old 07-09-15, 11:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been thinking of getting some new mats. LOL Thanks for the heads up.

Also why would anyone park this car in the sun without a sunshade. I know I live in AZ but come on. They are 30 bucks at the dealership and they have the exact fit one that are not bulky. We know all about them in AZ. Maybe Im just used to it, but no melted dash here
Old 07-09-15, 12:04 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Time to buy an ISF transmission before they run out!!.... oh wait..
You're GTR tranny gonna take a dump on you before the F does since you'll be pushing 1200+ WHP. IF your're not pushing that much, whyd you even buy the car..

Just kidding.

But, going back to the original post. Hopefully, everyone takes care of their car with monthly details that they wont ever need new products!

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-09-15, 06:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Lance is onto something, and I do agree with the scarcity of IS F novelty parts in the near future. When we bought our cars, we never thought "forever" would be a long period of time. Some who said they'd keep their cars for that long, sell it for something different. Others who know how difficult it is to find parts from older vehicles can appreciate what is in stock for the IS F currently. Even stretching beyond basic floor mats, I've seen molds for authentic parts off older cars and companies trying to re-brand them as their own unique creation, and those still fetch a decent amount for a car that no longer has parts in stock or been discontinued altogether. I thought it was pretty smart for those lucky few to snag the once-in-a-lifetime deal for when those IS F transmissions were being discounted for pennies on the dollar. Yes, Lexus reliability is top notch and no one expects needing to replace anything, but truthfully, I find myself clearing garage space for duplicates of the same part just in case.

One never knows. No one expected the MKIV Supra to be in such a demand, and as a result, OEM parts are even more expensive because there is now a growing demand for those specific items. I'm not entirely sure if the IS F will get to that prestigious level, but if it ever does, the costs of floor mats now will seem like a steal in a few decades. One thing I know will most likely crap out before the car's mechanicals ever does, is the navigation unit. That will be an interesting one to replace, if ever need be.
Old 07-10-15, 07:09 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I bought for my IS-F when I picked it up in November 2014 was an extra set of IS-F floor mats from Sewell. Wish I had done that for my NSX. Can't get the OEM mats for the NSX any more.
Old 07-10-15, 07:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
First thing I bought for my IS-F when I picked it up in November 2014 was an extra set of IS-F floor mats from Sewell. Wish I had done that for my NSX. Can't get the OEM mats for the NSX any more.
I have a set of mats still in the plastic too. I might get another set because I am seeing a hole forming on the driver's side mat where my heel rests now. But with nearly 120k on the odometer, it's no surprise.
Old 07-10-15, 08:15 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I wish I had several thousand dollars lying around for seats, I feel like that's the interior part that's going to be the most warn eventually. I guess it will be the aftermarket route once my seats look hideous enough.
Old 07-10-15, 09:31 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any online places to order floor mats these days? Swell is shutdown, L-Tuned parts is shutdown.

Any others I've missed?
Old 07-10-15, 11:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

We still have some forum sponsors providing OEM Lexus parts. Take a look at the vendor classifieds...

Quick Reply: As our cars get older