IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Intake mod .... What do u think ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 06:03 PM
Toomah1985
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake mod .... What do u think ?

Hey guys,
What do u think about running this set-up (breathers and 3.5 inch tube)?
Anybody running something similiar ?

Old 06-26-15, 06:48 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

whats your reasoning for putting on a breather filter?
Old 06-26-15, 07:50 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I would not use that setup. No downside to running the PCV hose to the induction.

Downside of open breather is now all air the engine is ingesting via PCV is no longer measured by the mass airflow sensor which in turn drives fuel trims positive.
Old 06-26-15, 08:59 PM
Toomah1985
Driver School Candidate

Well i was thinking about air intake or intake tube , but my inspiration came from Lexus CCS-R , so i asked my friend who is a mechanic at my Lexus dealer about it and he told me to do this set up, that prototypes of our cars didnt have the lines going to the intake and that they had just plain caps on valve covers, so he told me to put breathers on it , my experience is that the car gained with this and secondary cats removed a little over 2MPG on the same road , at the same speed , going to my office and i averaged 24.9 MPG going cruise controlled 82 MPH to canada and back, no issues , car feels a little more responsive , but could be just me .....

Old 06-26-15, 10:46 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Reminds me of the RR racing intake..?

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-26-15, 11:33 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Personally I would not use that setup. No downside to running the PCV hose to the induction.

Downside of open breather is now all air the engine is ingesting via PCV is no longer measured by the mass airflow sensor which in turn drives fuel trims positive.
The air would go into the crank case not the cylinders so no need to monitor it and the crank case is actually under pressure so the air would exit the filter not be drawn in. The down side to running the vent hose to the intake is that oil vapors will effectively reduce octane content. You may get an oil smell in the cabin of the car, a catch can set up might be a better option but the filter will work I have used them on other cars before.
Old 06-27-15, 05:27 AM
Toomah1985
Driver School Candidate

I will keep you guys posted, so far after checking the breathers, just minimal sign of oil inside nothing outside, throttle body nice and clean.... Gonna put wrap on it to keep it cooler ..... Tonight im going to the track, so ill post the outcome, whether there was a lot of oil coming through the breathers and if it actually made any difference..... The intake is just 3-3.5 inch , custom 3.5 inch polished 90 with large diameter , was told at my performance shop its better that the sharp 90 and then 3.5-3.5 inch to connect to the throttle body .... Thank you for your replies and thoughts
Old 06-27-15, 07:54 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! let us know how it goes.
Old 06-27-15, 05:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
The air would go into the crank case not the cylinders so no need to monitor it and the crank case is actually under pressure so the air would exit the filter not be drawn in. The down side to running the vent hose to the intake is that oil vapors will effectively reduce octane content. You may get an oil smell in the cabin of the car, a catch can set up might be a better option but the filter will work I have used them on other cars before.
How do you arrive at this conclusion? The breather tubes are not for exhaust unless you remove the PCV valve and cap it off too. The crankcase should never be at positive pressure unless you want to lose power.

Drag racers put scavenge pumps on the crankcase to ensure negative pressure in the crankcase and increase horsepower. Piston speed is pressure differential. Anything increasing pressure on the crankcase side reduces power by increasing pumping losses.
Old 06-27-15, 05:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Toomah1985
I will keep you guys posted, so far after checking the breathers, just minimal sign of oil inside nothing outside, throttle body nice and clean.... Gonna put wrap on it to keep it cooler ..... Tonight im going to the track, so ill post the outcome, whether there was a lot of oil coming through the breathers and if it actually made any difference..... The intake is just 3-3.5 inch , custom 3.5 inch polished 90 with large diameter , was told at my performance shop its better that the sharp 90 and then 3.5-3.5 inch to connect to the throttle body .... Thank you for your replies and thoughts
Airflow through the tubes is from the intake into the engine, not the other way around. If there is oil showing up in the air intake tube from the valve covers you have a ring problem - excessive blow by.
Old 06-27-15, 05:59 PM
INTMD8
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
This is incorrect.

During part throttle or any condition there is vacuum in the intake manifold, air is drawn from the pcv hose connected to the induction, through the crankcase, through the pcv valve then into the intake manifold. Thus, PCV air is being consumed by the engine and is measured by the mass airflow sensor.

When you remove the hose from the valve covers to the induction the engine draws in air through the breathers, MAF doesn't read it, fuel trims go positive.

Under WOT, there is little vacuum in the intake manifold and crankcase vapors may be drawn into the induction tube through the hose from the valve covers as there would be a very slight pressure drop across the air filter. (and possibly would vent to atmosphere through open breathers).

Still doesn't change the fact that it will drive fuel trims positive under any other condition.
Old 06-27-15, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by INTMD8
This is incorrect.

During part throttle or any condition there is vacuum in the intake manifold, air is drawn from the pcv hose connected to the induction, through the crankcase, through the pcv valve then into the intake manifold. Thus, PCV air is being consumed by the engine and is measured by the mass airflow sensor.

When you remove the hose from the valve covers to the induction the engine draws in air through the breathers, MAF doesn't read it, fuel trims go positive.

Under WOT, there is little vacuum in the intake manifold and crankcase vapors may be drawn into the induction tube through the hose from the valve covers as there would be a very slight pressure drop across the air filter. (and possibly would vent to atmosphere through open breathers).

Still doesn't change the fact that it will drive fuel trims positive under any other condition.
Sort of. The problem is, the ECM will use wideband feedback from the primary O2 sensors and adjust ST, then LT to compensate. This is a big part of why piggybacks don't work well on Toyota products.
Old 06-29-15, 07:19 PM
Toomah1985
Driver School Candidate

So the outcome of the track night is , that the mod doesnt hurt the performance, but except for noise doesnt do much either... Wanted to test it and see .... Planning on doing some modding, just getting all the plans together.....so i guess hps or joez intake tube does the same maybe even better, well of to the next intake
Old 06-30-15, 09:42 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Joez, intake and exhaust and then aftermarket headers are you best bet.