Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 12:34 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
this is a good mod and that its going to help keep the engine running cleaner, smoother, and with less detonation under hard driving. It's $160 for God's sake . Just do it !! LOL
Oh I will! I'm just trying to decide what else I can't live without and order it all at once, hahaha.
Old 07-22-15, 12:51 PM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is on the way!
Old 08-02-15, 10:24 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone having experiences with the catch can slip ring loosening over time? Had to tighten mine a few times already. Not under the assumption I need to pull out the channel locks... Wouldn't consider myself to have a weak grip. Product is doing its job as described saved myself at least 2 tablespoons of self ingestion over the past month. Overall, very happy with it. Potential air leak as well? Very difficult to hear over all the engine noise but hearing a hissing around the a/o. No CEL codes
Old 08-03-15, 06:59 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had any issues and all I did was hand tighten it. I did pull all the hoses and reconnected into the fittings to make sure they were properly seated.

Did you make sure you have the rubber "O" ring?
Old 08-03-15, 07:24 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I was looking at engine bay pics of the Lexus IS-F CCS-R which was tested under extreme racing conditions.

What are those custom race parts found on the top-left of the engine bay (passenger side) where the battery would be?

the item to the left is a Coolant swirl pot, helps keep air out of the system and helps circulation.

the item to the right with out a doubt looks like a catch can that is vented to the air.
Old 08-03-15, 09:22 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 08-06-15, 08:36 AM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a few track days now and haven't really noticed any smoke. That said, I have seen smoke from ZaxF before.

We also noticed the other week that one of the fittings on Meanstreak's ISF had snapped. Maybe he just got unlucky. It would probably be a good idea for you guys to check them every so often.
Old 08-06-15, 09:06 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by torxuvin
Maybe he just got unlucky.
I'm hoping that is the case. The T-fitting that cracked was related to the air intake setup not the AOS though. It was where the small filter attaches to the valve cover breather tubes. I have no idea how this could have broken unless the filter was in a bind against the firewall. BTW - I contacted RR and they quickly shipped replacement parts at no charge so kudos to the customer service.

As far as the AOS goes - the most immediate thing I noticed was that my car no longer hesitated around the 5000 rpm mark. It has always done so during repeated thrashings so I assumed it was just inherent. The "lag" was also apparent on my dyno charts where the HP stalls around 4800 and then takes off again above 5200. Perhaps the ECU was pulling timing. I don't have any data to substantiate but that would be my guess. After installing the AOS, it seems to pull very smooth and hard all the way to redline every time. If I get a chance to re-dyno I will see if there is any change in the shape of the curve. I've put about 400 miles on it (mostly interstate going down and back to Road Atlanta) and it has collected maybe 2 tablespoons of oil. I look forward to seeing what it does when I finally get the rocket on the track.
Old 08-06-15, 09:17 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
I'm hoping that is the case. The T-fitting that cracked was related to the air intake setup not the AOS though. It was where the small filter attaches to the valve cover breather tubes. I have no idea how this could have broken unless the filter was in a bind against the firewall. BTW - I contacted RR and they quickly shipped replacement parts at no charge so kudos to the customer service..
The exact same thing happened to me. I found an exact fit replacement at Lowes for a couple dollars, and it seems to be a more durable (less brittle) part. When I was at RR Racing a couple weeks ago, I mentioned this to Rafi in case it becomes a common issue.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator-breather-fix.jpg  

Last edited by mikersoft; 08-06-15 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 10:29 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

This is the replacement part RR sent. Won't be breaking this one...

Old 08-07-15, 04:30 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

So with the aos hooked up the bungs on the valve covers are ran to a t fitting with a small air filter?
Old 08-07-15, 04:50 AM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justind27
So with the aos hooked up the bungs on the valve covers are ran to a t fitting with a small air filter?

You are correct
Old 08-07-15, 05:52 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Justind27
Actually, the AOS system has nothing to do with the valve cover breathers. It is a stand alone system that connects in line with the existing PCV system and will work with the stock valve cover venting system which connects back to the intake. The RR Racing intake vents the valve covers to atmosphere which is where the small breather comes into play and the cracked fitting we were discussing. These two systems work well together but can be installed independently.
Old 08-07-15, 10:19 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok that's what I was wondering, I ordered a universal moroso aos on Amazon and have an abundance of an fitting and line to make my own kit. Not to say Chinese blue print but make my own kit but still retain my takeda intake
Old 08-08-15, 01:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dcguy
Anyone having experiences with the catch can slip ring loosening over time? Had to tighten mine a few times already. Not under the assumption I need to pull out the channel locks... Wouldn't consider myself to have a weak grip. Product is doing its job as described saved myself at least 2 tablespoons of self ingestion over the past month. Overall, very happy with it. Potential air leak as well? Very difficult to hear over all the engine noise but hearing a hissing around the a/o. No CEL codes
checked mine and its tight . Really tight. Remember that when you try to position the marker gauge so its visible maybe by twisting it after it tightened you may have loosened it a bit

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator