IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Panamera s / gts vs is-f ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 08:08 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Panamera s / gts vs is-f ?

A friend of mine just picked up a panamera s that's a few years old... they have depreciated quite a lot and is now just a bit pricier than a late model IS-F
Has any F owner considered this car? or made comparisons?

they both have 4 doors, 4 seats, a big trunk, rear wheel drive, front engine, about the same power, similar displacement, 7 speed dual clutch vs 8 speed auto, both are luxury sport sedans, even the mpg is similar 16/24....and yes the porsche is about 350 lb heavier.....so maybe a GTS with 440 hp would be more comparable, and from what i have heard, porsche is probably the most reliable German you can get (vs bmw mb audi), of course, nowhere close to lexus in terms of reliability and low maintenance cost

what do you guys think?

Last edited by kiryu; 06-30-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 08:17 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have not driven the Panamera, so I can't give you anything on driving dynamics, but I've been intrigued by that car for years. I've even been close to deciding to seriously shop for one, but every time I get close, I think I'd want to get the turbo, or GTS at the very bare minimum. Then when I think about spending that much money, I figure I might as well get the Cayman GTS since I have a daily driver and don't need a 4 seater. And then I look at my ISF and realize I don't have to spend any money at all and I get to drive a Japanese muscle car that is rare, reliable and plenty fast enough for what I need, and I abandon the whole thought of the Panamera. I do like those cars though. It's really grown on me.
Old 06-30-15, 08:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was going to buy a Panamerra until one of the Docs I know very well had his need half the engine to be rebuilt. It was under warranty and the car was down for 9 weeks. F that !!!! Im buying another LS460L after my ISF. Slam it on 22's and shes done
Old 06-30-15, 09:05 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

When the Panamera first came out I thought it was hideous. It has grown on me over the years. My wife had a Panamera 4 in the garage for a few days while the Cayenne had some work done. I can honestly say it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven...like floating on air but without annoying excessive body roll. It also gets way more attention that I ever thought it would.

The Op's post is a little incoherent so I'm not sure what the real question is. If the question is performance I would go for the ISF over a Panamera unless it is a turbo, but that is a whole other ball park.
Old 06-30-15, 10:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Yup I would go out to lunch with this MD I know well and everyone at the stop lights is checking us out in his. That didnt happen in my LS lol.
Old 07-01-15, 06:33 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In terms of performance the panamera S or GTS would be a lateral move... it also seems that they are more common than the F. But if you're going for the Turbo version, different story. In terms of luxury it is a huge step up IMO.
Old 07-01-15, 10:18 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I've driven the Panamera GTS and it is one awesome car! It is a Porsche so it is bound to drive like one. I was disgusted by the way it looked when it first came out but the car grows and grows on you. I love the car now, looks and driving wise. The GTS is pretty unique too!

-Josh
Old 07-01-15, 10:31 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the best interiors hands down.
Old 07-01-15, 10:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I love the interior and I love the way they still use tons of buttons as opposed to all the menus . The car looks insane in white. If I were to go to the dark side and buy a German car the Panamerra would be it. But I would always have that feeling in the back of my mind ...."I hope is doesnt break "
Old 07-01-15, 11:24 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Sounds like a lot of us had the same thoughts. When it first came out, I was definitely not feeling it. I thought it was terrible. But after the last few years I'm actually liking the way it looks and what it is. For a car that long and heavy though, I'd want it in the turbo version if I were to "upgrade" from my F, and that's way more money than I want to spend.

This is the same thing I come back to with EVERY car I think I want instead of the ISF. For me to get something that would truly make me happier, I need to spend a lot of money. Based on the market, I could get maybe $35K for my car on a good day, and there's just nothing even remotely at the same price point that I'd rather have.
Old 07-01-15, 12:02 PM
TISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the panamera turbo s great and comfortable car. But it's like a whale. The Isf feels quicker during the rolls but once the panamera picks up that thing flys and it feels uncontrollable but still you feel in control its a weird feeling but still both great cars .
Old 07-01-15, 03:06 PM
Toomah1985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove panamera 4S , that my friend got , i love the look of that car, its way bigger than ISF , performance wised , wasnt impressed , i drove Bmw 535d with software 390HP and 850 NM torque (twin turbo diesel stock 310 hp 600NM ) at that time and my car due to its slight weight advantage and the torque would smoke it at any speed (i had no limiter, so the car would do 290km/h ) to me only panameras that r worth it is either diesel, u get the looks and MPG or the Turbo (turbo S) ,but that is different price range and the MPG ( owned 2005 Cayenne turbo and MPG was awful ).. The one my friend had was the 4S so 4wheel drive , witch im sure added some more weight , MPG was way worst than my ISF and I will say iSF is faster than panamera 4s from experience .... Gts and plain S cant judge ... Ive never driven those two ....