IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-15, 09:28 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
OP, send a dealer complaint about the BMW dealership experience. You shouldn't have to fight or pay for repairs under warranty. A dealer should be thrilled to get warranty work. Its free money to them....

I drive 95% City and get 13.5-14.2 MPG... I don't drive fast -__- BUT, miles better than the C63's 11.5-12 MPG
Being from the other side of the fence (I'm an auto tech), I can tell you dealers themselves might like warranty, but good luck finding a tech who wants to be assigned "guess what's wrong" on a 15k transmission that BMW says can't be serviced, and won't be paid very well for his time (think maybe $25 in pocket if nothing is found). They just hand it off on the new guy, who doesn't find ****, then they charge you for their "wasted" time.

What really grills me, is they know I'm a tech, so they ignore my self diagnosis.

It took me, taking time out of work to lift my own car up, remove a ton of coverings and hunt for a leak. The leak wasn't the problem, but once the DCT has a small leak BMW has to drop the pans (mechatronics housing and DCT oil pan) to replace the seals. From there they discovered a faulty mechatronics unit and finally worked it out.
Old 06-28-15, 10:03 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

There's only one criterion, that if satisfied, the switch is a no-brainer: do you like the performance aspect of the ISF? (eg the handling, acceleration, balance)
If your answer is yes, then the switch is a no brainer.
You can beat this car into oblivion and get so much joy out of it and it won't turn its back on you.
I love the e9x M3s, but I honestly would not ever want to own one.
It's not fun to get enjoyment out of the car while simultaneously worrying what's about to go wrong, regardless of the driving experience you get.
I take it easy on my Evo and religiously check fluids once every two weeks. It is, afterall, a car with a reliability pedigree of a bimmer (albeit, it is surprisingly pretty reliable compared).
The ISF--you don't have to bother (although I still make sure my blinker fluid reservoir is topped up).
Old 06-28-15, 10:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I test drove the M3 before I bought my ISf and I though the interior wasnt as nice, but it did handle a little better and the steering felt weighted better, BUT I loved the delicious torque of the ISF. The M3 didnt have the grunt down low that I wanted. Add to that the inevitable issues because of the BMW badge and I said hell NO. I switched to Lexus back in the day from an Infiniti and didnt want to go backwards for 10% handling difference only to have unscheduled visits to the dealership.
Old 06-29-15, 01:37 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I test drove an ISF and an M3 when I was looking for my car. I personally felt like the M3 performed slightly better, but only slightly (both cars were 100% stock). It ended up coming down to reliability and which car I would worry the least about. I decided to sacrifice the slight bit of performance for peace of mind. Oh yeah, I also liked how the ISF was a bit more rare than the M3. I see M3's many times a week, but spotting an ISF is like spotting a Lamborghini.... It just doesn't happen very often.
Old 06-29-15, 01:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3

The rarity of the F makes it more desirable
Old 06-29-15, 02:23 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you get a 2011+ you'll get the same or better performance car as well as the reliability and perks that come with Lexus.
Old 06-29-15, 05:49 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just renewed my plates so I know my exact millage: 276,102 kms. No issues. Every feature works, no leaks, I don't even worry about it. I drive it in the snow, rain, wind, and it parks outside. I can't get over how reliable this car is (it's my fourth Lexus).

I usually get around 16 L/100km but I drive it hard, a few times I got into the 20 L/100km range, but I was really pushing it. I drove about 150km at 120km/h and got to about 10.5 L/100km which I was really impressed with.

Get it, you will be happy.
Old 06-29-15, 07:13 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice, that is great to hear ^^^
Old 06-29-15, 09:07 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

Sweet m3 you have there.. Switching to the ISF wouldn't exactly be a upgrade nor a downgrade... but you wouldn't regret it, thats for sure.
Old 06-30-15, 05:38 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is quite reliable. The most common issue I have seen is water pump leaking and thats on earlier models.

Cost on upkeep. My oil changes consist of motul 5w30 which is roughly 100 bucks for 10 liters + filter and plug crush washer. So not that far off from where you are now with the m3.
Wear items like brakes can be very cheap or expensive depending what you want as there is quite a few options

Transmission wise I have never heard of an 8 speed failing
Old 06-30-15, 06:36 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

M3 vs IS-F to really depends on what you want to do.

If you eventually plan to build an High HP car, the IS-F is NOT your car because of the tuning restrictions so dont expect to get more than what is offered out from factory. Some mods give a little more hp but not much. The IS-F is real reliable power when you want it all the time

the M3 has more upside on power as there is more of a tuning market however you know about the reliability aspect after the transmission job.

With any Lexus, you have to take it as it comes which a lot of the community has learned
Old 06-30-15, 09:53 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice M3, my buddy had a white E90 until he got divorced. I got to ride in that car quite often. You should test drive the car for sure before buying, the engine is very different. (Higher displacement, more low end torque, very strong top end as well)

Very reliable vehicle. With intake/exhaust/headers you can get 400RWHP.

Shoot for the 2011, they get Torsen LSD, upgraded interior, wheels etc.

9.8 quartz of RedLIne 5W-30 and you're ready to roll.
Old 06-30-15, 10:02 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U
How rare are blue ISF's? I see one for sale in Ontario with fairly low miles. My neighbour has a 2014 IS350 in that blue and I love it.
Pretty rare, the USB was the "Flagship" color, featured in the first page of the 2008 brochure.

I don't know the exact production numbers on the USB, but the car itself is very rare, so this color is even more rare.
Old 06-30-15, 10:05 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by 3SPKY5U
Would you say the ISF lands itself somewhat between the M3 and C63? I really dislike the utter lack of torque in my M3. When I floor it, it's like waiting for a turbo to spool. At about 4000RPM it picks up and goes hard to redline, but under that it's a slug. The ISF has a much nicer torque availability, which I feel like would translate to easier get up and goes. I would honestly prefer a solid auto over the dct. It's nice to have, shifts fast and all that, but when in traffic or driving slow, it throws you around the cockpit quite often from the clutch engaging and disengaging.
I would say so from driving all 3 cars. The C63 is really a MONSTER MOTOR, the IS-F is next.

You won't have any low end issues.
Old 06-30-15, 05:33 PM
3SPKY5U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hacker_720
I just renewed my plates so I know my exact millage: 276,102 kms. No issues. Every feature works, no leaks, I don't even worry about it. I drive it in the snow, rain, wind, and it parks outside. I can't get over how reliable this car is (it's my fourth Lexus).

I usually get around 16 L/100km but I drive it hard, a few times I got into the 20 L/100km range, but I was really pushing it. I drove about 150km at 120km/h and got to about 10.5 L/100km which I was really impressed with.

Get it, you will be happy.
Holy crap. I'd never dream of seeing a performance car that high. That's incredible man.

Originally Posted by teamcalvin
Sweet m3 you have there.. Switching to the ISF wouldn't exactly be a upgrade nor a downgrade... but you wouldn't regret it, thats for sure.
The plan is actually more of a cost saving initiative. I owe money on the M3, and I'm back finishing up my apprenticeship schooling soon, so I won't have income. I could still support keeping the M, but I figured it would be less worry on me if I had a super reliable car with a similar feel. And ISF's can be had cheaper. That and I'm very partial to V8's (This would be my 5th).

I see one USB car for sale, but it's out in Ontario. There seems to be slim pickings for Alberta cars, a bunch of silver (not a fan).

Last edited by 3SPKY5U; 06-30-15 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of coming to an ISF from an M3