IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 12:14 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Just finished installing mine, very very easy. Looking forward to test this out on the track. I'm predicting I will accumulate almost a full quart of oil during my next session based upon where the oil is on the dipstick when I'm done.
Post pics. Im going to check min every month as I only drive on weekends. I will post pics as well.
Old 07-09-15, 12:36 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got mine, will install this next week. I'll be out of town this weekend.
Old 07-09-15, 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Good to hear . Sounds like the ao separator and bushings will be simple .
Old 07-10-15, 07:33 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Installed mine today, slightly tight fit with the wire loom but once you loosen them up it all fits well:

Name:  74ACD987-4D96-4141-ADCD-5D0FABF997FD_zpsvleaagbo.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  157.6 KB

Name:  F4E1B301-EDE1-42E7-8C07-0481B20FE658_zpsab32tqi4.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  175.8 KB
Old 07-10-15, 08:34 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
Installed mine today, slightly tight fit with the wire loom but once you loosen them up it all fits well:

Yea. Mine was the same. What I did was take that grey wire clamp apart. Flip it around and move it up the loom about an inch towards the engine. Then plug it back in the metal buckle. It gave slack to the wire loom. I dont like wires pulling. All they need to do is pull out and it will be a world win of chit.

Bro clean that engine bay. I see finger prints!!!
Old 07-10-15, 09:06 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
Yea. Mine was the same. What I did was take that grey wire clamp apart. Flip it around and move it up the loom about an inch towards the engine. Then plug it back in the metal buckle. It gave slack to the wire loom. I dont like wires pulling. All they need to do is pull out and it will be a world win of chit.

Bro clean that engine bay. I see finger prints!!!
Hey dude,

Any chance you can snap a picture or two of the relocated grey wire clamp? Be useful to see where you relocated it.

Cheers.

Peter
Old 07-10-15, 09:19 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Compthis
Just finished installing mine, very very easy. Looking forward to test this out on the track. I'm predicting I will accumulate almost a full quart of oil during my next session based upon where the oil is on the dipstick when I'm done.
Damn, that's a lot of oil if you accumulate a quart! I wonder if in testing the 2UR-GSE the engineers noticed the oil consumption and thought it was acceptable? They had to notice some oil consumption based on their rigorous testing of the motor
Old 07-10-15, 10:37 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd think you'd have bigger issues if you're losing a quart each track day
Old 07-10-15, 10:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by streetx
My first track weekend, I noticed I was half a quart low on Sunday morning after 2 hours on track Saturday. It didn't mean a lot to me for two reasons, first, I didn't check it before the weekend started, second, I brought oil with me to top off.

Since then I've been to three more track weekends and seen zero change in oil level from start to finish, and even with a 12k mile OCI (yes, that includes track weekends), I have never seen the oil level move appreciably. More importantly, I have never seen blue or white smoke from the exhaust, nor have I had a track official tell me there was an issue.

Everyone will see black smoke. Lexus fuel maps are pig rich on top. If you see anything other than black, you have a problem.

Keep in mind, this is VERY engine specific and IME has a lot to do with ring fit and how you broke in your engine. I have my own opinions about this, but oil consumption is one of the things my break-in method has shown to improve over many years and many engines.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-10-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-10-15, 12:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I figure why not be safe ?? I think it's a great idea, easy install , its only $160, its going to help keep the engine cleaner and running better by reducing the nasty deposits that will come over time, and will prevent detonation that will force the ECU to retard timing ( for those cars that do have more significant oil consumption )therefore less power . Especially on the cars that are daily drivers with lots of mileage or people who track the cars ( LOL or push their cars daily in the AZ heat ). That vapor exists in all cars so why not significantly reduce the amount the equation and simply have the tech at the dealership empty the can at scheduled oil change. For those who track their F's like myself I will simply do it at the track as well as having the tech do it when I take her in for service. It is one more thing to have to maintain but I think it will be worth it in terms of maintaining the highest level of performance and even fuel economy for the car over the years. When you add the fact that DI engines do have more issues with carbon build up than a port injected engine this is a no brainer imho. AO separator or no AO separator you will have deposits but why not slow it down and keep her running better ??
Old 07-10-15, 12:59 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that having a catch can or AOS is beneficial, what i was trying to point out is our motors dont have an issue with oil consumption and if compthis car is blowing through a quart on one track day i'd be a little bit worried
Old 07-10-15, 01:28 PM
Compthis
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetx
I have never lost a drop of oil before going to the track. That's one thing that amazed me that no matter how hard I pushed on the street, Ive never lost oil. It's the first turn after the front straight in this video (about 22 seconds) where I blow smoke down the back straight. This got worse once I got slicks as I was able to hit the corner at higher speeds, sending the oil higher up the engine. I'm not concerned at all, the oil level goes nowhere as long as I stay off the track. I will follow up on how much oil is picked up on my next session. A quart is only a guess at this point.

Last edited by Compthis; 07-10-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 05:01 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator

Other than RR have any of you guys gotten some track use on this yet? I may take the plunge and install it before AMS on the 19th.
Old 07-10-15, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

In the end all Im saying it why not play it safe, especially if you track the car. I do AND I live in AZ. If it doesnt collect anything significant ( doubtful but unsure ), then I will remove the AO separator . I figure for $160 and what some are calling a 20 minute install its a no brainer if it will help reduce the amount of deposits internally and provide the cleanest possible burn. We will see. My next track day is not until October/November, but I will see what it collects on the street and the higher speeds I run on the highway in July and August in AZ.
Old 07-10-15, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In the end all Im saying it why not play it safe, especially if you track the car. I do AND I live in AZ. If it doesnt collect anything significant ( doubtful but unsure ), then I will remove the AO separator . I figure for $160 and what some are calling a 20 minute install its a no brainer if it will help reduce the amount of deposits internally and provide the cleanest possible burn. We will see. My next track day is not until October/November, but I will see what it collects on the street and the higher speeds I run on the highway in July and August in AZ.
So I should have my tonsils removed to "play it safe" just like all the kids I knew back in the 60's?

I address problems, not fears. I don't introduce additional points of failure without careful consideration. I worked on airplanes too long to take that approach. My car does not exhibit these problems even at the track.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with the RR Racing Air/Oil Separator