IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 08:43 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't need brakes right now, but when I do I think im going to try RR Racing rout. Products seem well researched and produced and the price is low enough not to worry to much about.
Old 06-17-15, 11:32 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

The benefits of our Rotors are best explained with the independant article by MotoIQ
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...gineering.aspx

We also have a combo package on front and rear currently discount pretty significantly.

What sets our rotors apart for every other offering is:
1. True center mount design which has alternating mounts from both the front and rear casting. This makes them extremely balanced, offers superior cooling because the ventilation is more effective and also allows for a longer rotor expansion travel distance during braking.
2. The metallurgy: Heat-treated G3500 racing formula iron with 35,000psi tensile vs typical 30,000. With all of the testing we have done, we are still on the same rings. That is roughly 12 track and autocross type of events and over 50K miles. The rotors will need to be replaced from expansion fatigue before they will wear out. In street applications we anticipate they will never need replacement. We are also able to run XP8 pads effectively on the track and generally have better modulation and thermal recovery than OE rotors and the XP12-20 compound.
3. Open slot technology allows a vent and slot in one while taking advantage of the convergent turbulent vane design RB has patented.
4. We retain parking brake function via a bimetal hat. That means the rear still benefits from the lighter aluminum hat with a cast iron sleeve to hand the parking shoes.

5. 6 month warranty against warpage/cracking for street driving.
6. EDP coating, which is a more uniform and resistant layer than zinc for corrosion. It also conforms better to the internal vane elements, meaning the rotors will not corrode from the inside out. We are moving to 100% EDP now on our rotors, just to get 100% coverage for that small lip that can form outside the factory pad wiping area.
7. Post surface finish balancing means all rotors are going to be true as they mount on the hub. This is an important closed loop procedure in the QA process.
8.All venting features are intrinsic to the manufacturing process, meaning the open slot features are not machined after the fact.
9.A System of braking design that is rooted in road course track use that is periodic brake intensive and typically has higher thermal swing than other types of motorsports. We provide front pads that are developed to work best with out rotor formula all derived from RB in-house testing.

We only have one partner for a reason and that is because we feel they manufacture the best product. We co-engineer each application and have design control to make rapid changes should there be any issues. So far I think we have come up with a top tier product, regardless of the 4 majors out there, RB is doing US R&D and manufacturing and making inroads on providing superior technology at a price that reflects a lack of marketing overhead. We can also leverage the same components to provide long term upgrades to our 380mm/360mm kits if that becomes a desire down the road.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 06-18-15 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 02:19 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I don't need brakes right now, but when I do I think im going to try RR Racing rout. Products seem well researched and produced and the price is low enough not to worry to much about.
Not directly related, but I noticed you have an FRS... we now introducing a huge range of BBK's (from street 1 piece to all out competition) we developed for your FRS. These are the kits we developed and tested on the Element Tuning Time Attack FRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0UKvK4bfJE#t=65

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 06-18-15, 05:18 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

I replaced the stock rotors on my 2013 with FIGS/RB 2 piece at around 2K miles. Here they are at almost 11K hard miles. I'm on Porterfield R4S pads.

Front

Rear, cross hatch machining still visible.
Old 06-18-15, 07:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Rear brakes don't do jack on this car. I'm at nearly 120k miles and still running the same pads and rotors in the back. Nowhere near needing replacement. Fronts are a whole different story.

When I see someone else with the Lexus on the front caliper turned from silver to gold, I'll pay attention to what they are saying. Until then, it's all conjecture IMHO.
Old 06-18-15, 08:07 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Rear brakes don't do jack on this car. I'm at nearly 120k miles and still running the same pads and rotors in the back. Nowhere near needing replacement. Fronts are a whole different story.

When I see someone else with the Lexus on the front caliper turned from silver to gold, I'll pay attention to what they are saying. Until then, it's all conjecture IMHO.
Not asking for anyone's attention, I know how rear brakes work. Thanks.
Old 06-19-15, 08:41 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

lobuxracer -- you are totally right, rear doesn't do nearly as much as front.

BUT, we did an experiment where we installed our IS/GS rear 4 piston brake kit on our ISF for track testing. This kit consists of stock 13.6 rotor with Wilwood Forged Superlite 4 piston radial mount calipers. We ran the same pad, Hawk HP-Plus, front and rear, and noticed front rotor temps go down by about 100F, and rear went up by about the same margin. This is due to the fact that we are using higher piston area in the back vs the OEM 2 piston Brembo calipers, and shifting bias to the rear.

Now, I am not saying your typical 60-0 stopping distances will go down, that is mainly a factor of your tire grip. We did back to back 60-0 testing with both setups, and stopping distances were the same, with a bit more ABS activation with our 4 piston kit when the tires were cold.

When we tested at the track where you have higher speed 130+mph brake zones, shifting the bias to the rear reduced front rotor temps. I would like to have done back to back 100+mph stopping distance tests, but it is very hard to setup on public roads (or track).

RR-Racing ISF 4 Piston Rear Caliper Upgrade Kit:

Rafi

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-19-15 at 08:58 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-19-15, 02:15 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I replaced the stock rotors on my 2013 with FIGS/RB 2 piece at around 2K miles. Here they are at almost 11K hard miles. I'm on Porterfield R4S pads.

Rear, cross hatch machining still visible.
Here's what my fronts look like after less than 1000 miles...200 of those getting roasted on track.
Attached Thumbnails Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?-dsc02438.jpg   Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?-dsc02435.jpg  
Old 06-19-15, 02:40 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Here's what my fronts look like after less than 1000 miles...200 of those getting roasted on track.
Since we are all showing off our rotors, here are our 2 piece rotors after 6 track days and almost 10,000 miles with lots on-road brake testing. We experimented with 3 different pads on this set of rotors... Endless MX72's, Hawk HP-Plus, and Hawk DTC-60's.

We went with the cross drilled rotor version just to test how they will hold up on the track... and they are doing very well. We get some microcracking but that is totally normal and this rotor will last a while longer for sure.

Last edited by RRRacing; 06-19-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-12-20, 03:51 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Any updates from guys running 2 piece rotors on longevity and noise (if any)?

RR has a killer deal for black Friday on their rotors
Old 11-12-20, 08:17 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Have had mine for 6 months, 5k miles and 3 track days on Winmax W6 pads. Still look great and perform great on the track. I know 1 owner who got 10+ track days out of them and another owner who only got 3 track days out them (which IMO is a possible pad issue). Only down side is that you can only get replacements from RR, not even Girodisc.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 09:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^That's a pretty big downside

Lou
The following users liked this post:
FinLIFE (11-14-20)
Old 11-12-20, 11:35 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexicon72
Have had mine for 6 months, 5k miles and 3 track days on Winmax W6 pads. Still look great and perform great on the track. I know 1 owner who got 10+ track days out of them and another owner who only got 3 track days out them (which IMO is a possible pad issue). Only down side is that you can only get replacements from RR, not even Girodisc.
How much are the blanks from RR?.........have you measured the thickness of your rotors to see what is remaining? I know stock is what 30mm & these are the same thickness as stock @ 30mm
Old 11-13-20, 10:09 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

oh better yet, if u going to keep your F for long long time then do CCB rotors found the front , but still searching for the rear profile to fit the F
Old 11-13-20, 10:13 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Wow! How much those cost? And who do you get them from

Quick Reply: Should I buy 2 piece rotors, or stay with stock brembo rotors?