IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

This is why I cant have nice things.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 06:14 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is why I cant have nice things.

So, I got caught in a pretty crazy storm this past weekend while I was out at a friends house. I checked the weather, saw a hail warning, and proceeded to try to get my ISF home ASAP. It was dark, and stormy, and there was debris in the road... long story short, I demolished my front passenger side wheel.

I think its pretty far beyond repairable, but thankfully my brake and rotor seem okay. I have been checking my tire pressure constantly since it happened, and I haven't lost any PSI yet, so hopefully the tire is okay too. I drove my car to work this morning, and I couldn't really notice any abnormalities in my handling, steering, braking, etc... (fingers crossed) So, aside from a small scratch on the side of my front end, and obviously, my mangled wheel, and my alignment/balance, is there anything else that I haven't accounted for and might have messed up?

Its just my luck, that I have only had this baby for a month and I have already damaged it. This is why I cant have nice things.

On that note, does anyone know how much a new wheel is going to cost me? Just from basic google searching, it seems like they run about $600. I had not previously had any intention of looking into aftermarket wheels, since I actually really liked the look of the stock ones, but would it be more economical to just get different wheels? I cant imagine aftermarket wheels being $600 a piece (but maybe I am very wrong about that... like i said, I haven't really done my research). I know there are other threads about wheels, but this seems like sort of a unique issue, since I dont really know what the hell to do in this situation. I feel like a dark bronze set of wheels would look really nice on a USB 08 ISF, but I haven't really seen anyone else with that set up. Do you guys think the bronze/blue combo is too juvenile / cliche / subaru-ish? I am just brain storming and venting, at this point, I dont know if I could really afford a new set of wheels yet, but if anyone has any ideas or advice, or if you guys know what sort of price ranges I am looking at for replacing 1 stock wheel or getting 4 aftermarket wheels, any input would really help ease my mind. (I realize that there is a really broad range of aftermarket wheel prices depending on brands and setups, but I wouldnt be looking to get anything crazy or change up my stance, I dont think. I am just trying to weigh my options, because $600 for 1 stock wheel doesnt really seem very economical)
Attached Thumbnails This is why I cant have nice things.-20150629_070859.jpg   This is why I cant have nice things.-20150629_070907.jpg  
Old 06-29-15, 06:21 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ml#post9090326
Old 06-29-15, 06:25 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry this happened to you. There are a few decent aftermarket wheels you can get for around $400-$600 per wheel. I think you may be able to get a set of new VMRs 19x8.5 /19.9.5 with offsets pretty close to stock for around the price you are looking at.

If you do find a replacement stock wheel, make sure the blades are angled the right direction before pulling the trigger!
Old 06-29-15, 06:28 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Just get aftermarket wheels. It's more practical.
Old 06-29-15, 06:35 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP it wasn't something you could have avoided. Getting hit by hail would've been worse.

I say window shop until you see something you like and maybe dedicate the set of oem to winters or send out for refinishing.
Old 06-29-15, 07:40 AM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I've seen much worse look like new after repair. Here in Houston, there are several repair shops. I would say get a quote, should be around $150 bucks at the most.
Old 06-29-15, 07:50 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That can be fixed. Wheel repair places will fill the gash with new metal and repaint the wheel
Old 06-29-15, 10:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

$275 to fix at Wheel Wizard in Atlanta. It will look brand new, and only you will know it is repaired.

They painted my 2014 wheels black and clear coated them.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-29-15 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 10:25 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I would check out e bay and club Lexus classifieds, even Craigslist. You'd be surprised at the amazing deals you come across. I would at least make an attempt to get the vehicle checked out. Make sure everything is okay. If everything checks out just be patient and wait for a good deal.
Old 06-29-15, 10:45 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

Call these guys there located in Baltimore .. http://awrswheelrepair.com/baltimore/
Old 06-29-15, 10:46 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

For $600 you could just wait for a set of oem's FS; it'd be a bit more of course but you could get a set of 2012+ if you like.

I'd just repair them like others have mentioned. If you do decide to buy make sure you get the correct wheel, they all have specific part #'s for each corner.
Old 06-29-15, 11:05 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

From the looks of it, I would say that isn't too bad and is repairable!

Lobux knows his facts and is very knowledgeable !!

-Josh
Old 06-29-15, 01:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

After market wheels will usually weigh more and will most likely never ride as vibration free . Repair would be best IMHO
Old 06-29-15, 02:18 PM
digtydog32
Driver School Candidate

damn...that's unfortunate
Old 06-29-15, 02:43 PM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Well, thanks so much for the help so far, everyone. Regardless of whether it is repairable (it looks worse in person, the lip is shaved down to nothing), or it has to be replaced, how does it work with the sensors for the TPMS and AFS? Is that complicated and do they have to be recalibrated or anything? Or can i just unplug and plug them back in myself? I have no idea how any of that works.

Quick Reply: This is why I cant have nice things.