IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

COOLANT LOSS Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 04:36 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation COOLANT LOSS Poll

Good Morning Everyone, I would like to collect data based on those that have had the "coolant loss issue" beside those related to the water pump which we can include later if we deem necessary. I would like to know if you have found a coolant loss issue based on YEAR and MILEAGE of your vehicle. I am talking back and forth with Lexus Corporate for a mediated or full resolution from Lexus. For example I had my radiator fail at 43K a few years back replace and thought it was due to header install but as I have seen this has been reported on new lower mileage F which makes me now believe that it was actually the radiator failing. Second as we have found coolant leaks in the motor due to failing parts.. Thus, I need to collect this data to possibly have Lexus solve for me once I go in for the recall and of coarse all members can use to work with Lexus to get some form of resolution beside paying for failures that are common beside mileage and year. I believe this data will help Lexus realize even with new low mileage models having the same failure and those older that they have a major problem on their hands and at least can help some of us if not all with proper documentation and proof of recurrence and failures.

So remember post YEAR and MILEAGE which will be significant data for this thread.
Old 07-03-15, 06:19 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No issues so far. 2010 just short of 27k. I just had the cooling fan recall and Lexus didn't mention any issues or seeing any signs of problems.
Old 07-03-15, 02:03 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 leaked since 50k

At 50K miles asked why the coolant was low even though the water pump was just changed - dealership tried to check and stated it was normal / temperature fluctuations

over the time it kept hanging at low line - dealt for 2 years filling the reservoir etc etc - asked dealership randomly - kept stating the "temperature fluctuations"

127K - Changed the water pump myself

133K - leaking in the valley found during recall - paid out of pocket to fix it
Old 07-03-15, 02:29 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

2011 just over 49K. No coolant loss previously. Recently did rad fan recall and noticed today that coolant is below full line. Can't remember if I checked the level at the dealer after the recall so will keep an eye on it this month.
Old 07-03-15, 03:32 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2008 with 66k.... I too was suffering the coolant loss bug until I got both of my ELE(i think thats what this one was called) and ELF recalls done. For the ELE recall where the screws were backing off the radiator. the dealership accidentally broke something off my radiator and replaced it. So since I'm no longer leaking coolant I supposed the replacement fixed the problem. I haven't had to fill my radiator tank in over 8k miles.
Old 07-03-15, 05:51 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

My 2009 had low coolant when I bought it at 71k miles. Resealed the valley plate at 8Xk miles which fixed the problem. I would have to look back at my notes for the specific mileage. I believe that I'm still on the original water pump. At 90k miles now.
Old 07-04-15, 05:20 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

good start keep information coming.. Also post pics if you have please it will help when I present and reply to Lexus North America Customer Service.
Old 07-04-15, 08:00 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default COOLANT LOSS Poll

My 2008 had low Coolant from the time I bought it. Changed water pump at 40k still always became low. Changed radiator at 50k still same problem. Went in for fan recall and fuel at 75k and valley plate was leaking. It was resealed now no problem. It's been a couple months now and no problems with level since.
Old 07-05-15, 07:37 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I had some of the coolant piping on top of the motor leaking where the spring clamps are, water pump replaced 50k miles ago, nothin else spotted yet
Old 07-06-15, 01:13 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

08. water pump started weeping at 58K
Old 07-06-15, 11:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

2010 and it seems like since my recall I am losing coolant. I will have them check this out next visit.
Old 07-07-15, 03:01 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

08,did not notice any loss,but when i went to change the oil,my mechanic told me there is a bit of dried coolant leak from the water pump...ever since last year i keep checking the coolant level but seems like it does'nt leak that bad
Old 07-07-15, 01:26 PM
Dupshaw123
Rookie

I have a 2010 with 50k miles and I have had similar issues to you. My radiator blew opened causing coolant to leak out. I had this replaced under warranty. I still think there is coolant loss. I have not done the ELF recall or the radiator fan recall yet, as I am to busy to be dealing with recalls it is just inconvienent. I also contacted Lexus corporate about my leaking coolant, because I do not want to pay a dime to get faulty stuff replaced. I do not think it is fair any of us should be paying out of pocket for a radiator or water pump repaired it should be included under powerTrain warranty. Even splitting labor costs is unfair, I honestly don't care it should be Lexus responsibility to do a recall or repair faulty cooling systems. I have had many cars and never have I had to pay for something like this. It is absolutely unacceptable on Lexus' behalf especially since it is a widespread issue. It is Lexus issue to cover labor costs not mine, it's should be about keeping the customer happy I am sorry I am old school.
Old 07-07-15, 05:37 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It might help to create a Google Doc, to log this
Old 07-07-15, 08:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is frustrating. I have a feeling my car is going to be gone fort a while at the next service.

Quick Reply: COOLANT LOSS Poll