IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus dealership fraud? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 11:15 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Update

Thanks everyone for reading, dealer went above and beyond to fix all issues.

Last edited by ap2s2k; 06-24-15 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Satisfactory resolution met by a dealership.
Old 06-20-15, 01:57 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Contact ur sa and let him/her what happened. Mentioned that u have a dash cam to prove it. In addition let ur sa know that ur going to contact the corporate as well.
Old 06-20-15, 04:05 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't even bother with the SA, go straight to the top, Service Manager and tell him the story and mention you have it all recorded.

Hearing stuff like this just boils my blood. I seriously want to learn how to do certain things on my car on my own.
Old 06-20-15, 05:01 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done many brake jobs on Hondas and acuras in the past on my own and other family members cars. I'm an average do it yourselfer and I can't imagine an easier car to do brakes on such as the ISF. The brembo caliper is designed in a way that makes the job so pleasurable. Maybe im doing the job in a way that's incorrect which is preventing me from knowing just how hard the job really is.....
Old 06-20-15, 05:22 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. I was expecting the person to beat on the car or something, not a petulant post about how the tech might not be fluent on a ISF. What you did is stereotyping and it's pretty ridiculous.
Even if you got a Lexus tech, they may have never actually worked on an ISF and the tech you had may have worked on ISF before and simply isn't completely fluent on the history back to the design days. You know why? Because this isn't his car and he sees thousands of cars.
Also, you're supposed to check the engine after the oil is up to operating temperature, then shut it down and wait 5-10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Not wait overnight and check it.
You can complain about the charges for labor cost and have them recheck the work, but the rest of this is ridiculous. Maybe you should do the work yourself.
Old 06-20-15, 05:45 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The techs all probably work for the same parent company. There were only 10,000 of these cars made so it's not all that surprising that the tech was unfamiliar with it. I don't really see what the big deal is.
Old 06-20-15, 06:00 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to Toyota for oil changes and basic service, most recently an alignment, since there isn't a Lexus dealership nearby. They've always done a great job.

I can definitely understand being upset over the mistakes that were made and that your car wasn't handled with more care, but I wouldn't be sure Lexus tech vs Toyota tech is a factor in this.
Old 06-20-15, 06:10 PM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. I was expecting the person to beat on the car or something, not a petulant post about how the tech might not be fluent on a ISF. What you did is stereotyping and it's pretty ridiculous.
Even if you got a Lexus tech, they may have never actually worked on an ISF and the tech you had may have worked on ISF before and simply isn't completely fluent on the history back to the design days. You know why? Because this isn't his car and he sees thousands of cars.
Also, you're supposed to check the engine after the oil is up to operating temperature, then shut it down and wait 5-10 minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan. Not wait overnight and check it.
You can complain about the charges for labor cost and have them recheck the work, but the rest of this is ridiculous. Maybe you should do the work yourself.
I work on my cars after warranty expires. Did few engine swaps on Hondas myself back in the day and I still wrench on my other cars. My point of the post is, if I pay $130HR for a service to a Lexus mechanic, I expect to have him work on my car. I could of drive my car into a Toyota bay few feet away and save some coin but I didn't. If they are to busy, they should ether reschedule or inform customers of possibility of service in Toyota dealership. Not outsource the job behind customer back to unhappy Toyota tech and still charge their premiums.
Old 06-20-15, 06:13 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there a price difference in the Toyota tech vs Lexus tech? Maybe ask for a refund of the difference if so.
Old 06-22-15, 09:29 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
You clearly missed the point, I wouldn't be surprised an apprentice did the oil change there as its a stepping stone for this perticular dealership . Since we drive the same cars and use this same dealer I as an Isf owners expect service from a Lexus trained tech. Now I will need to bring this issue up if I decide to take my car there. I'm sure dealers send out their top guys for class and information sessions regarding the Isf when it came out . And yes if you are paying for service at a higher level and receiving it from a lower level where it cost less I'm sure it's considered fraud in the financial aspect of things. Since you payed for service that wasn't appropriately adjusted. I would call the higher ups ,

So the oil change apprentice techs pretty much were thinking your car was a F Sport with an auto since they mentioned they had driven a manual before prolly is250 manual . Wow no respect and knowledge of what Japanese made Macinery they were touching, what a shame.

Ps let me borrow your camera I'm due for an oil change, if they pull this bs
I'll be receiving free oil changes for the remainder of my warranty. You need to open up a can of warms

Good luck

Last edited by ForzaF; 06-22-15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 09:58 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2s2k
That's when I noticed my performance car is serviced by a guy who wasn't even train to work on anything this caliber, doesn't know what type of car he is driving/working on, unenthusiastic Corolla tech. Yes, my lexus dealer gave my car to a toyota tech to perform service on it.
Sorry to hear about your troubles, and not to bust your chops, but seriously, what makes you think Lexus Techs are any better than Toyota Techs? Lexus techs don't get any more special training than the guys at Toyota. Toyota techs actually see and work on more types of vehicles than Lexus techs do. Sure, Lexus does charge more, but they're all still under Toyota.
Old 06-23-15, 04:18 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

It would only be "fraud" if they deliberately charged you for a service they had no intention of giving you... so if the labor rates for a Toyota tech are different than those for a Lexus tech and they charged you the higher rate. But really, this car is not an LFA or something requires a special school to learn how to work on. I have had oil changes and simple service performed at a Toyota dealership before and had no problems with it. In my area, the Lexus techs are not necessarily any more skilled or specially trained than the Toyota techs. In fact, Toyota has far more volume, and I'd expect those techs to see far more vehicles on a daily basis.

Now if the tech that worked on your car didn't know what he was doing, and you got a bad brake job, complain to the manager and take it back to get fixed the right way, or get a refund for what you paid. I do not think arguing that the guy who worked on your car was a Toyota guy is the right way to go about this though.
Old 06-23-15, 06:10 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read some nonsense in my days but this post is up there with the best of them... I'm sorry you are butt hurt because someone spoke smack on your car Now that we're done with the apologies here is why your brake fluid is filled to the max line of the reservoir. A brake fluid flushing machine is attached to the master cylinder, this machine has pressurized fluid in it, the fluid then flows to each wheel when the bleeder on the brake caliper is opened. When the fluid runs clear the tech knows he is done. Despite your postulation that the tech was an ignoramus, the brakes on your 60k Lexus are no different (other than the fact that their are Brembo calipers) than a Toyota Corolla. If air was somehow introduced into the brake fluid this would cause the low brake pedal you speak of. If you are unhappy with the results, (and I surly would be due to the "pedal going to the floor") I would take it back and ask them to please repeat the service.
I am not sure of the laws in Canada, but in the U.S. You would be guilty of illegal wiretapping by recording someone's face and voice without their consent in a place of perceived privacy, ergo you are walking on a very slippery slope here with this video.
Old 06-23-15, 08:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
...I am not sure of the laws in Canada, but in the U.S. You would be guilty of illegal wiretapping by recording someone's face and voice without their consent in a place of perceived privacy, ergo you are walking on a very slippery slope here with this video.
I've been wondering about this too. Penalties for this can be pretty severe. Might want to check your state/local government before recording something when you are not present.
Old 06-23-15, 09:49 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is curious about laws around recording in shops with dash cams we had a local guy outraged when his dash cam recorded some dealership janitors sitting in his car.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealership fraud? What would you do?