IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Laggy up shift, sluggish feeling car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 11:33 PM
SubieDoo17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laggy up shift, sluggish feeling car.

Hey guys I recently traded in my 2013 Audi TTRS in a very limited edition color. For my 2008 Lexus ISF... With 71k Miles. And I feel as if the car is very sluggish and up shifts are slow even with sport mode on! My buddy has an ISF as well and he even said mine shifts slower than his. I was wondering if maybe the previous owner skipped a few key maintainence things to cause such an issue. And yes I know how to drive a care, yes it's in sport mode and yes the vehicle is warmed prior to stupidity. I'm just curious if anyone else is or has had such an issue. The last recorded maintenance was at 60K miles.
Old 06-29-15, 11:58 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

From my knowledge and from looking at the maintenance schedule, there wouldn't have been any maintenance to the transmission which the previous owner would have skipped. The good thing about Lexus is that they track maintenance that is performed at any Lexus dealerships. You just have to go to the Lexus service website and type in your vin to register the car to your account. From there you should be able to see the history of the car (assuming the previous owner(s) took the car to Lexus for maintenance). From my experience with the car, the up shifts and down shifts are pretty slow compared to dual clutch transmissions when you're at lower speeds and lower RPMs. It's usually pretty quick when you're really pushing it. However, my friends that have dual clutches all say that the shifts are still noticeably slower in the F compared to their cars.
Old 06-30-15, 10:37 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

From what i heard, you should try checking the spark plugs... they make a whole lot of difference
Old 06-30-15, 12:11 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
From what i heard, you should try checking the spark plugs... they make a whole lot of difference
For shift times?

There's no service required for the transmission as stated. Is it doing anything else that's strange? We're talking milliseconds so it's hard to say if it's truly slower than your friends isf.

Last edited by j3ff; 06-30-15 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 12:14 PM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the main difference is you're coming from a twin clutch that's in 2 gears at once and ready to grab vs. an auto. You're going to have some lag time compared to the old tranny even if it's just a fraction of a second more.
Old 06-30-15, 08:54 PM
SubieDoo17
Driver School Candidate

My Audi wasn't a twin clutch, it was a stick shift.

Me and him have the same year car, he has 10k less mileage, both bone stock and we had raced out of curiosity. He easily put 2 cars on me and kept pulling. From videos of what other people's cars and his own, plus another friends car. And the other car I test drove, my car does shift slow. You would pull the paddle prior to redline and it would still tag redline and it wouldn't shift right away, when it does shift its slow and not snappy into the next Gear.

I finally got ahold of the dealership that originally sold and did all the work to this car. The previous owner denied the 60k service and only got oil change and tire rotation as well as a new water pump.
Old 07-01-15, 05:55 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Generally when the car reacts extra sluggish its due to battery being disconnected and computers needing to relearn your driving style, take it out for a good drive and push it a bit to relearn.. just an idea based on my experiences.
Old 07-01-15, 06:11 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Perhaps a silly question, but are you in manual mode? They are slower in D.
Old 07-01-15, 01:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Have the fluid level checked. It's the only thing that can impact shift times. If it's low, it will shift slow and stick in gears especially after hard left hand turns.
Old 07-01-15, 05:51 PM
SubieDoo17
Driver School Candidate

I have done it in manual mode and D mode. Still acts the same. And it a going to the dealer next week so I'll see what all happens.
Old 07-05-15, 10:14 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SubieDoo17
I have done it in manual mode and D mode. Still acts the same. And it a going to the dealer next week so I'll see what all happens.
Pretty odd, and only time like you said the car will shift slower is when oil is not warmed up to operational tempatures, perhaps it's not the oiling issue as these are sealed transmission. Other causes could be the solenoid maybe it's acting up and not engaging as quickly as it should.

Does your friend have a stock Isf that he pulls on you or are they both stock?
Old 07-06-15, 07:19 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same feeling with my car that I just purchased. It is a 2010 with 38k and it doesn't "feel" as fast as I thought it might be. I am currently searching for a local and reputable dyno and I want to track it in the 1/4 mile so that I am not relying on feel. I did recently pull the battery for 15 mins, cleaned the K&N filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor. I noticed the indicated mileage improve by about 2mpg almost instantly and acceleration seemed more brisk but without the dyno I hesitate to say we are running the full 400+ crank hp. Anyway, I would start here as it is a simple and easy thing to try without spending a lot of money or time.
Old 07-06-15, 01:43 PM
SubieDoo17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Pretty odd, and only time like you said the car will shift slower is when oil is not warmed up to operational tempatures, perhaps it's not the oiling issue as these are sealed transmission. Other causes could be the solenoid maybe it's acting up and not engaging as quickly as it should.

Does your friend have a stock Isf that he pulls on you or are they both stock?

Me and my buddies ISF's are bone stock. And he also has 100lbs on me haha. And pulls 2 cars on me and you can hear his car shifts so much faster than mine. As I know that these are sealed transmissions, I honestly can't ever believe in LIFETIME oil... It's going to the dealer on Wednesday for its redo of the 60k since the previous owner opted out of doing it.... I'll have them double check everything and look up any updates if necessary
Old 07-06-15, 07:01 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Default Laggy up shift, sluggish feeling car.

Just found out the previous owner of my car skipped 60k as well, my car still feels like a monster (but I'm coming from a Subaru)

I'm at about 77k now, drove about 700 miles home from Arizona to NorCal with absolutely no issues. I've already scheduled everything at the 60k service for next Monday (soonest they could get me in)

Anyone think it's something to worry about? Think I should park the car and drive it only to the service or I should be fine putting another 100 miles (ish) on it until next Monday?
Old 07-06-15, 07:14 PM
pat1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lolfunxion
Just found out the previous owner of my car skipped 60k as well, my car still feels like a monster (but I'm coming from a Subaru)

I'm at about 77k now, drove about 700 miles home from Arizona to NorCal with absolutely no issues. I've already scheduled everything at the 60k service for next Monday (soonest they could get me in)

Anyone think it's something to worry about? Think I should park the car and drive it only to the service or I should be fine putting another 100 miles (ish) on it until next Monday?

Not going to hurt a thing. You could run it another 60k miles and it wouldn't run any different. What does the 60k service include?

I bet
Plugs
air filter
LOF
cabin filter
rotate and balance
alignment
maybe a brake flush

Quick Reply: Laggy up shift, sluggish feeling car.