IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TEIN coilovers with EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-15, 04:53 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts
Default TEIN coilovers with EDFC

Is anyone running TEIN coilovers on their ISF?

I am personally big fan of KW V3 setup which is going to be most likely my choice when my shocks get shot. However, more I drive my Cayenne GTS, more I enjoy the adjustable suspension option.

Is here anyone on the forum with EDFC optioned set of TEIN coilovers?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-15, 05:06 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the worst JDM brand you can buy. Built qualities on the Tein are pretty crappy, one of the lowest priced JDM coilovers. I think you are better off spending more money. 15 years I have been around the JDM tuning market, I have heard countless complaints about their quality.
Old 06-30-15, 05:14 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from an STI, I never heard anyone complain about Tein however most people don't get Tein because you're just paying for that JDM factor. My friend had Tein coilovers on his STI with EDFC and I can tell you it really isn't anything special unless you're constantly messing with your damping.
Old 06-30-15, 06:25 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by subiepunk
I never heard anyone complain about Tein however most people don't get Tein because you're just paying for that JDM factor.
That's not saying much. Subaru owners rip on Honda guys as ricers to no end yet fully support Rota knock off wheels lol. Always found that double standard to be quite interesting.

Tein are considered to be inconsistent and pretty ****ty. Their valving isn't anything amazing thus spending big bucks for their top of the line suspension is about the equivalent to something like a KW V1.

KW's valving is where the quality lies. Much like Koni, which is an amazing bang for your buck and customizable.
Old 06-30-15, 08:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had Tein CST with EDFC on my GS and it was awesome. Tein isnt a bad brand in my opinion. The coil overs last over 100k. I traded the car with at 65K and then another CL member looked me up after buying the car and seeing all my pics on the forum and told me that the car is doing well and is still on the same coils and wheels. I think the CST is too soft for a car like the ISF unless its a kit made especially for the F. I really like the adjustability. I had the EDFC mounted in my arm rest. It was great
Old 06-30-15, 10:07 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the Tiens are regarded as the budget 'Stance' coilovers.... They never could break into the German market.
Old 07-01-15, 01:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Tein is junk. I would not run them on my dog's lawnmower. Sadly my Supra is on Tein HAs. They are only good at keeping the frame off the ground.

You would be wise to read this webpage before spending any money on shocks.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-01-15 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 01:23 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive had Tein on my Miata and they were blown within a year. Pass...
Old 07-01-15, 01:59 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In my experience Tein are not crap. I owned a pair of MONOFLEX coilovers and they worked great on and off track. I did get some shock dyno numbers from them, but I don't know where they are since I sold the car. They did break some basic rules like stating that they can adjust compression and rebound with oneknob (not true they only adjusted rebound ) . They never blew and they where not like many Japanese coilovers which are oversprung and underdamped. The problem with TEIN is that they sell budget coilovers and high quality coils and the majority of people buy the basic cheap A** coils and expect more than say, a MEGAN coilover. Brands like Penske,Ohlins, Bilstein, KW ect. just sell premium only coilovers meant for durability and track useage and don't have the budget packages that tarnish the name.
Old 07-01-15, 03:42 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've noticed TEIN coilovers to be decent. Like many said above, they are budget coilovers but the quality is okay. It's not great but at the same time they're not amazing.

If you really want amazing coilovers, I would highly recommend Aragosta coilovers. Aragosta suspension is used by many race teams in Japan.

They offer the Type-E, Type-S, and the Type-SS for the real track enthusiasts. I'd recommend some Aragosta's.
Old 07-01-15, 03:49 PM
FFM
Racer

I can agree with what Piston said. I think they likely do offer some higher end suspension which may be much better, but for that cost why not search some of the more reputable brands.

Hell I think even KSport makes some coilovers I've seen on track vehicles that must do well enough to handle that abuse. Even their brake kit tested on par with Brembos on an E92M test this last year. Doesn't change the fact that as a brand 90% of the rest of the products aren't up to that same standard.

But I think most people's complaints are likely due to purchasing the basic kits which aren't great.
Old 07-01-15, 04:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Tein's customer service is crap, and their dampers are inconsistent. If you want predictable performance, buy something that provides it.

It doesn't mean Tein can't be good if you rework them, it means out of the box they are very likely to be crap.
Old 07-02-15, 11:11 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on tein's are junk... Had them on my g37, terrible.
Old 07-02-15, 04:37 PM
FFM
Racer

Oddly enough, I had BC's on my Volvo and rode like complete dog **** no matter what I did adjustment wise. Yet I see E9XM's and even ISF guys rant and rave about em.

Wondering if applications vary in quality or if I just got a **** set.

Guess same could be said about many of the cheaper end coilovers. I had H&Rs with almost 70k miles on them, BC's for maybe 3 weeks, before getting another set of H&Rs they were that bad in comparison. Rode worse than my blown ones lol.
Old 07-03-15, 04:38 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish I would have paid the little extra and gotten KW's, I dont mind my teins as I really use to attain stance at this point, but I have blown two struts, and yes customer service is crap I can personally answer that one.

Quick Reply: TEIN coilovers with EDFC